Where to rent a condo in Bangkok 4K-6K

mjef

Don't worry about people on TV say you changed..... None of their business what you do. You started with a lower budget and then after you saw what was available you increased. Your standards are higher than perhaps others giving advise. Go with what you can afford but also what will make you happy. Anyone who gives you sh-t screw them !!!

• Like 2

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the condo you are looking at is on Soi 65, you can get the motorbike taxi guys at Sukhumvit 7/11 to run you back to your condo for 10 baht. My walk to Sukhumvit is only 2 or 3 minutes but my building also has a free tuk tuk going mornings and evenings. I take sometimes just because I can... Hahaha. Easy, quiet, relaxing life in this area of the woods :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys :-)

Today I visited ASpace Asoke. It's not far from bts, but I think it's kind of expensive for 12k/month for what it offers. Then I visited ASpace Sukhumvit 77. It's so very far from the On Nut bts. 50 baht for a motor cycle, but 10 for a songtaew. I didn't think it's worth it but when I saw the room I liked it! A clean 35 sqm condo with a small bedroom, washing machine, stove, and swimming pool at 9k/mo. The good thing about it is that there are a series of buildings with integrated management and very good security. They are also very beautifully designed. But the drawback is the distance from the bts (about 3km). Of course this is not as good as that one in the Sukhumvit 65. Not the condo nor the area. But it's 3k cheaper too. So what do you think? Is it a pain to be this far from the bts?

Thanks guys :-)

Today I visited ASpace Asoke. It's not far from bts, but I think it's kind of expensive for 12k/month for what it offers. Then I visited ASpace Sukhumvit 77. It's so very far from the On Nut bts. 50 baht for a motor cycle, but 10 for a songtaew. I didn't think it's worth it but when I saw the room I liked it! A clean 35 sqm condo with a small bedroom, washing machine, stove, and swimming pool at 9k/mo. The good thing about it is that there are a series of buildings with integrated management and very good security. They are also very beautifully designed. But the drawback is the distance from the bts (about 3km). Of course this is not as good as that one in the Sukhumvit 65. Not the condo nor the area. But it's 3k cheaper too. So what do you think? Is it a pain to be this far from the bts?

3,000 baht is 3,000 baht But Take the cost of a motorbike taxi and multiply it by 60. Not saying you will need everyday but maybe two trips a day sometimes. Then take the additional cost for the BTS or Taxi to your place of school or play... It all factors into the overall price.

When I was looking I narrowed it down to two units, both happened to be in about the same area. I took the smaller unit in the better building, I loved the pool... Sweetest I saw. But, looked at both units again back to back and then made my mind up... You see new things, good and bad each time you visit.

^^^^^

I also visited On Nut and Phra Kanong. It's obviously too trendy and pricy

No offence mate, but I think this is the first time and only time i will ever hear of both these places being referred to as too trendy and pricey, lets cut to the chase, they are both dumps, popular with the sex pats and their upcountry teeraks.

Lat Phrao 48 Not only it is very far from the BTS,

Jeez, how close do you want, its less than a kilo.

but also the area is not lively at all!

Please define, lively, there are farang who go all the way to the lower Suk ghetto, when everything they seek is right on their doorstep, you like them, dont know what you are looking at, not lively, you are havin a laugh.

My advice to you, stay where you are.

Some very unrealistic expectations it seems.

Victory Monument not lively? Too busy? lol.

On Nut too trendy and expensive???

1km too far from mass transport???

Your budget is very small and your "needs" are all over the place.

---------

And yes, for 10k I could very easily find you better options than the place you are likely considering.

I'm not much of an outgoing person. But I will be out most of the weekends. So I need a comfortable place with easy access to some of these items: street food, Tesco Lotus, 7-11, restaurants, etc.

That's pretty much every apartment in Bangkok then.

Going from 4k to 12k is a big jump, why did you want somewhere so cheap in the first place when you could afford so much more?

You complained earlier that Ratchaprarop Mansion Tower was too far from the BTS. Yet you're considering a place that's 12 minutes away. Ratchararop Mansion is less than 12 min walk to BTS.

