from newer laptop to older tv, rca plugs

infinity11

if you notebook has either VGA or HDMI out go and buy an adapter to RCA for it they range in cost from THB 1,200 - 7,000 (and for that price buy a cheap flat screen 32" 3,500 at Big C)

• Like 1

Who the hell would want to watch decent resolution stuff on a CRT nowadays? Christ, I thought I was living in the past but as you can pick up a fairly decent 42" Samsung or LG for around 15,000 baht.

I'm a skinflint but even I made the leap from CRT to LCD and never regretted what I had done. Even a cheap arse 2.1 or 5.1 sound system will make you realise how much more you can enjoy films or TV series.

1,200 - 1,700 for a set of leads! Pay that now and then see someone's cheap LCD set up and you'll realise that was a waste of money in the long run.

i ordered an adaptor off of ebay and it worked pretty good.

Details? price? please

What is it called?

Convertor? Adapter?

thanks

It was $14 and I purchased it while i was in the US.

It takes the VGA output from your computer/laptop and converts it to RCA or S-Video output that plugs into your TV.

I cant remember if it also has an output for the sound though, it may have to go through the computer speakers, but thats automatic, no hassles.

It is selectable between PAL and NTSC systems, and it is powered by your computers USB port.

This is the one I purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PC-VGA-AV-TV-RCA-S-Video-Converter-Box-Adapter-Dark-Blue-/190667579088?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c64ac5ed0#shId

But it ships out of the US.

The one below appears to be the same and ships out of China for free:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AV-S-Video-To-VGA-TV-CCTV-BNC-RCA-S-Video-AV-to-VGA-Converter-Adapter-Converter-/221243540908?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item33832485ac

They all come from China anyway, so might as well order the Chinese one, plus shipping is free.

Come to to think of it I may order another one, since I live in a condo with CRT tv.

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

i ordered an adaptor off of ebay and it worked pretty good.

Details? price? please

What is it called?

Convertor? Adapter?

thanks

It was $14 and I purchased it while i was in the US.

It takes the VGA output from your computer/laptop and converts it to RCA or S-Video output that plugs into your TV.

I cant remember if it also has an output for the sound though, it may have to go through the computer speakers, but thats automatic, no hassles.

It is selectable between PAL and NTSC systems, and it is powered by your computers USB port.

This is the one I purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PC-VGA-AV-TV-RCA-S-Video-Converter-Box-Adapter-Dark-Blue-/190667579088?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c64ac5ed0#shId

But it ships out of the US.

The one below appears to be the same and ships out of China for free:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AV-S-Video-To-VGA-TV-CCTV-BNC-RCA-S-Video-AV-to-VGA-Converter-Adapter-Converter-/221243540908?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item33832485ac

They all come from China anyway, so might as well order the Chinese one, plus shipping is free.

Come to to think of it I may order another one, since I live in a condo with CRT tv.

Excellent, 14 bucks is dirt cheap! thanks so very much

I'd love to pick one up verses post/mail, (where in pattaya? if anyone happens to know!!!)

Though actually i would like to have the sound run through the tv as well, this is better than nothing.

Edited by infinity11

Just get some computer speakers and plug them in, the sound will be better than most TV's. If it is a reasonably good speaker set, they sell relatively good speaker systems for around 1000-1500 baht with subwoofer. Non subwoofer speakers can be had for around 500 baht, test the sound before buying.

or just get an adaptor that converts the headphone cable from the computer to an rca jack, then plug into TV...they are like 20 baht at any thai electronics shop. (farang price may be 50 baht)

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

Who the hell would want to watch decent resolution stuff on a CRT nowadays? Christ, I thought I was living in the past but as you can pick up a fairly decent 42" Samsung or LG for around 15,000 baht.

I'm a skinflint but even I made the leap from CRT to LCD and never regretted what I had done. Even a cheap arse 2.1 or 5.1 sound system will make you realise how much more you can enjoy films or TV series.

1,200 - 1,700 for a set of leads! Pay that now and then see someone's cheap LCD set up and you'll realise that was a waste of money in the long run.

could not agree more. you buy the right tv, you might even get the 5.1 system thrown in.

• 2 weeks later...

here is a low tech temporary workaround

i know there are better ways

but this works and not bad

download video from youtube or other site

(there are tools to help)

convert to avi (another tool)

copy to thumb drive and watch on dvd player

not bad quality at all!!!

a bit too much work me thinks but ok for now

i think some newer dvd player with thumb drive capacity should be able to play more than just mpg and avi files

i am stuck with these two for now

Edited by infinity11

i think some newer dvd player with thumb drive capacity should be able to play more than just mpg and avi files

As you don't seem to have one of those converters yet, they stock them in TukCom, costs I think 850 Baht.

Goes from VGA to RCA/S-video.

Small shop around the escalators, on the floor where Power Buy is. Sells lots of keyboards, headsets and a bunch of adapters/converters...

• Like 1

As you don't seem to have one of those converters yet, they stock them in TukCom, costs I think 850 Baht.

Goes from VGA to RCA/S-video.

Small shop around the escalators, on the floor where Power Buy is. Sells lots of keyboards, headsets and a bunch of adapters/converters...

I think that is exactly what i am looking for.

Tuk com pattaya? or?

Has audio AND video?

thanks

Yep, Pattaya.

Only video.

For Audio you just need a 3.5mm stereo jack (headphone jack) to left/right rca lead (the red and white connectors going into the back of the TV.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app