Possible To Get Thai Motorcycle License Without A Visa?

stoli

My son is coming to visit me soon for 30 days from the US and will not need a Visa. Since I do have Thai drivers licenses, I would like to rent a bike for him to go riding with me. Is it possible for him to take the M/C drivers test here and get a license without a Visa so that he can be legal while here? It cost hundreds of US dollars now to get a motorcycle drivers license in the states as you need to pay $175 just to go to a motorcycle driving school first. He has owned dirt bikes for many years, but has never needed a motorcycle drivers license for that so our best option is obtaining the license here if possible. As a last resort, I will get him a 3 month Visa if I have to, but would rather not incur the time & expense. Any good advice is appreciated.

Used to be no problem obtaining a one year license on just a visa exempt entry in Pattaya.

However I recently saw this disconcerting post. Maybe you can go to the DLT and make an appointment ahead of you sons arrival, to speed things up.

Edited by MTH

Used to be no problem obtaining a one year license on just a visa exempt entry in Pattaya.

However I recently saw this disconcerting post. Maybe you can go to the DLT and make an appointment ahead of you sons arrival, to speed things up.

Thanks for posting that info. I will check into making an appointment if that is all that was needed. I was afraid that they would not provide a license without a Visa. Still wondering if they will on just a 30 day stay.

There is no need to make an appointment however he will need the normal Residence letter from Immigration and without a visa I don't see how he can get one.

Do you think it is really a good idea to let him drive here if he has only ever ridden dirt bikes in the US? You could be signing his deat warrant you know? Better to just take him along with you or rent a car for awhile if it is a matter of to many people for 1 bike (wife etc.).

I've been riding here for 13 years and still it's never a breeze to ride anywhere in Thailand.

I would highly recommend with the info you have given us that if you want to keep your son, you should NOT let hime ride a bike. Even crossing the roads here are not easy on foot.

• Like 1

I recently got my Thai motorbike licence with a Visa on Arrival stamp, i did need a certificate of residence from Jomtien Immigration though. Pretty sure that will be easy enough to get for your son. I already had a motorbike licence from the UK, so i did not need to do the Motorbike test or watch the video.

Should be doable for your son.

Cheers

There is no need to make an appointment however he will need the normal Residence letter from Immigration and without a visa I don't see how he can get one.

Do you think it is really a good idea to let him drive here if he has only ever ridden dirt bikes in the US? You could be signing his deat warrant you know? Better to just take him along with you or rent a car for awhile if it is a matter of to many people for 1 bike (wife etc.).

I've been riding here for 13 years and still it's never a breeze to ride anywhere in Thailand.

I would highly recommend with the info you have given us that if you want to keep your son, you should NOT let hime ride a bike. Even crossing the roads here are not easy on foot.

Thanks for your concern, but I arrived here without any bike experience and have had a motorcycle for 10 months of daily rides with no problem. I am pretty sure that my 37 year old son, who has years of practice on dirt bikes, will be fully capable of riding a bike here. I should have said he isn't 16 years old.

Also, I can have him added to my lease which would satisfy the residence requirement. I still think it is safer to ride a bike here rather than walk along Soi Bukhaow.

Edited by stoli

I recently got my Thai motorbike licence with a Visa on Arrival stamp, i did need a certificate of residence from Jomtien Immigration though. Pretty sure that will be easy enough to get for your son. I already had a motorbike licence from the UK, so i did not need to do the Motorbike test or watch the video.

Should be doable for your son.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Thanks for posting that info. I will check into making an appointment if that is all that was needed. I was afraid that they would not provide a license without a Visa. Still wondering if they will on just a 30 day stay.

You shouldn't have any problems with your son being on a visa exempt entry. He can use your address for the residency letter. Do a search on the forum as to what's required. The LTO here has so far not required a visa for the one year temporary license.

I am sure glad that we have this forum available to post questions such as this. I think maybe my mind got in the way thinking there would be a problem getting a license without a visa, but apparently not. Again, thanks to everyone for their responses. I am now satisfied that there won't be a problem.

You shouldn't have any problems with your son being on a visa exempt entry. He can use your address for the residency letter. Do a search on the forum as to what's required. The LTO here has so far not required a visa for the one year temporary license.

Edited by stoli

Ok well a 37 year old sone does make a big difference to my concern. Well always concerned for newbie riders here but just a little easier thinking of a 37 yr old rather that a 16 yr old.

Hope you guys have fun and a good ride always is out to the Golden Buddha and Sylvan-vale Vineyards.

Ok well a 37 year old sone does make a big difference to my concern. Well always concerned for newbie riders here but just a little easier thinking of a 37 yr old rather that a 16 yr old.

Hope you guys have fun and a good ride always is out to the Golden Buddha and Sylvan-vale Vineyards.

Thanks. We will have fun. The Golden Buddha and the winery are on the list.

Ouch, Sylvan vale vineyards, that's a pretty decent ride! Far as I know they are somewhere in South Africa :)

Joking aside, yes, a ride to the silverlake vineyards is indeed quite nice!

• Like 1

Ouch, Sylvan vale vineyards, that's a pretty decent ride! Far as I know they are somewhere in South Africa smile.png

Joking aside, yes, a ride to the silverlake vineyards is indeed quite nice!

That's okay. I knew you meant Silver Lake Winery, which has some very nice Syrah's, and a great Chenin Blanc.

There is no need to make an appointment

As he doesn't have a licence from his home country to "exchange"

He will have to do the full test...from my recent experience that will involve having an apointment...to get that apointment you have to submit all paper work at the DLT so stoli won't be able to get the apointment in advance as far as I know.

It is worth getting a licence not just to keep the BIB at bay you can also use it as a discount card for various double pricing venues.