Well I'm not for the idea that you have spend your money to the last dime! If I was comfortable in a 4k condo I wouldn't have paid even 500 bahts more! And with comfortable I mean comfortable in my terms, which I can call it home and can stay in it even 24 hours a day. To me Ratchaprarop Tower was exactly like a prison! And as I said 2 times before, the problem with Ratchaprarop was not the distance to the BTS station. But for such a price I expected something to justify it which I couldn't find. If you take a look at the condo that I was in today, you will not even call Ratchaprarop Tower a prison!

And about my budget I should say I was back home when I was planning. 4k wouldn't buy anything even close to my expectations so I increased it step by step as I got feedback from the market and people on this forum. Now I have a more realistic view about the hidden fees and what is really available! There are lots of comfy rooms out there at 6k-8k per month, but when you see that you can't cook at home, you can't wash your clothes at home, you have to pay double the government rate for elec and water, you have to pay for swimming/fitness separately, and you might not even be comfortable at home, then it all makes sense to pay the extra. Again, it will pay off.

Now I hope all your questions are answered :-) Do you have anything to suggest? Like a soi or some areas for me to look?

Not true. My condo is 7k and is less than 10min walk to MRT. It has a pool and gym free to use. I have a washing machine AND a separate kitchen in my apartment. All bills are paid at government rate. There are restaurants in the soi and a 7/11 downstairs.

If your budget is 7-10k then you can easily get what I have.

• Like 1

yeah dont listen to these people trashing you OP. you got some tips so check them out. Go as high as possible in your budget though. I agree with those who advise that. the advise on travels hassles is good also

I would try and get as far away from mrt/bts as possible that a moto ride would take care of so you can get the best place for the money. good that you know about the electric scam

Dude

try places like Bearing or Samrong,

plenty of Thai residential areas,

4-6k for sure, should get you a bed, and tv,

most towers have wifi for 300 per month.

get off the Sukhumvit road in any direction, any soi,

no air con but a fan works just fine for me,

motorbike taxi to BTS 20bht,

job done.

been there done that.

take no notice of these clowns on here.

• Like 1

I'm not much of an outgoing person. But I will be out most of the weekends. So I need a comfortable place with easy access to some of these items: street food, Tesco Lotus, 7-11, restaurants, etc.

That's pretty much every apartment in Bangkok then.

Going from 4k to 12k is a big jump, why did you want somewhere so cheap in the first place when you could afford so much more?

You complained earlier that Ratchaprarop Mansion Tower was too far from the BTS. Yet you're considering a place that's 12 minutes away. Ratchararop Mansion is less than 12 min walk to BTS.

Well I'm not for the idea that you have spend your money to the last dime! If I was comfortable in a 4k condo I wouldn't have paid even 500 bahts more! And with comfortable I mean comfortable in my terms, which I can call it home and can stay in it even 24 hours a day. To me Ratchaprarop Tower was exactly like a prison! And as I said 2 times before, the problem with Ratchaprarop was not the distance to the BTS station. But for such a price I expected something to justify it which I couldn't find. If you take a look at the condo that I was in today, you will not even call Ratchaprarop Tower a prison!

And about my budget I should say I was back home when I was planning. 4k wouldn't buy anything even close to my expectations so I increased it step by step as I got feedback from the market and people on this forum. Now I have a more realistic view about the hidden fees and what is really available! There are lots of comfy rooms out there at 6k-8k per month, but when you see that you can't cook at home, you can't wash your clothes at home, you have to pay double the government rate for elec and water, you have to pay for swimming/fitness separately, and you might not even be comfortable at home, then it all makes sense to pay the extra. Again, it will pay off.

Now I hope all your questions are answered :-) Do you have anything to suggest? Like a soi or some areas for me to look?

Not true. My condo is 7k and is less than 10min walk to MRT. It has a pool and gym free to use. I have a washing machine AND a separate kitchen in my apartment. All bills are paid at government rate. There are restaurants in the soi and a 7/11 downstairs.

If your budget is 7-10k then you can easily get what I have.

