Salt - Good Quality ?

Malthus101

Hi

Where can I buy salt that isn't the usual Thai table crap.

Sea-salt would be nice, doesn't have to be Maldon quality but just something higher quality than that sodium hell they sell everywhere!

Thanks.

I looked in the big Tesco at On Nut and the Big C but could only see the usual stuff.

Any suggestions?

Hi Malthus101...you can buy unrefined sea salt, finely ground or in "rock" form, with or without added iodine, for under 90 baht, at any of the Foodland or Villa Market locations in Bangkok.

I hope that helps!

CHEERS!

D

Excellent! Problem solved... Thanks!

Hi Malthus101...you can buy unrefined sea salt, finely ground or in "rock" form, with or without added iodine, for under 90 baht, at any of the Foodland or Villa Market locations in Bangkok.

I hope that helps!

CHEERS!

D

Great reply.

Hey ... do go for that added Iodine belief?

It's been promoted, though I'm not convinced.

According to a Television Program I watched yesterday on British Television,Sea Salt is being heavily promoted as being good for health due to natural minerals,but the reality is: it's a con the minerals are in such small quantities as to be irrelevant. So don't believe all the outlandish claims.

While we are on the subject Salt in too heavy doses such as the Thais use it in Fish Sauce 27% ,is most definately very bad for health,and that's the tip of the iceberg!

Hospitals normally put patients who have had a heart attack on a Salt free diet,which must say something!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6570933.stm

Excessive Sugar content,is seemingly another death wish product!

Edited by MAJIC

According to a Television Program I watched yesterday on British Television,Sea Salt is being heavily promoted as being good for health due to natural minerals,but the reality is: it's a con the minerals are in such small quantities as to be irrelevant. So don't believe all the outlandish claims.

While we are on the subject Salt in too heavy doses such as the Thais use it in Fish Sauce 27% ,is most definately very bad for health,and that's the tip of the iceberg!

Hospitals normally put patients who have had a heart attack on a Salt free diet,which must say something!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6570933.stm

Excessive Sugar content,is seemingly another death wish product!

Amazing. This same thread was up last week. How can someone not find salt! I will repeat what I said last week, ALL salt is sea salt. Nowhere in the world have they ever found salt where there wasn't first an ocean. Why do people find this hard to understand?
  • Like 1

When people say sea salt they mean salt that has been directly harvested from the sea, as in now!

Rock salt is the other option, aka, common table salt.

Sea salt is usually less "salty" and if good quality stuff like Maldon, has no separating agents in it to keep the granuals from clumping together. In fact, it is still in it's large crystal formation and needs to be crumbled onto food.

It's just more pleasant.

http://www.maldonsalt.co.uk/

Sod it - went to Foodland, couldn't find the sea salt. Well, I did find a large bag of seasalt but it was in very large crystal formation so would need to be ground with a pestle and mortar, can't be bothered with all that.

So I spent 8 baht and got some plain old iodized table salt!

I eat enough of it every day in my takeaway Thai food, who am I kidding?

At least we have some good tips here should anyone else be looking for salt.