Vancouver Embassy requires proof od onward travel?

This is a different question than "Do Thai border officials require proof of onward travel?" I am enquiring about getting a tourist visa at Thai Consulates in Canada.

At the closest Thai Consulate (Vancouver) they require a "copy of flight ticket or itinerary". I notice that it doesn't read 'return/onward ticket'. So, my question is why are they asking? Is it so they can provide fast service in case one's flight is very soon? Is it so they can deny visas to some persons and not others bsed on their travel plans? And why do they care as as a Canadian citizen I can get a visa on arrival anyway?

The ONLY reason I am getting a visa is because two or three times I have had hassles in the last eight years but especially in the last two years, getting checked in on my way to leave Canada to Thailand. I solved the problems before by missing my flight and going back into town to buy a new ticket, then another time buying a tciket on the spot and another two times persuading the staff, based on zillions of visa stamps that it was *not* going to be a problem. Recently, I was required to sign a form saying that if they were charged I would pay their fine and my onward transport. But I really don't like spending money unecessarily (cheaper to buy Asia tickets in Bangkok) and especially having to BE PINNED DOWN. It's not like one can buy open tickets anwymore. I hate this planning trips months in advance. I feel like I am being followed by some sort of supra-national spy agency.

Ineveitably this letter of the law interpretation was when a THIRD airline was doing the check-in, not the real airline doing the flight. They follow the rules more strictly it seems. It also happened once in SE Asia (Indonesia to Thailand I think it was). Since Thailand rarely (never for me anyway) enforces this requirement, why do they have it in the first place? I have my own cynical suggestion left for another post.

I also see some oddities in the choices for visas. Transit visa says it's for "connecting flights" but it also reads "not exceeding 30 days". Huh? I wanted to get the cheapest visa CAD35 for a transit visa but I don't know what to make of the schizophrenic wording just to save $5. I go in and out of Thailand multiple times in a year and usually it is less than 30 days so my free on arrivals are good enough. The one year multiple entry was appealing until I saw the price CAD180 and it is "under the discretion of the Consul". Still better than Cambodia where a year visa is what USD250?

By the way, I do not single out Thailand. Nation-states all over the planet are doing the same thing nd have been doing so for what 75 years? Thailand is relatively easy compared to USA or Russia. Government of Singapore gives me only 30 days (by air) and 15 days by land but doesn't care if I come in and out of Malaysia a million times in a row.

BTW, why do different Thai Consulates and Embassies around the world have different policies? It is the same Royal thai Government. Is it a matter of the good, bad or indifferent relations between Thailand and the nation where the Consulate/Embassy is based or something else?

An itinerary would be to show them your travel plans.

Try one of the honorary consulates listed here for visa: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/general-visa-info/where-obtain-visa-in-canada

If you are normally only staying less than 30 days and traveling on a one way ticket the best option would be to buy a cheap one way ticket to any nearby country within those 30 days. You can find ticket so cheap that you could through it away and not loose a lot of money.

Most Consulates have this as it is a normal condition - but few require for those that actually live in that country - and often expend that to include almost all unless they have doubts about financials or reason for travel and then can use it as a gotya.

Most Consulates have this as it is a normal condition - but few require for those that actually live in that country - and often expend that to include almost all unless they have doubts about financials or reason for travel and then can use it as a gotya.

This is as I expect it would be. Thus, it is not an absolute requirement. But it is on their list of 'requirements' Because I put down a rather large sum for funds and can show bank and credit cards, and I am not from some questionable nation, I do not expect to be asked. If I am I can prebook a flight out by going to a closeby net cafe.

I got my triple entry visa from the Vancouver consulate last year, in November, and all that was required in terms of itinerary was my one-way arrival ticket. They did not require any onward ticket information although they did ask me where I would be going after my visa had expired - to which I said Cambodia by bus.

The staff there are very friendly and were also prompt in responding to my to email queries before I actually applied.

OldDude

It's not the Thai consulate that requires an onward ticket, it is the airline.

Thai consulates ARE the same all over the world regarding rules & regulations but some offer more then the norm and some less.

My multiple entry from inside Thailand costs 3,500 baht.

I never had any problems in Vancouver showing onward ticket. I think you might be confused.

It are consulates that make the requirement for onward travel for a tourist visa, not airlines. Airlines know that in that case no proof of onward travel is needed.

Thai Foreign Ministry info:

TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents

• Like 1

Until 2011 my wife and I used to live 6 months Canada, 6 months Thailand. I used to get double entry tourist visas from the Thai embassy in Ottawa. They have never asked for proof of adequate finance. Nor have they ever asked me too show a return or onward air ticket out of Thailand.

Until 2011 my wife and I used to live 6 months Canada, 6 months Thailand. I used to get double entry tourist visas from the Thai embassy in Ottawa. They have never asked for proof of adequate finance. Nor have they ever asked me too show a return or onward air ticket out of Thailand.

Different embassy/consulate, different policy.

Official policy is to ask for tickets, but not all do.

An itinerary would be to show them your travel plans.

Try one of the honorary consulates listed here for visa: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/general-visa-info/where-obtain-visa-in-canada

If you are normally only staying less than 30 days and traveling on a one way ticket the best option would be to buy a cheap one way ticket to any nearby country within those 30 days. You can find ticket so cheap that you could through it away and not loose a lot of money.

You would not need to spend ANY money if you just book a flight on the THAI Airways website to a neighboring country (or any other country) and choose the "pay later at city office" option, provided your flight leaves more than about 1 week after booking. If you choose not to travel, no problem, the system cancels the flight automatically.

Note that some airlines require a deposit for holding your seat, others don't. My experience is that THAI is one of the few that doesn't require any deposit to hold your booking for up to 72 hours, although the system may take longer than this to actually cancel your booking if you choose not to pay for the ticket.

Print out that itinerary (could just be a one way flight from Bangkok to Vientiane) and use that to show either the consulate or the airline officials at check-in. Easy as.

Normally airlines don't really care if your outbound flight is within 30 days or not provided you have some sort of outbound ticket (most tickets can be changed anyway, if need be). Really zealous check-in agents could try to point out if your ticket was for 12 months after your outbound flight and try to get you to prove outbound travel after no more than 30 days, but a simple explanation such as traveling to other countries in the region or that you are going to Europe overland will suffice. Departing from Australia for example, where they are probably about as strict as departing from Canada (although unlike Canada there are plenty of non-stop, direct flights, including those offered by THAI Airways) check-in agents know the rules and are happy to hand you a boarding pass, no questions asked if they can see some sort of onward flight in your itinerary, irrespective of when it may be. Normally the burden of proof is on the traveler, to protect the airline all they need to see is an onward flight and so it's up to you to change the flight the airline won't normally force you to do it in front of their eyes. Even though Thai immigration doesn't question travelers from most visa-exempt countries about onward travel, if they did, they certainly wouldn't refuse entry to someone with a return ticket 12-months ahead of entry to a visa-less traveler, but would just tell him/her to change the return flight.

It are consulates that make the requirement for onward travel for a tourist visa, not airlines. Airlines know that in that case no proof of onward travel is needed.

Thai Foreign Ministry info:

TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents

Don't worry about the "air ticket paid in full" requirement - an itinerary even if it's not paid for yet will suffice. The booking is real just that you haven't paid for it yet.