This is great!

Where are you staying then?

and you can rent a studio at A-Space Sutthisan (not rama9) for a lot less than 12k.

I've seen rooms advertised for 7k there

Just got off the phone with them: NO HAVE! FULL!

Seems this one was too good! :-)

• Like 1

and you can rent a studio at A-Space Sutthisan (not rama9) for a lot less than 12k.

Not full....

Don't rent through the juristic office. Rent directly from owner of rooms...

Condo = individually owned rooms.

You want some numbers to call for A-Space?

Here

A-Space Sutthisan Play

9,000 baht - 0875457859

7,000 baht - 089-9272933

9,000 baht - 081 250 9030

6000-7000 baht - 085-042-7755

1bed - 10,000 baht - 089-105-7100

Your welcome..

• Like 1

yeah dont listen to these people trashing you OP. you got some tips so check them out. Go as high as possible in your budget though. I agree with those who advise that. the advise on travels hassles is good also

I would try and get as far away from mrt/bts as possible that a moto ride would take care of so you can get the best place for the money. good that you know about the electric scam

Dude

try places like Bearing or Samrong,

plenty of Thai residential areas,

4-6k for sure, should get you a bed, and tv,

most towers have wifi for 300 per month.

get off the Sukhumvit road in any direction, any soi,

no air con but a fan works just fine for me,

motorbike taxi to BTS 20bht,

job done.

been there done that.

take no notice of these clowns on here.

If you are paying 6k per month for a room with no air con you're getting ripped off massively.

I know about 6 or 7 guys living in places under 6k per month and they all have aircon, are walking distance to the BTS, get a bed, TV, fridge, usually a desk and chairs. A few even have pools.

No one is saying it's not possible to get an apartment for that price (and most of the guys I know have OK apartments) the problem was the OP got given loads of suggestions based on their requirements then came back and complained that the suggestions weren't good enough / too lively / too small / to far / like a prison / too touristy / didn't have XYZ and most of it was because they had unrealistic expectations, too low a budget for what they wanted (which they were told) and a checklist of far too many items that have to be perfect.

Not full....

Here

A-Space Sutthisan Play

9,000 baht - 0875457859

7,000 baht - 089-9272933

Your welcome..

This is awesome! I will call them tomorrow morning.

Btw, how did you find these numbers? This is exactly what I'm looking for. A list of numbers so that I can call or units that I can visit. Most of the units offered on internet are not available anymore, or when I call they give me a higher price. easyhomes.tv and mrroomfinder.com are good examples. Nearly 99% of the units offered is not available anymore. I met their agent which was an American and he told me that the manager isn't actually into updating the site!

I can recommend a nice condo near Udomsok BTS , Sukhumvit 101/1 , only 600 meters from BTS.

I stayed there before and it is very nice condo units with big pool and gym , coffeeship, 7 eleven etc.

SS Sukhumvit condo , I paid 11000 for mine but I have seen rooms there for 9000 .

The people staying there is a mix of Thais , Korean, Japanese and farang.

http://www.ssresidential.co.th/s&s101/html/gallery.html

Also you mentioned A space sukhumvit 77 , well here is an ad from August 21 on Prakard.com , and they offer rooms from 6500 .

http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=752648

The number to call is : 085 968 0351 Khun Natchuda.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Not full....

Here

A-Space Sutthisan Play

9,000 baht - 0875457859

7,000 baht - 089-9272933

Your welcome..

This is awesome! I will call them tomorrow morning.

Btw, how did you find these numbers? This is exactly what I'm looking for. A list of numbers so that I can call or units that I can visit. Most of the units offered on internet are not available anymore, or when I call they give me a higher price. easyhomes.tv and mrroomfinder.com are good examples. Nearly 99% of the units offered is not available anymore. I met their agent which was an American and he told me that the manager isn't actually into updating the site!

those are both garbage websites. easyhomes is for higher budget and a bad site, and mrroomfinder hasn't been managed for years.

these are much better..

http://www.ddproperty.com/

http://en.9apartment.com/

http://www.tee-pak.com/en/

even craiglist has some decent rooms every now and then

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/

also a few very large thai forums that advertise apartments.

one example is www.pantipmarket.com/

---------------------

Basically if your price range is between 7-15k then there are a lot of options available online.

