Want the truth about Thailand? Look abroad

webfact

The unit, based in Narathiwat province, stated on its website that it

has posted 1.69 million messages in the four-month period between June

and September last year.

I'm sorry?? There is an army unit whose job is to post thousands of messages daily in praise of HM King?

At first I thought that this story was from 'Not The Nation'

Although I'm treading on delicate ground with my comments, it should be noted that HM King has personally stated that He is not above criticism. Clearly, the vast majority of Thais (and many foreigners, including myself), love HM King.

A democracy allows others to dissent.

Anyway, this is a difficult subject to discuss, but I think it is ludicrous to employ army personal to post pro-monarchy messages all day.

Simon

Much better they just mock "bum" each other instead I'd saycheesy.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is such a thing as constructive criticism, something I have heard from some of my Thai friends on sensitive subjects. Even His Majesty has said he should not be above it.

If the Monarchy accepts criticism, should we ask why the Monarchy do not swiftly pardon Lese Majeste convicts who have simply voiced non-defamatory critical opinion or even just re-spoken/quoted, paraphrased or translated others' statements so that they do not have to suffer a single day in prison?

I'd wish I could give an honest opinion of that on TV but I think this topic would have a very short life if it were discussed.

As long as we don't defame the King, Queen, Heir-apparent, or Regent, then it should be OK to discuss shouldn't it? If it's not OK, then therein lies the problem.

Criticism does not necessarily equate to defamation, but it seems that there is fear that others can't see (or won't acknowledge) the difference. That is a serious problem.

• Like 1

Pasting these messages where?
One would assume newsgroups, forums etc where news and the monarchy is discussed as well as Facebook and Youtube.

Truth be told I did a similar thing years ago working in digital cartography. Performance pay was partly related to the number of 'data edits' we did. A few of us soon cottoned at doing an edit that was quick but basically worthless that still counted towards performance.

My guess is that these guys are doing alot of the same. Making worthless, quick comments on a website so that at the end of the day they can say 'look sarge I did 3465 today!'

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hmmm, has a familiar ring to it, doesn't it ;-?

There is such a thing as constructive criticism, something I have heard from some of my Thai friends on sensitive subjects. Even His Majesty has said he should not be above it.

If the Monarchy accepts criticism, should we ask why the Monarchy do not swiftly pardon Lese Majeste convicts who have simply voiced non-defamatory critical opinion or even just re-spoken/quoted, paraphrased or translated others' statements so that they do not have to suffer a single day in prison?

I'd wish I could give an honest opinion of that on TV but I think this topic would have a very short life if it were discussed.

It has been stated many times within Thailand that the laws on LM are being used to political ends and there have been comments made internationally about their application. The constitution of Thailand is similar to many other democratic monarchies. Look at the UK's opening of parliament when future policies are laid out. HM The Queen reads a speech written entirely by the politicans. Monarchs do not in general have any political power - they are above that and their endeavour is to give moral and spiritual guidance to ALL the people - of all political persuasions.

Pasting these messages where?
One would assume newsgroups, forums etc where news and the monarchy is discussed as well as Facebook and Youtube.

Truth be told I did a similar thing years ago working in digital cartography. Performance pay was partly related to the number of 'data edits' we did. A few of us soon cottoned at doing an edit that was quick but basically worthless that still counted towards performance.

My guess is that these guys are doing alot of the same. Making worthless, quick comments on a website so that at the end of the day they can say 'look sarge I did 3465 today!'

Hmmm, has a familiar ring to it, doesn't it ;-?

no

Well done, Simon43, I doubt there will be many replies to this topic for the obvious reason, but it is a classic example of an internal reluctance to rock the establishment boat even when with the increased used of the internet and social media the 'sheeple' can gain more from overseas that they ever could at home. As for a 'cyber unit' sending out 13,00+ messages a day on ANY subject - words fail me!

Very scary! Imagine that there are more of these 'cyber units'.... Just think about the 'social' power that could (and would) represent....

Truly scary, for any country....

Edited by JulesMad