Flights to the U.K.

Jaochoo

I haven’t travelled outside of Thailand in over six years and as a result I am a bit out of touch regarding international airfares and the best places to seek discounted rates or special offers.

I need to visit the U.K. in early August and will return to Thailand in early September. Just did a quick online search and return economy flights from Bangkok to London Heathrow are around £1,000.00 – this is for a direct flight which I prefer.

I appreciate that there have probably been numerous price increases since I last travelled from the U.K. to Thailand in 2006 but, having previously paid £420.00 for a return direct flight in low season (June) and £640.00 in high season (Dec), the recent quote of £1,000.00 mentioned above does appear to be expensive.

Perhaps some of the more seasoned travellers on Thai Visa would be kind enough to confirm if the price I have been quoted is the current going rate. Any personal recommendations for websites offering international flights at discounted rates would also be much appreciated.

One final question for the more experienced travellers: is it cheaper to book and pay for this type of flight in Thailand or the U.K.?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Hi, only last week, BA's official site offered the direct flight BKK direct to London Heathrow for £750. That's using the site from Thailand. I couldn't book it because you have to pay using a credit card but you might still find it on there.

Even checking discount sites in Thai - there are not any discounts on the good airlines that can offer the same kind of deals that we get offered from the UK. I have no idea why on average it costs 25% more to travel BKK-London-BKK compared to the opposite route. Maybe travel agents are more competitive in the UK and can pass on great deals.

I just booked Emirates for £850 but with a two hour stop in Dubai. It was a steal compared to Thai Airways, Malaysia Air, Eva Air and Quantas who are currently priced at £1000.

India Air, Jet Air, Vietnam and Sri Lanka are priced nearer £650 but with multiple and longer stops. The Indian operators offer promo rates throughout the year... but they get bought up seriously quick - i wonder if they are just being sold in bulk to tour agencies then passed to flyers at the inflated rate.

I personally feel that it's more a task of continuously clearing your cache and checking each day until one of the airlines drop in a discounted fare. If you find a return flight with a 4* or 5* operator near to £750 with short legs, then i recommend that you snap it up. I've not seen any deals close to £550 from Thailand like they still offer from the UK.

Good luck.

Fefe

Edited by Poo Ying FeFe

You only have a choice of three airlines non-stop from BKK to LHR. Eva, British Airways and Thai.

Eva is always my preferred for non-stop.

Eva is just under THB40,000 for your dates, BA is TH37,470 and Thai is just over THB47,000 according to each of their sites as at today.

If you are feeling adventurous you could use Jet Airways via India for under THB30,000.

There are plenty of other airlines which have one stop to choose from.

There is no advantage paying via a UK site you will still be charged the same fare as you are originating in Thailand.

Flights to the UK have hardly increased in 10 years, stopover can be had for just under 30k and direct for 35k, although you are travelling high season...Did you really get a direct flight for just 20k 6 years ago that's 420 Sterling now...probably not, you are working on a different XE. so 47,000 baht for a direct flight in high season/school holidays is OK

Many thanks for the replies.

Pleased to have the current flight prices confirmed but still shocked by how much they have increased since I last travelled.

Interesting to note that return flights from Bangkok - London - Bangkok are more expensive than London - Bangkok - London. Something I wasn't aware of until reading this above and may explain why I have previously paid much lower prices.

'British Airways' appear to be quite competitive and I will have to make further enquires. I seem to recall that one of the reasons I have not used them in the past is due to cramped seating/limited legroom - at just over 6' tall this is an important consideration for me on any long flight. Anyway, I will have to check this out as perhaps things have changed and their seating is now on par with EVA and Thai.

Thanks again for all your input.

Amadeus.net

This will give you cheapest price, airline and broker. Then check the airlines website to see if its cheaper dealing direct.

Also try changing your travel dates by a few days and see if that makes the quote any better. Dont book for Saturday or Sunday as this will be expensive.

Edited by colin2

OP remember is school summer holidays over here in UK so you'll get clobbered as always whether coming in or going out.

If you can wait until mid sept to fly in or come in July and fly out before 22nd July as schools break up w/ c that date.

If no option to travel, either fly with stops or pay the money,

Easy decision, there are no secret sites we know of. The prices are all there or there abouts. Give or take and depending if you're lucky and log on at the right time. It's a lottery,

Good luck.

An update for anyone interested and a big thank you to everyone for their input.

Since making my initial enquires with ‘British Airways’ and ‘EVA Air’ they have both increased their prices for direct flights on the dates I require. I can now appreciate some of the earlier advice about booking a good deal as soon as it becomes available!

Thankfully, ‘Thai Airways’ recently introduced some promotional offers on their website and I was able to book two return tickets for a total of 80,710 Baht. This may not be the cheapest direct flight available but, as the specific travel dates are crucial for my visit, it’s quite a relief to have everything booked and confirmed.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

• Like 1

I have just returned from the UK, my flights were dearer than 2012 Olympic year! Emirates ( 2 hours in Dubai ) £753. I opted for Jet at £655, last year it was £600 with Emirates. Jet had a 2 hours stop at Mumbai ( not to enjoyed ) Emirates are far better than Jet in all departments.

I friend of mine found a £545 direct return with Thai, booked direct he flies on 8th July.

If you have a UK card and billing address you can try www.southalltravel.co.uk they will allow you book through them.

Southall use www.amedeus.net and I saw a BA flight direct on there 2 days ago for £537.

Good luck.