Mrroomfinder and places like that can still be useful to find the names and locations of specific buildings for further research.

I like to map out an area where i want to stay and then get an idea of the buildings there that I would consider. There is always going to be a lot that you won't find online though. For example Srvvara Mansion 2 is an enormous condo on Soi 7 Ratchada which is a tiny walk to shops and MRT. The rooms are 40sqm and it has a pool but for some reason it is nearly impossible to find room advertised online. The juristic office always has a few rooms to rent and there are rentals advertised on lightposts in the soi for this place quite often.

I think with apartments in BKK it works 2 ways. You either put in the work, or you put in the money if you want to find a good place. Those that do get rewarded. Those that don't end up living in On Nut (sorry for those who do) :P

I think with apartments in BKK it works 2 ways. You either put in the work, or you put in the money if you want to find a good place. Those that do get rewarded. Those that don't end up living in On Nut (sorry for those who do)

I agree with this.

Some people just find some flashy website on the internet advertising apartments in English for a price that isn't really worth it and then read a few recommendations online from other people who did the same and without looking around assume that this place is a good deal and a good apartment and take it.

They then come on here and say "you can't get a good apartment in Bangkok for under 20,000B per month. I pay 25k and I only have a 20sqm with a bed and no more".

The reality is there are decent apartments all over BKK for as low as 4-5k if you're willing to look. I found a super modern place just off the BTS (literally a 30 second walk down a soi) at Siam for 9,000B.

Who knew you could get a place in that area so cheap? It just wasn't big enough for me.

I think with apartments in BKK it works 2 ways. You either put in the work, or you put in the money if you want to find a good place. Those that do get rewarded. Those that don't end up living in On Nut (sorry for those who do)

I agree with this.

Some people just find some flashy website on the internet advertising apartments in English for a price that isn't really worth it and then read a few recommendations online from other people who did the same and without looking around assume that this place is a good deal and a good apartment and take it.

They then come on here and say "you can't get a good apartment in Bangkok for under 20,000B per month. I pay 25k and I only have a 20sqm with a bed and no more".

The reality is there are decent apartments all over BKK for as low as 4-5k if you're willing to look. I found a super modern place just off the BTS (literally a 30 second walk down a soi) at Siam for 9,000B.

Who knew you could get a place in that area so cheap? It just wasn't big enough for me.

Yup.

My friend used to rent an apartment for 3,500 baht.

Not near MRT or BTS yet still central in BKK. However the area and soi is fantastic with restaurants and little businesses.

Its a 1br and like 55sqm and furnished better than most 20,000baht rooms.

From the outside it just looks like another square concrete building. The room furnishings really are top tier though.

Never find a place like that online.

You mean I can get sleep in a Sauna that comes with a fan and wake up in a puddle of sweat several times per night? This is beyond great really.

It's heaven

you can get A/C in rooms at this budget. then again you are just another old fat expat who spends the majority of his time at Nana Plaza exploiting poor girls for sex, so i am not surprised that you do not know any better.

Edited by Metapod
  • Like 1

You mean I can get sleep in a Sauna that comes with a fan and wake up in a puddle of sweat several times per night? This is beyond great really.

It's heaven

you can get A/C in rooms at this budget. then again you are just another old fat expat who spends the majority of his time at Nana Plaza exploiting poor girls for sex, so i am not surprised that you do not know any better.

biggrin.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

That really did make me laugh out loud.

You can indeed get rooms with aircon for as low as 4k as I know guys who have them.

A friend pays 5k p/m and there's a pool at his place.

Some people will tell you that you can't find a place with a pool for under 10k. rolleyes.gif

If you go looking you can find good low priced placed but they aren't well advertised and it involves hitting the pavement and going looking for yourself. They don't have flashy websites.

