Tourist Family Safely Returned To Thailand After Harrowing Night On Soi 3

Boater

NANA – An American family of visiting tourists has been safely brought back to Thai soil after being lost for four hours in the lower Sukhumvit area, police reported yesterday.

The Waldens, comprising James, 43, his wife Meredith, 41, and their children Didi, 13, and Zachary, 9, were reported in healthy condition at Bumrungrad Hospital after an examination following their escape from the international territory known colloquially as “soi Arab.”

“It was the most frightening experience of our lives,” said a visibly shaken James. “One minute we’re in Thailand, enjoying our vacation, and then suddenly we’re in some other country full of Middle Eastern people, West Africans, and Indians. It was like something out of a bad science fiction movie.”

According to police, the Waldens accidental departure from Thailand began when they left their hotel, the Landmark, at 8pm to look for what they had been told was a good place for wood-fired pizza. Mistaking soi Loet Sin 2 for what they thought was soi 11, the family walked deep into a dark neighborhood of construction sites.

“Jim insisted we were on the right street but I knew something was wrong right away when we turned the corner and saw all those Indian restaurants,” said Meredith. “It just felt wrong.”

The family then wandered down soi 5 and attempted to enter Gullivers Pub, only to be pushed out by a brawl that was erupting between a drunken pack of British football fans and a hostile group of Israeli backpackers.

“I didn’t see any Thai people, anywhere,” noted Didi.

The Waldens then fled into the Nailert Foodland Plaza, where they became disoriented trying to find their way out again. Exiting a fire escape onto an alleyway, they then worked their way deeper into the warren of sub-sois that led to soi 3/1.

“Everyone around us was African,” said James. “We might as well have been in Africa. And I’ve never seen so many sandal shops in my life.”

continues here - http://notthenation.com/2013/06/tourist-family-safely-returned-to-thailand-after-harrowing-night-on-soi-3/

Edited by Boater

I found myself there once and sat down and was offered a sample on the hooka pipe .... I thought it was pretty cool because it felt like a free vacation to the middle east , I will admit at first I was a little paranoid because I was the only white dude around a pile of what looked like Muslim folks right after the 911 thing , but I just decided to stay and enjoy it and it worked out pretty well. Actually I was treated much better than I thought I might be, and felt embarrassed for myself for assuming otherwise.

• Like 2

Remember that Notthenation is a satyrical website so, don't start with fierce anti-racist or racist speech

Hmm, so I got out the popcorn and the drinks, and was all set up for a bit of fun, and then angiud came along....

tongue.png

Edited by Carib
  • Like 2

Love getting the fresh-baked flatbread they make in those open-flame ovens, a few kinds of dips some kebabs or middle-eastern curry yum.

Used to be a nice baklava shop in there, seems to have closed down.

Never encountered even a smidgen of hostility, in general very polite well-mannered area, maybe the fact there's little drinking going on?

• Like 2

Remember that Notthenation is a satyrical website so, don't start with fierce anti-racist or racist speech

So funny that there are people out there who take these reports seriously biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Not the first such thread in a Thai forum where this happens.

Edited by KhunBENQ

So funny that there are people out there who take these reports seriously biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Not the first such thread in a Thai forum where this happens.

even funnier when people take forum replies seriously rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I'm smelling a reincarnation of the National Lampoon Vacation franchise. The Griswolds in Bangkok.

Great idea!

"National Lampoon's Thai Vacation", not quite Hangover style

To be complete has to include a Pattaya segment.

I'm thinking the original parents along as grandpa and grandma, long-time divorced bickering but still have feelings.

The son and daughter come along with their spouses and children of varying ages, some old enough to get into trouble.

Yes include partying with the Nigerians, have to get a kateuy orgy in there - just implied of course.

And the family compositions are completely different by the time they head home, some members lost to live in Thailand forever, some Thais, maybe a token Nigerian and of course to be politically correct someone has to get SRS, but at least one clever stunner girl, brought back to work in America, probably Vegas.

Walk-on cameos for theblether as Stickman, eesat can play a screechy kateuy mamasan, lots of potential there. . .

• Like 1

I'm smelling a reincarnation of the National Lampoon Vacation franchise. The Griswolds in Bangkok.

Great idea!

"National Lampoon's Thai Vacation", not quite Hangover style

To be complete has to include a Pattaya segment.

I'm thinking the original parents along as grandpa and grandma, long-time divorced bickering but still have feelings.

The son and daughter come along with their spouses and children of varying ages, some old enough to get into trouble.

Yes include partying with the Nigerians, have to get a kateuy orgy in there - just implied of course.

And the family compositions are completely different by the time they head home, some members lost to live in Thailand forever, some Thais, maybe a token Nigerian and of course to be politically correct someone has to get SRS, but at least one clever stunner girl, brought back to work in America, probably Vegas.

Walk-on cameos for theblether as Stickman, eesat can play a screechy kateuy mamasan, lots of potential there. . .

You've nailed the part for Eesat, perfect for her. laugh.png