Probe into rice claim

webfact

Probe into rice claim
Supannee Bhupisut
Nakarin Srilert
The Nation

30209847-01_big.jpg
Supa

Finance Ministry sets up committee after deputy permanent secretary trashes scheme as fraught with corruption

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Finance yesterday set up a committee to investigate deputy permanent secretary Supa Piyajitti following media reports that she had said the government's rice-pledging scheme was fraught with corruption.

Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong said the investigation panel would look into her allegation pertaining to the scheme that she had made before a Senate committee.

Supa, who oversees the accounting system for the rice subsidy scheme, has stirred dissatisfaction among related state agencies with her claim.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra also asked Supa to provide proof to back up her claim that irregularities happen at every stage of the scheme.

Finance permanent secretary Areepong Phucha-oom signed the order for the setting up of the committee.

Meanwhile, the Senate Committee on Corruption Examination and Good Governance will discuss next week whether to summon Kittiratt to explain about the investigation of Supa, the panel's vice chairman, Senator Paiboon Nititawan, said yesterday. Supa told Krungthep Turakij newspaper that she, Kittiratt and Areepong are doing their duties and are not concerned about being the target of an investigation. She informed the Senate committee that the rice-pledging scheme is susceptible to corruption at several stages as up to 10 state agencies, mostly related to the agriculture and commerce ministries, are involved.

Supa told the Senate committee that each phase of the rice-pledging scheme process is susceptible to fraud, such as the inflated number of registered farmers, 3 million tonnes of incorrect rice stocks reported and the loss figure of Bt220 billion. Supa based her testimony to the Senate committee on reports from subcommittees reviewing the accounts relating to the rice-pledging scheme. Those reports were submitted to the prime minister in October last year, Supa said.

The commerce minister said he would like the media/press to be careful when presenting the rumours (initiated by opponents of the government) pertaining to substandard rice, contaminated rice being exported by Thailand to Malaysia and Indonesia. Thai rice is still widely accepted overseas despite being about U$100 per tonne more expensive, the commerce minister said.

As for the clearing of 17 million tonnes of rice stocks from the state warehouse, the government will rely (about 70-80 per cent) on government-to-government (G-to-G) deals with Indonesia, the Philippines and Indochina countries, as well as new export markets. Remaining rice stocks not exported under G-to-G will be sold to private entities via bidding.

Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Phuangrach refuted the accusation of Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut that he had threatened Supa Piyajitti, a deputy permanent secretary for finance who oversaw a sub-committee tasked to estimate losses incurred by the scheme, on rice trade information.

He explained that he only intended to stop intrusion into the duties of other departments. Supa's statement about alleged corruption in the project overstepped the boundary of her delegated responsibilities, he said.

Yanyong said the government has not yet accepted the figure submitted by Supa. PM's Office Minister and Deputy Agriculture Minister Varathep Ratanakorn is in charge of drawing the conclusion. The government needs to spend more time to collect information on rice stocks, the sales figure in order to determine the final loss, which will be soon disclosed to the public.

Meanwhile, the National Anti-Corruption Commission is investigating suspicious bank transfers by people suspected to have been involved in irregularities stemming from the rice-pledging scheme, according to NACC member Klanarong Chanthick.

The anti-graft agency would also summon Supa to testify in its investigation into alleged corruption involving the scheme, NACC member Wicha Mahakhun said yesterday. In a related development, Commerce Minister Nivatthamrong Boonsongpaisal will lead a group of Thai rice exporters to hold a road show in Indonesia and Malaysia to boost sales of Thai rice, his deputy Yanyong said yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-06

Government to Government rice deals ? behind closed doors no doubt

Selling to 'new' export markets but no details on hand

Selling to private bidders... .whats that? ... can i bid? Who are these private individuals? Their names are ?

why all the secrecy??

CORRUPTION 100% burn all the files and take the cash and run before the deck of cards falls down

Edited by jalansanitwong
  • Like 1

Notice the papers today. The PTP's only interest is to shoot the messenger ms. Supa. Not a single PTP member has any interest in finding out about the corruption in the rice scam.

Worst of all, notice the deafening silence from the red shirts on this issue.

I do not know who makes me more sick, the PTP or the red shirts? But combined they make me throw up.

As someone said, ms. Supa is Thailand's Snowden, hopefully someone with some power will stand up for her. If not, who else will choose to come forward the next time corruption is found? The fight against corruption starts right here, wake up Thailand!

• Like 1

Notice the papers today. The PTP's only interest is to shoot the messenger ms. Supa. Not a single PTP member has any interest in finding out about the corruption in the rice scam.

Worst of all, notice the deafening silence from the red shirts on this issue.

I do not know who makes me more sick, the PTP or the red shirts? But combined they make me throw up.

As someone said, ms. Supa is Thailand's Snowden, hopefully someone with some power will stand up for her. If not, who else will choose to come forward the next time corruption is found? The fight against corruption starts right here, wake up Thailand!

Let's just hope that her driver doesn't throttle her with a shoestring.

• Like 2

"As for the clearing of 17 million tonnes of rice stocks from the state warehouse, the government will rely (about 70-80 per cent) on government-to-government (G-to-G) deals with Indonesia, the Philippines and Indochina countries, as well as new export markets."

Indochinese countries... errr, Cambodia, Vietnam, Burma and Laos. Apart from maybe Laos, with it's tiny population, which of the others is buying Thai rice?

I can smell buffalo dung?

A govt to govt deal with the Philippines, for them to send a small army of English teachers to Thailand, might be a great idea.