Rooms at Meechai Mansion ( behind Fortune) used to go for 5K. Has a pool, fitness center, laundry, minimart etc. Plus a pub where women go to pick-up guys. Not sure if the pub is still there though.

A bit further behind what used to be Jusco ( after Thailand Cultural Center mrt) there's a street called Chan Mueang with some of the rooms in the sois going for 2500-3000 with ac. No pool though and some of the rooms can be quite noisy.

Internet in Thailand...hahaha i was use to better...first apartment was decent was able to download movies etc but then again half the tennats were japanese americans and british, to save a $200 a month i moved up and over the road...apartment was cooler, internet was disgusting, i winged and complianed so often nothing much changed, it was changeable, they gave me a modem, then after a 6 weeks that didnt work anymore suprisingly then the apartment wifi kicked in with various annoyances...

The new apartment block cleaner had no idea, hardly ever saw cleaning, spit on SS panels in lift stayed there for months, ho yes the electric bill went up, first month it was fine then it doubled i did a song and dance about that and it never reached those lofty heights again and mind you i slept with fan only AC only came on for no more than 3or 4 hrs a day in total.

I also added 15 min walk to a 10 min walk to a MRT...didnt seem like a big deal at first since i like to walk...in the end it was so dam hot i had to give up walking when possible catching dirty bus to the MRT, waiting in awful sticky conditions for it and of course most of the buses didnt just go down 3 ks to the station, often 3 buses came same time other times waiting 15 min...i use to think i could have walked...standing there was just as uncomfortable as walking.

I didnt go cheap cheap last place cost me 8,000 plus 500 for worthless internet, was a 1 bedroom apartment mainly freqented but middle income thais but there were a few aussies in there...2 i think and in the lad phrao area.

Getting a taxi home often proved an adventure, obviously new teacher hasnt experianced taxi culture in thailand, they actualy say no to you and often when you tell them where you wanna go, often useing traffic jam as reason, yes main road towards my apartmen often had traffic jams up untill 11 am at night starting from around 4.30 pm.

So young man and i assume you are a young man seems like a great adventure to live in the sticks in BKK and if its short term you might survive but im pretty sure after 6 mths a down town residence at 3 times the cost is gonna look pretty good in comparison

What did i learn after 1 year living there? closer the better to MRT or BTS, live downtown is best, you get what you pay for and with thai internet there is a lot of hit and miss, they expect you to accept what ever they give you, no such thing as customer service and will see you as a cranky farang, there for i would pay for mobile internet for my iphone and use it to conect my laptop as long as you dont need to download any big files more likely to be less stressful.

Hi guys

Sorry I was too busy moving and everything. Finally I went for that 12k/mo Sukhumvit 65 condo doubling my budget! It's called D'65 Condominium. Like most of the codos this is privately owned, but it has a good central management office. D'65 has two 8-story buildings with rooftop swimming pool and fitness center. Each building has a 24h security guard and also an electronic key card. I rented a stylish and clean 36 sqm studio with a balcony, washing machine, electric stove, and big LCD TV. First day I noticed the electric heater in the bathroom wasn't working. Told the person at the counter and she sent their technician up. He checked it and said that the sensor was not working. Then after a couple of days (after they called the owner I suppose) he came up and replaced the heater for me.

I visited tens of other condos before I chose this one. many of them were very nice actually but unfortunately couldn't find a cheaper condo with all my expectations and standards and honestly I kind of fell in love with this one laugh.png . So here are some of the places that I visited as a contribution to this thread wai.gif:

I visited a couple of condos from different owners in A Space Sutthisan. There are some beautiful rooms with all kind of different sizes and furniture in A Space buildings. But the problem with A Space is that they always go as far as possible from the BTS/MRT! This one was a bit less than 3 km far from the Sutthisan station and in a very quiet road without any shops nearby. They offered me a studio room for 10k/mo without a TV but with a washing machine. Another one had the TV but no washing machine, stove, or microwave for 9k/mo. The building also has a large swimming pool.

