Mae Hong Son Border patrol police confiscates over 100,000 war weapons

webfact

Mae Hong Son Border patrol police confiscates over 100,000 war weapons

Mae Hong Son, 15th July 2013 (NNT) - Border patrol police 336 have seized over 100,000 rounds of ammunition and four grenade launchers in Mae Hong Son province.

Acting on a tipoff that arms and ammunition were hidden in a red Nissan, waiting to be shipped across the Thai border, police yesterday made the arrest as the vehicle was entering a house in Mae Hong Son.

The driver was a former police officer named Sumet Mitsita. He was accompanied by a civilian named Johndia Sawasdee. Six sacks of different types of ammunition were found in the vehicle and many more were found inside the house.

Altogether, 109,478 rounds of different types of ammunition have been discovered including 3,800 rounds for carbine 87s, 10,850 rounds for rifles, 36,000 rounds for AK 47 rifles, 31,600 rounds for M16 rifles, and 27,000 rounds for 7.62 caliber rifles, as well as 4 SAM rocket launchers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-15 footer_n.gif

" The driver was a former police officer named Sumet Mitsita." Seems as I read a lot of crime stories, either a policeman or a former policeman is involved.

Whether it is drug smuggling, contract assassinations, or human trafficking, they are in there somewhere. And not on the side doing the stopping of the crime.... :-) I would love to see a permanent TV thread titled Thai Police Gone Bad , so we could see all these stories in one place, but I guess that would make Thailand look bad....

• Like 1

Arms Merchants Arrested In Mae Hong Sorn

n23.jpg

Frontier policemen in Mae Hong Sorn were able to catch an arms merchant gang who traded weapons and ammunition in excessive amounts. It was reported that the Frontier policemen were able to seize over 100,000 rounds of ammunition.

MAEHONGSON: -- [PDN]; Mae Hong Sorn Police officers together with the Provincial Governor held a press conference regarding the arrest of two suspect who had different kinds of rifles and ammunition in possession, it was revealed that one of the suspects was a police man who has been suspended from duty.

Police went to raid a house after police received reports that two war weapon merchants are going to put their weapons into storage at a safe house within Mae Hong Sorn province. Inside the house, the Frontier Police officers were able to detain 2 suspects who were inside.

After carefully inspecting the house and pick-up truck that the suspects came to the house with, police were able to find various kinds of rifles and over 100,000 rounds of ammunition. Mr. Niramon Panwat, the Governor of Mae Hong Sorn province was reported to have been closely involved with the raid and arrest of the suspect in order to wipe out all illegal trades within the province.

The suspects have now been taken to the police station where they’ll be further questioned and charged by police officers.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/07/15/arms-merchants-arrested-in-mae-hong-sorn/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-07-15

Most likely headed for the South,where I am sure there

is a good demand for them,good job the caught the smugglers

regards Worgeordie

Why head south when there are plenty of local customers? I'm sure the per diem will be higher the next time Thaksin holds a BYOGun party,

regards Worgeordie

Myanmar's Shan and Kayah states are literally a stone's throw away from Mae Hong Son. As the article said, this shipment was destined across the border, probably to arm rebel insurgents or criminals involved in the production and/or smuggling of drugs from Myanmar to Thailand.

• Like 1

which border check point in mae hong son can you drive a vehicle across? didnt even know crossing existed there. cant determine which way the vehicle actually was to cross, or it did cross and was then apprehended?

my guess is the stuff was going from thai to myanmar. which would be not PC at all, so strange how this got into the news. interesting to follow the supply chain back to the manufacturer no doubt. you wont ever see that in the press though.

Edited by requiredinfo

which border check point in mae hong son can you drive a vehicle across? didnt even know crossing existed there. cant determine which way the vehicle actually was to cross, or it did cross and was then apprehended?

my guess is the stuff was going from thai to myanmar. which would be not PC at all, so strange how this got into the news. interesting to follow the supply chain back to the manufacturer no doubt. you wont ever see that in the press though.

There is a good road between Mae Aw (Baan Rak Thai) and the nearby Burmese town that locals use. There are also several more primitive roads in the region.

regards Worgeordie

Myanmar's Shan and Kayah states are literally a stone's throw away from Mae Hong Son. As the article said, this shipment was destined across the border, probably to arm rebel insurgents or criminals involved in the production and/or smuggling of drugs from Myanmar to Thailand.

And everyone thinks things are calm and peaceful in Myanmar with their govt that "saw the light" and is now respected by the world. The only thing the Myanmar generals saw is a chance to grab lots of investment dollars.

• Like 2

You are right, there are currently no official checkpoints between Mae Hong Son and MYanmar, and the small unofficial ones that may exist certainly wouldn't allow vehicles to be driven across them. In any case, just driving to the border under the cover of darkness and with a waiting vehicle that has driven to the Myanmar side of the border on some kind of track that may exist on the Myanmar side should be enough for the exchange to take place.

There is a good road between Mae Aw (Baan Rak Thai) and the nearby Burmese town that locals use. There are also several more primitive roads in the region.

I doubt that checkpoint is open, at least officially. Even so, whatever the situation, vehicles can't be driven across. No amount of bribes given to the Thai military will change that although strangely, this doesn't necessarily apply to goods - they can be traded but Thai vehicles have to stay in Thailand, whilst Myanmar vehicles stay in Myanmar.

I've read the story a couple times and I don't see anywhere that a checkpoint or actual crossing of the border is mentioned. It says they were going to a house in Mae Hong Son. It also says that they were 'waiting to be shipped'. This doesn't mean the truck was sitting at the border or that it is how they were going to be sent. The Thai Border Patrol Police cover a wide area along and around the borders. Not necessarially checkpoints. As always, the news articles leave out many facts and one has to make many assumptions.

regards Worgeordie

One man's rebels are another's 'Freedom Fighters'...

Even in the days of Khun Sa (Chiang Chi <deleted>) and his Opium business. He ued the weapons to fight the Illegal Burmese Government and to support his people.

Yep, drugs are bad, but he offered to quit many times, if he could receive assistance for his people.