Edited by allan michaud

There is hardly any area of the agro industry in Thailand that is not' tainted' in one maner or another.

Ignorance ,greed and a total indiference to accountability are the key elements in this two faced hypocritical country.

Can I call her "Supa Grass" without implying that she is one of the criminals?

Historically, one of the best way to catch criminals is to get hold of their accountant and unveil the true nature of their business (google the story of O'hare airport's hero for a ripping yarn). The accountant of this criminal conspiracy has decided to blow the whistle, and the rats are scurrying for cover.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

"Supa based her testimony to the Senate committee on reports from subcommittees reviewing the accounts relating to the rice-pledging scheme. Those reports were submitted to the prime minister in October last year, Supa said."

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra asked Supa to provide proof to back up her claim that irregularities happen at every stage of the scheme."

Ahh...correct me if I am wrong in my observation - but if the reports had already been submitted to the prime minister last year, why is the prime minister only now asking Supa to explain them? Why weren't the reports of corruption investigated last year when they were initially submitted?

Oh - I know; it's a Thai thing and as a farang I just don't understand Thai culture. My bad!

• Like 1

He explained that he only intended to stop intrusion into the duties of other departments. Supa's statement about alleged corruption in the project overstepped the boundary of her delegated responsibilities, he said.

Getting too close to home more like it! wink.pngbah.gif

• Like 1

Yes indeed this so called probe in nothing but an attack on the messenger.

For a start she did not say there was corruption she said :

She informed the Senate committee that the rice-pledging scheme is susceptible to corruption at several stages as up to 10 state agencies, mostly related to the agriculture and commerce ministries, are involved.

Supa told the Senate committee that each phase of the rice-pledging scheme process is susceptible

That's right she said it is "SUSCEPTBILE TO CORRUPTION".

Which is true and a far cry from claiming corruption.

The fact that the GOVT has come out so strongly against her can only be taken as an admission of guilt.

If there was no corruption all an honest GOVT would have to say is :

Yes it is susceptible, that is why we have put in place such stringent measures to prevent corruption.

I seem to remember in the other article that she said that she had asked repeatedly for information from the Comm and Ag Deps and they had refused to give it which was why she could not compile an accurate accounting.

• Like 1

Yes indeed this so called probe in nothing but an attack on the messenger.

For a start she did not say there was corruption she said :

She informed the Senate committee that the rice-pledging scheme is susceptible to corruption at several stages as up to 10 state agencies, mostly related to the agriculture and commerce ministries, are involved.

Supa told the Senate committee that each phase of the rice-pledging scheme process is susceptible

That's right she said it is "SUSCEPTBILE TO CORRUPTION".

Which is true and a far cry from claiming corruption.

The fact that the GOVT has come out so strongly against her can only be taken as an admission of guilt.

If there was no corruption all an honest GOVT would have to say is :

Yes it is susceptible, that is why we have put in place such stringent measures to prevent corruption.

I seem to remember in the other article that she said that she had asked repeatedly for information from the Comm and Ag Deps and they had refused to give it which was why she could not compile an accurate accounting.

Honest Govt - clap2.gifcheesy.gif

For PTP this isn't a loss - it's in their pockets. They must damm Moody's for causing all this attention. Anyone like this brave lady are in danger of feeling PTP's wrath. Interesting that the international press don't pick up on all these corruption issues or offshore cabinet meetings with the real PM? Shows their perception of Thailand's importance.

7 card poker, after 5 cards, Supa is holding full house, government holding flush, with potential fill in cards showing in other hands held by, bank of ag.., finance, commerce, etc The lady has the winning hand (she can see it, but keeping raise low enough to suck them in) and the government is running a bluff, as it has worked in the past. Now is the time to go all in and let big brother either back another losing hand or fold.

If history is any indicator, one of the players will lose their temper, fip the table and accuse her of bringing in the marked deck with the Shin logo on it.

One can only hope that Khun Supa's integrity, and bravery in speaking-out as she has, are suitably recognised and rewarded.

I hope she can back it all up with evidence or she is going to be in big trouble.

Agreed, hence the need for support from higher influential-figures, but that proof would surely be the "reports from subcommittees reviewing the accounts from the rice-pledging scheme", which she says in the OP were submitted to the PM last October ?

Perhaps those reports are still in the PM's In-Tray, or have been quietly moved to an inactive-tray, as being too embarrassing to contemplate ? whistling.gif

It's also interesting that the Commerce Minister claims that "Thai rice is still widely accepted overseas, despite being about U$100 per tonne more expensive", one might attempt to use that figure to calculate the government's overall-losses, if they had only recovered $100 per-tonne of the premium they've paid, on all the rice they've brought under the scheme ? And then added-on storage & transport & financing-costs & disappeared-stocks & written-off deteriorated-stocks & pest-control-costs & sales-commissions to friendly-agents ?

No doubt Moody's are doing just that, a back-of-the-envelope calculation admittedly, but better than the mish-mash of conflicting figures emanating from government-sources.

So we'll investigate the 'whistleblower'. that's nice.

May I remember that Minister of the PM Office Varathep told us not yet a month ago that on 352 billion spent, 59 billion sold and 156 left it seemed we'd lost 137 billion, over 2011/2012 only. Now this type of higher economics, figures he got from the Minestry of finance might need a more urgent investigation. Especially as the only reaction was to lower pledging price, saying that would surely help. In the mean time the pledge price has remained unchanged suggesting it would not help, or has an ignorable minor effect.