Srivara Mansion 2 in Ratchada soi 7 has all kind of different units all 40 sqm I guess but with different furniture and conditions. The building is very old but some of the rooms are very beautifully renovated. They showed me several units but the one that was cleaner and recently renovated with a washing machine and microwave was 14k/mo I think!

There's this Ratchada City Home building in Ratchada soi 10. Oddly the swimming pool is the first thing you see when you enter the building area! It's literally in the soi! But the studio room was nice and had a couple of things that I needed but didn't lacked a couple of them too. The biggest drawback is the distance from MRT. Pretty much like the Srivara Mansion it's exactly in the middle of Huai Khwang and Cultural Center stations. So a motorbike taxi is necessary.

There's a building called Ivy Ratachada in a quieter area not far from Sutthisan MRT. Although nobody spoke English in this building I visited twice and looked into two different units. One at 10k/mo and the other at 12k/mo. None of them comes with a washing machine and stove/microwave. But the building is new, modern and clean. They have a nice pool and fitness center which is free. The location is within the walking distance of Sutthisan MRT.

Ratchada Orchid was the last one I saw. It's a tall building deep into a small soi in Sutthisan area. The building has a swimming pool and fitness center too. I saw a 30 sqm unit there. Although nice but it didn't have what I needed inside the room and it's a bit far from the MRT.

All the above condos are actually good ones that I would go for if I didn't have these special requirements. Sutthisan and Huay Khwang area are business oriented and modern areas of Bangkok and I really liked the atmosphere there. But I found D'65 slightly better than the rest of them which actually meets all my requirements. I only searched 6 days for the "place of my dreams" which is obviously not enough in a big city like Bangkok. But I was staying in a hotel and at the end I caught a terrible cold too. So I said that's enough! Before I didn't know where o look for condos. There was a lot of misleading information on mrroomfinder.com that I based my numbers on. It's trash! But I found http://www.ddproperty.com/ a really helpful website. At least they have a date tag on their ads so you'll know how old this ad is. Of course prakard.com is the best if you can read/write Thai. I didn't find tee-pak.com helpful either. It's not up to date.

Bottom line:

You can definitely find condos at 6k/mo with A/C and even a swimming pool. But if you are going to stay most of the week at home working and studying and actually care about the location (not far from BTS/MRT), your neighbors (not too cheap, not too noisy), furniture (I don't like worn off 10th hand furniture), etc at the same time, you have to go up to 10-12k/mo. If you need a place to relax under the A/C in front of the TV after work you can definitely find something good at 6-8k/mo.

Please notice these were my personal opinions. People are different and I respect all. Some would live without any problems in a 4k condo, some can't live even in a 12k condo. It all comes to one's preferences and budget.

• Like 1

I live at City Home and it takes me 10min on the dot to walk from my building to the MRT.

Motorbike taxi neccessary? Maybe if you are fat and out of shape. There are also MB taxis at the end of the soi.

funny that you had to go up to 12k. I honestly believe I could pick a room just as nice for 8-10k but eh. :)

really great thread. I want to thank the OP for taking it all the way to the end and much was learned here. certainly we learned that all those cheapos who claim you can rent places for basically nothing are full of it. the OPs 12K is a realistic number that gets him a decent place close to BTS

• Like 1

None of them comes with a washing machine and stove

Very few do. Not sure why you expected a 4-6k apartment would tbh.

certainly we learned that all those cheapos who claim you can rent places for basically nothing are full of it. the OPs 12K is a realistic number that gets him a decent place close to BTS

No what we found was the OP had unrealistic expectations (remember at first they wanted to spend 4-6k and were willing to raise it by 1k) and wanted a spacious condo with everything under the sun (including an oven and washing machine which is not common) that had to be in a 'lively' area but not busy. Had to be busy but not touristy (On Nut was apparently too touristy but Ekkamai not?) and close to the BTW and so many other conditions that would be near impossible to fulfil.

In the end the OP took a 12k condo that is 15 minutes walk I believe from the BTS.

No one claimed you could spend 4k and get a perfect condo. All anyone said was that it was definitely possible to get a liveable apartment, in a decent area, within walking distance to the BTS for 4-6k which it most definitely is.