Taxi driver offers free booze to passengers who spend more than THB999

webfact

Taxi driver offers free booze to passengers who spend more than THB999
By Coconuts Bangkok

1373798690-img2348jpg-o.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver who goes by the name “Lek- Taximeter,” has found a creative way to market himself.

The deal is simple: passengers who spend more than THB999 ($32) receive one can of Leo beer.

So impressed were Thai netizens with Lex's promotional abilities that they've dubbed him“the MVP of cabbies.”Some have even offered him marketing positions at their companies, seeing him as a smart publicist.

Don't drink? For lesser fares customers can receive other deals. [more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/15/taxi-driver-offers-free-booze-passengers-who-spend-more-thb999

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-15

"I service you with honesty"

That is what the girl at Nana says to .... or so I have heard

What are the freebies on offer for 99 and 199 ?

Gotta give him credit for trying to get longer fares

Maybe he is trying to get fares to go to Pattaya

• Like 2

Given that taxi fares in this country are much too low, it would take a 100km trip before the meter goes up to 1000 Baht, unless of course you get one of those taxi drivers that miraculously bump up your fare and doesn't want to use the meter. Although for only 99 Baht fare you get an est coke.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifburp.gif Well I have a driver picking me up at Khorat for several years now, he knows aboard have to be a pack of Khrong Tip and 3 cans of Leo and he always has the same price 3.000,- Baht to the airport! The same price, BKK airport to Khorat! Won't change for the next years!jerk.gifpassifier.gifthumbsup.gif

I thought it was illegal to drink in a vehicle even if you are a passenger.

It is a 10,000 baht fine. But thats just what it says on a sign at the Land Transport, and you're supposed to stop at red lights but red light here means + 5 seconds.

Given that taxi fares in this country are much too low, it would take a 100km trip before the meter goes up to 1000 Baht, unless of course you get one of those taxi drivers that miraculously bump up your fare and doesn't want to use the meter. Although for only 99 Baht fare you get an est coke.

I can't read Thai, but does it actually say the fare must be 999 baht? The news story says you just have to spend 1000 baht, so I would assume you could just hand him a 1000 baht and get a free beer.

Yeah I bet he is. You go in his taxi and go over the 999 baht fee and you get a free Leo. While your drinking that free Leo in his taxi he gets pulled over by the police for someone drinking alcohol in a car. Thats a 10,000 baht fine according to the signs outside most Land Transports. You pay the 10,000 and then they split it 50/50. Expensive free beer I would say, no thanks il get mine from the 7/11. Is this going to be the latest scam? Taxi driver didn't used to rent jet skis in Pattaya did he?

• Like 2

I can't read Thai, but does it actually say the fare must be 999 baht? The news story says you just have to spend 1000 baht, so I would assume you could just hand him a 1000 baht and get a free beer.

ยอดชำระ means Total spent so it's 999 baht or up

I have to add I dislike taking taxis in Thailand and the sooner the skytrains are finished and the number of taxis in Bangkok become less, the better. The reason is the majority are not working for a living, they are mainly working for the opportunities to rip people off or make an easy buck. This cabbie is a professional guy and the majority of cabbies in Thailand lack the professionalism that this guy has. It's way to easy to become a cabbie in Thailand and this is why it attracts the type of people who'd be better off doing a different kind of job, unfortunately though making it tougher to become a cabbie would mean genuine professional people with integrity such as this guy trying to earn a buck and establish himself as a professional driver probably couldn't afford to become a driver. Still with the amount of problems in general that taxi drivers cause, I would say the application process should be a little tougher.

• Like 1

ยอดชำระ means Total spent so it's 999 baht or up

I have to add I dislike taking taxis in Thailand and the sooner the skytrains are finished and the number of taxis in Bangkok become less, the better. The reason is the majority are not working for a living, they are mainly working for the opportunities to rip people off or make an easy buck. This cabbie is a professional guy and the majority of cabbies in Thailand lack the professionalism that this guy has. It's way to easy to become a cabbie in Thailand and this is why it attracts the type of people who'd be better off doing a different kind of job, unfortunately though making it tougher to become a cabbie would mean genuine professional people with integrity such as this guy trying to earn a buck and establish himself as a professional driver probably couldn't afford to become a driver. Still with the amount of problems in general that taxi drivers cause, I would say the application process should be a little tougher.

Congratulations on your Thai reading ability. I'm genuinely impressed. I have yet to master numbers.

As far as the skytrain is concerned, I think it's a general system meant to work in conjunction with buses and taxis and maybe even motor taxi and tuk tuk. Bangkok and any major city on the planet is generally large and no on public transport will suffice for every need.

I've had nothing but a good experience with taxis in Bangkok during the few dozen times i've used one.

edit: I said few dozen but I should have said several dozen.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

Sounds an enterprising guy who wants work. As long as he is honest and reliable and safe I would send people to someone who obviously sees customer service matters.

I'd be more impressed with:

Taxi driver with knowledge of the city, drives safely and within the rules of the road, seatbelts still attached.

And uses standard size tires for an honest meter reading.

Sounds an enterprising guy who wants work. As long as he is honest and reliable and safe I would send people to someone who obviously sees customer service matters.

I'd be more impressed with:

Taxi driver with knowledge of the city, drives safely and within the rules of the road, seatbelts still attached.

And uses standard size tires for an honest meter reading.

Yeah I bet he is. You go in his taxi and go over the 999 baht fee and you get a free Leo. While your drinking that free Leo in his taxi he gets pulled over by the police for someone drinking alcohol in a car. Thats a 10,000 baht fine according to the signs outside most Land Transports. You pay the 10,000 and then they split it 50/50. Expensive free beer I would say, no thanks il get mine from the 7/11. Is this going to be the latest scam? Taxi driver didn't used to rent jet skis in Pattaya did he?

Skeptical, are we? Where does it say that the customer must open and drink the beer? You are overreaching, in the sake of trying to cause a negative, where it is a positive.