AIS 3G 2100 in Pattaya=bad joke?

mike111

Mates,

I've enabled an AIS 3G package on my phone (with the newer 2100 network).

Reception if flaky at best, and often the 3G connection doesnt work, namely, no data is being transferred.

To have a working internet connection I've now actually ticked "use 2G networks only" on my android phone, as otherwise Im getting no internet.

Am I missing something, or is the AIS 3G 2100 network simply a bad joke?

Is DTAC any better?

I tried a True move sim but my phone didnt pickup their 3G (incompatible band?)

TIA

Edited by mike111

Are you looking for help re: AIS? Or just venting? If the former please share as much detail as possible.

AIS/2100 is showing current coverage in the Pattaya area.

TrueMove H and/or DTAC/Happy should be fine assuming your phone support 850 MHz 3G.

Edited by lomatopo

It is worse than a bad joke, infact I have good mind to call AIS and have my subscription reverted back to 2G only.

+1 I have umpteen messages from AIS over the past 2 months, "your problem is under investigation ".laugh.png

In the past 12 days my smart phone shows a total data usage of 21 Mb. Even not able to download a 511Kb update from playstore.

• Like 1

OK, so AIS seems like a bad choice.

should I switch to DTAC? is their coverage better? their website shows their "trinet" covers the 850/900/2100 3G bands, so should b ok.

Edited by mike111

They spent so much money on lawyers and accountants to even be able to offer 3G, none of the carriers have any money left over to upgrade their networks. Sounds like it is going to be a long slow haul until we get decent coverage from any carrier here in Thailand

• Like 1

Doesnt matter how much they spend to upgrade their networks until TOT/Cat starts putting more fiber in the ground. Any telecoms system is dependent on the backbone of the infrastructure, that being the main trunk lines. A recent thread about 4g by true which I got called a troll on is just another example of being sold something that doesnt exist except in sales numbers, this is why I still use a 690 baht samsung phone, the big 3 who depend on cat/tot for their bandwidth have no way to provide me with service to convince me to buy a smart phone any time soon.

I have upgraded to 2100 3G AIS (Korat).

My phone now says "roaming" and never 3G :-(

Was at Shenanigans Jomtien watching the State of Origin.

I was communicating with friend back in OZ via chat on........... went dead and looked at phone.... I was "roaming".

OK, so AIS seems like a bad choice.

should I switch to DTAC? is their coverage better? their website shows their "trinet" covers the 850/900/2100 3G bands, so should b ok.

Dtac is way better. My Dtac 3G connection has been completely down ONLY 3 times in the past 2 hours, and to load a page at this moment takes about 2 minutes.

Edited by jbrain

Doesnt matter how much they spend to upgrade their networks until TOT/Cat starts putting more fiber in the ground. Any telecoms system is dependent on the backbone of the infrastructure, that being the main trunk lines. A recent thread about 4g by true which I got called a troll on is just another example of being sold something that doesnt exist except in sales numbers, this is why I still use a 690 baht samsung phone, the big 3 who depend on cat/tot for their bandwidth have no way to provide me with service to convince me to buy a smart phone any time soon.

I doubt that anyone using a 690 baht Samsung phone is in any position to comment on 4G or even 3G. Not really Cutting edge smile.png (TV needs to update rules on TV tech forum participation, as a min, need a real phone)

yep, comment still stands because your posts are akin to saying "Thai Airways did not buy real A380's, they are fakes made in Nepal". Anyone can say what they want, the point is are there supporting facts.

In terms of 3G, True Corp is still clearly in the lead, DTAC a distant 2nd, and AIS a very distant 3rd still. I was in Rayong & Pattaya yesterday, for most of the trip from Bangkok, had either AIS 2G , some times 900mhz 3G, and rarely 2100 mhz 3G (i am locked on to 520-03.). I have True as well, and it was 3G everywhere, except a few points i.e. just leaving Rayong.

Edited by skippybangkok

I am surprised to read that AIS 3G is crappy in Pattaya.

I upgraded to the 2100 a few weeks ago and wasn't really impressed until I went to Pattaya (area between Jomtien and Pattaya). I did a speed test and was amazed at the results. I was getting from 7000 kbps to 9000 kbps.I returned to Bangkok and went back to 3000 kbps.

I am seriously thinking of changing to True or DTAC because of the better coverage. Also my bill jumped last time from around the usual 1300 baht a month to 3500 baht. I complained to AIS and was told that because 3G was faster I was downloading more. I haven't changed my Internet habits and basically use Internet for checking emails and reading Thai Visa of course.

I subscribed to a 3g package just now with DTAC in Pattaya but my modem only connects with EDGE which is horrible. I used AIS last year here with 3g and it worked well. What gives? I would hate to have just wasted 400baht.

In working with several new and existing AIS and One-2-Call customers I think many issues have to do with AIS/AWN's provisioning, use of older SIMs which need to be replaced and phone's which are mis-configured.

While not specific to Pattaya I did set up a new AIS/2100 MHz 3G (pre-paid): http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649816-a-i-s-one-2-call-3g-pre-paid-sim-on-2100-mhz-3g-a-review/

This particular person has been between Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Rayong and Chon Buri over the past ~ 5 days and has reported very positive mobile data and voice experiences. They have an SGS4.

Other colleagues are just in the metro-Bangkok area.

I got this speed-test yesterday in Bangkok, using my GNEX4. Much faster than my TrueMove H service, and a bit quicker than my DTAC service.

post-9615-0-06382400-1372813589_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I subscribed to a 3g package just now with DTAC in Pattaya but my modem only connects with EDGE which is horrible. I used AIS last year here with 3g and it worked well. What gives?

What is the exact make and model of your "modem"?

My best guess is that this is a USB Aircard, and it supports 900/2100 MHz 3G only. Since DTAC/Happy (currently) operate 3G on 850 MHz you would only be able to get GSM data (2G:Gprs/EDGE). But this is just a guess as you've provided no details.