Two Thai women rescued from Hong Kong brothel

webfact

They honestly believe they are going to Hong Kong to do legit massage, and earn $3000 dollars a month? Like the girls that think they are going to work as waitresses in BKK and they will make 100,000 Baht a month doing it. For Christs sake they know what they are getting into.

There doesn't seem to be any mention in The Nation article if the "brothel" in HK was actually closed or even if anyone was arrested there in connection with the case... We're left to wonder... Also if anything happened with the similar women there from other countries.

FWIW, from a quick check, I can't find any mention of this case in HK-based news outlets... It only appears to be being reported by the Thais.... Kind of makes you wonder.. why?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Trafficking is despicable but it's peculiar how nearly all the Thai prostitutes when nabbed are merely innocents abroad.

The article says they escaped not that they were nabbed as you say. Always has to be someone to blame it on the women.

I hope the brothel owners are imprisoned until they have served 200 other inmates.

So you are excusing the Thai woman who procured the ho's in the first place.

And did the ho's really think that they were gonna get 90k a month for doing legit massages cheesy.gif

I assume you are a Hip-Hop artiste from Harlem. If not, you sound totally ridiculous!

• Like 1

90,000 baht per month as a masseuse. I only pay $60 - 1800 baht - for a legit massage in the US. Hmmmm...

So 90.000 Baht a month would equal to less than 2 customers a day.Hmmmm

A massage place would have to make money for overhead and profit so assume that they'd have to massage 4 people a day to make that $120. Ok I don't know what the cost for massage in Hong Kong so assume they'd have to give 8 people a day an hour massage @ $30 per hour. Still very doable. Pay rates vary from country to country so they very well could have thought it was a massage job only, they escaped after a few days they obviously didn't want to be there.

I knew the posts on this topic would be hilarious cheesy.gif

But seriously, trafficking is human slavery of the worst kind. Plain and simple. Well done by the Pavena Foundation for Children and Women who were available for the call for help.

I hope they catch the 38 year old Thai woman and put her somewhere she belongs.

Trafficking is despicable but it's peculiar how nearly all the Thai prostitutes when nabbed are merely innocents abroad.

The article says they escaped not that they were nabbed as you say. Always has to be someone to blame it on the women.

I did not say THEY were nabbed, smartarse.

I hope the brothel owners are imprisoned until they have served 200 other inmates.

Should be 200 times the number or women they forced into prostitution, so maybe several thousand. After which they should have their arms and legs removed.

So you are excusing the Thai woman who procured the ho's in the first place.

And did the ho's really think that they were gonna get 90k a month for doing legit massages cheesy.gif

My money says they also believed Thaksin when he said he would make them rich in 6 months.

Maybe you are new to Thailand and don't know about how low the level of education is here and in some parts of the country not existent or possible because they can not buy the proper shoes.

The average Thai has no conception of the realities out side there own country. They see tourists and expats who always seem to have money and when they don't they just go to an ATM and get more.

There should be a prize for the first person who manages to work Thaksin into an unrelated topic. Well done.

As for the rest: I fear that in your well intentioned and deserved defense of Thais in this instance, you are rather paternalistic and insulting of them. (The average Thai is an ignorant and naive fool in regards to anything other than things Thai who thinks that ATM dispense infinite amount of cash to foreigners and if they go abroad that will be the case for them too? Or what?)

In any case, there's simply no doubt that many women are fooled by such promises. There is also no doubt that many women know they are being recruited for sex work. We don't know which was the case here and people pretending they do simply reveal things about themselves whichever assumption they make.

I said nothing about if they go abroad they will be in the same position as the farongs they see here. Yes I am being overly paternalistic But I do believe that the average Thai is not shall we say very well informed.

I get tired of all the posters here who do nothing but Thai bash. They have there problems but they all so have a lot of good points far out weighing there bad ones.

Look at the posters here from foreign countries who think Thailand is the most corrupt country in the world. These are people who have had a better education than the average Thai gets and are still clueless.

The reality is that Thailand is tied for number 88 on a list of over 174 countries.

So yes I am not insulting them I am just stating a fact. They do not receive a good education. People with money pay for private schools or send there children abroad.

Sorry, I am sure the women knew what they were getting into but got cold feet so called Paveena to get a free plane ticket home. No prob, lots of other girls who do not have issues with doing the job.

I'm actually not sure they did. As many people have said the average Thai does appear quite naive.

When they were told you need to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty they didn't expect this. smile.png

Greeting new members.

Yeah right. They went over there to earn money as a prostitute, as hundreds of thousands of Thai girls do, in every country in the world and they didn't get the money they were promised so they cry slavery. That is the reality.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm i wonder where this is. Probably Mongkok somewhere.

Wanchai or Lan Kwai Fong more likely.

Lan Kwai Fong definitely not and wanchai is full of discos rather than brothels. There are Massage places all over HK but Mongok is pretty renowned.