Tefl In Bkk?

To KenKannif

From Jaime

I'm thinking of going to live in Thailand.

1. I don't know the language

2. The jobs that you can get require you have TEFL.

3. At this moment I'm in Texas.

Also, it'always hot in Bangkok, the bus system is hectic and the pollution made me sick.

On the good side, thai women are attractive, food is delicious and I like riding the local boat from pier 13 down river.

^ Agree 110%.....an utter, utter waste of time and money. You don't teach English via the internet so how they can expect you to learn to teach through the internet is beyond me. Actually goes against most of the principles you learn on a proper/real TEFL course.

To be of international standard you need at least 100 hours class time (i.e. the time you're in class) and at least 6 plus hours of observed teaching practice.....something which an online course cannot offer I'm afraid. They should actually be called 'introductory' or 'prepatory' TEFL courses over a 'proper' TEFL course as the more discerning schools and countries wouldn't touch them with a bargepole....even AUA a so so school here won't accept courses without the above in them.

JB,

1. Not knowing the language is not really a problem at all in regards to teaching. Although being able to speak Thai would be an advantage (not so much in the classroom, but certainly in looking for and finding work), not being able to is no real disadvantage (if you get what I mean?).

2. Often yes that is the case.

3. Okay I understand.

Contact some of the better ones and see what they say. Alternatively come on over and spend time in each and pick the one that's best for you.

Any idea as to who, what and where you wish to teach???

Your age?

Background?

Experiences?

Edited by kenkannif

Howdy, jb. At this time, four of my kids are in Texas. :o

If you just can't stand Bangkok (where maybe half of the half-decent jobs for newcomers are), you can take a four to six week TEFL course elsewhere. I took mine at Chiang Mai, which is much less hectic than BKK but it's still a major city; I graduated from the Text&Talk course. You can also study at Koh Samui and Phuket, which are islands with great beaches. There's even a course here in Hua Hin; I live at the beach.

Also, to reply more about your point 4., you can teach Thais that the second person plural is "y'all." :D:D

As far as I'm aware, ECC in Siam Square is the only place that offers the official Cambridge CELTA course. That is the only qualification you can get here which is 'internationally recognised'.

I'm not saying that other courses are inferior as such, but the ECC one is official, with the certificate being issued by UCLES (The University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate) in the UK. Some of the other certificates you can get here may be okay for teaching in Thailand, but only good as toilet paper elsewhere.

The ECC website is here.

As far as I'm aware, ECC in Siam Square is the only place that offers the official Cambridge CELTA course. That is the only qualification you can get here which is 'internationally recognised'.

I'm not saying that other courses are inferior as such, but the ECC one is official, with the certificate being issued by UCLES (The University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate) in the UK. Some of the other certificates you can get here may be okay for teaching in Thailand, but only good as toilet paper elsewhere.

The ECC website is here.

Well International House also offer it in Bangkok now as do Elite (who've been doing so for the last few years).

It's pretty much the same as most TEFL courses when you really look at it to be honest, and if anything with it's lack of specificness and lack of teaching kids.....not quite the be all or end all as some people may imply.

Most certs will be accepted worldwide if they have the 100 hours plus class time and the 6 hours plus OTP.

One of our sponsors offers the course online. Feedback so far is quite positive.

cv

The best things about Thailand based TEFL certs is they give you valuable experience of a Thai classroom.... Internet courses obviously can't do this. Avoid internet courses like the plague

I'm either going to TEFL Intl in Ban Phe or T & T in BKK somewhere around Feb/March 2007. I still haven't decided yet but I'm going to pick and apply before I arrive ... against the advice of many TEFLers. Based on all the advice I've been given over the past 2 + years it comes down to which location I'd rather spend 4-6 weeks in. Cheers.

I took one of the online TEFL classes and I have to agree that it was, at best, only an introduction to TEFL. That was OK for me, as I already had a decent job and teaching experience, and was only taking it to get my Teaching License and Work Permit, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who was looking for any real training.

If you're going to teach in Thailand, taking a TEFL course here would probably be the best option, as they will pay some attention to the specific issues and conditions that you will encounter here.

I am at the stage where I am looking to pick my TEFL,

Initially I intended to do a internet style course as I have limited spare time in my country. However I need an intensive course to prepare me so I want to do one when I arrive in Thailand.

The Big question is do I splash out and do a CELTA course, although I dont intend to teach to adults the qualification looks good on paper. Or do I take a regular TEFL course with someone like TEXT and TALK?

Let the arguements begin!

(For further information: I am not a degree holder, so there is a large chance I may be teaching in other parts of Asia where I work without visa runs)

Where in Chiang Mai did you take your course PeaceBlonde? How much was it and what were the classroom hours? Is it possable to get 3 month teaching contracts?

Howdy, jb. At this time, four of my kids are in Texas. :o

If you just can't stand Bangkok (where maybe half of the half-decent jobs for newcomers are), you can take a four to six week TEFL course elsewhere. I took mine at Chiang Mai, which is much less hectic than BKK but it's still a major city; I graduated from the Text&Talk course. You can also study at Koh Samui and Phuket, which are islands with great beaches. There's even a course here in Hua Hin; I live at the beach.

Also, to reply more about your point 4., you can teach Thais that the second person plural is "y'all." :D:D

Do not take the TESOL course at AUA Rachadamri.

Looks good .... but very poor course for a new or inexperienced teacher

The designers are enamored with themselves rather than concerned with prepping you for your career.

Text and Talk is much better IMO.

CELTA is the best if you can hack it ... tough course but top of the line certification.

JMHO

I took my TEFL course in Chiang Mai at Text&Talk. It was three years ago, so the price may have increased slightly. I think each day's attendance varied between six to nine hours, not including breaks.

Three month contracts? Not at 'schools' but probably at language centers.

Hi all,

I have a BS From State University of New York and now am looking at possibly teaching in Thailand. I came across this website that offers on campus 80 hr TESOL/TESL Teacher Training Certification Course from Oxford Seminars. Was wondering if any of you have heard of this and is it worth while? Got a "B" type visa with two journeys and will come to Pattaya in July. So want to be well armed with every possible advantage for possibly teaching. Otherwise will check to see the local PADI dive shops and see if they need an old beat up Dive Instructor as my fall back.

Regards,

Dick Cooper

///The link to a URL of a commercial website was deleted.////PeaceBlondie