Call for Thai liquor industry to 'practise modesty'

webfact

BUDDHIST LENT
Call for liquor industry to 'practise modesty'

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Drinkers are advised to not get carried away with heavy campaigning by liquor sellers in the run-up to Buddhist Lent, during which alcohol-restraint is practised among Thai Buddhists throughout the three-month period.

A Bangkok seminar on alcohol control yesterday called on liquor producers or sellers to reduce their sponsorship and to practise modesty.

Chulalongkorn University lecturer, Prof Parichart Satapitanon, placed the blame firmly on the corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities of liquor producers in areas of sports and entertainment, which, she said, sought to instil long-term brand loyalty among young people - although their CSR events had did not directly encourage youngsters to drink, she added.

Parichart called on the liquor industry to sponsor CSR activities that didn't focus on brand recognition and invest more in assistance programmes aimed at helping victims of drink-driving and alcohol abuse. The lecturer emphasised the negative impact of the liquor industry's sponsorship of entertainment and sporting events, which she said were a "magnet" for young people.

The director of StopDrink foundation, Songkran Pakchokdee, said liquor sellers feared the "Stop Drinking During Khao Phansa [buddhist Lent]" campaign, which had been very effective in discouraging drinking among young Thai people.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-22

again the intention is good

however again will have next to no effect

ban big signs that promote alcohol the banners at sport event will have the same effect , next to none

the key to effect is education so the people will now what it does

and perhaps legilise ganja !!

Yeah...who cares!

I wish, they would as much drive behind their education of YOUNG people, as they do into lecturing OLD people!

And for the Buddhist- concept: Buddhists are just cherry- picking- as much as Christians do!

I throw the Bible- quotes at you, that I like...and forget about those, who don't fit my points!

Good Buddhists- my behind!

• Like 1

They could follow the plain packaging of cigarettes by putting all booze in brown paper bags, and make the Beer girls wear sack cloth?

this option is by far the most ridiculous i have ever seen , seeing someone drink from a brown paper bag tells he is drinking alcohol

it is the same nonsense as blurring out the cigarette someone is smoking in a movie while the smoke is still coming from his mouth and the hand that holds it

• Like 1

again the intention is good

however again will have next to no effect

ban big signs that promote alcohol the banners at sport event will have the same effect , next to none

the key to effect is education so the people will now what it does

and perhaps legilise ganja !!

Some years back I visited a favourite watering hole In Nong Khai and the owner told me he had been visited by the local BIB who said because there were schools, and obviously schoolchildren, in the area he was not to display anything that advertised alcohol. Posters, bunting even beer mats and bar towels were out and all this with me sitting right next to the soi sipping my afternoon tea and in full view of any passing by.

Adding insult to injury he switched on the TV and on live was an international ladies, very attractive, ladies volleyball tournament from Bangkok sponsored by Singha complete with advertising everywhere in view and parties of young schoolgirls in the audience.

• Like 1

They could follow the plain packaging of cigarettes by putting all booze in brown paper bags, and make the Beer girls wear sack cloth?

Beer girls in sack cloth ! Ooohhh, I love it when you talk dirty

• Like 1

this option is by far the most ridiculous i have ever seen , seeing someone drink from a brown paper bag tells he is drinking alcohol

it is the same nonsense as blurring out the cigarette someone is smoking in a movie while the smoke is still coming from his mouth and the hand that holds it

Maybe you need to get out of the other side of the bed.

How does an industry practice modesty?

An industry can practice modesty by taking social responsibility. Quite common in the West, who the experts here normally love to compare Thailand to! whistling.gif

Funny enough, whenever something pops up, intended to limit your basic right to kill yourself with alcohol, there is no reaction from the Thais, but the everthirsty expatcommunity gets all animated!

• Like 1

The people who dream these things up live in a world of their own.

Prostitution is illegal yet it is the realms biggest industry...'biggest employer'

Gambling is illegal but it's openly engaged in...

Fornicating with the neighbours wife (or daughter) is frowned upon (according to their religion) but they are all at it including senior monks.

Drugs are likewise illegal 'refer to the line above.

It has long been and will continue to be a joke in the eyes of the world bah.gif

• Like 1

An industry can practice modesty by taking social responsibility. Quite common in the West, who the experts here normally love to compare Thailand to! whistling.gif

Funny enough, whenever something pops up, intended to limit your basic right to kill yourself with alcohol, there is no reaction from the Thais, but the everthirsty expatcommunity gets all animated!

Voluntary modesty from any company?

They follow the law to the minimum they have to.

Farang bashing again, aren't you?

If you don't like it...stay home!

• Like 1

Are you sure that is what you really think?facepalm.gif

Or

Are you really against the Beer girls wearing sack cloth?tongue.png

• Like 1

Sorry I have to disagree with the with the industries in the west practicing modesty. They are obeying the law which they fought tooth and nail and spent billions trying to stop.

But boy did you nail the expats being the ones to complain. I no longer partake of the drinking pleasure but in my day I did my share and maybe yours. If I knew it was unavailable tomorrow I would stock up today. Same with cigarets but they never made it illegal to buy them after a certain age.I can understand the Expat business owners complaining but I can't understand the non owners complaining. Some times I am absolutely sure some of the expats here are not even close to being intelligent.whistling.gif

• Like 2

Prostitution is illegal yet it is the realms biggest industry...'biggest employer'

Fornicating with the neighbours wife (or daughter) is frowned upon (according to their religion) but they are all at it including senior monks.

It has long been and will continue to be a joke in the eyes of the world bah.gif

when you say joke of the world I presume you knew all this and still chose to come here.

Strange reason to come to Thailand.

This is an easy request to make during the morning, but after sunset and half a bottle of any spirit 'practising modesty' is low on most people's mind.

Where are the promotion's girls on this message?

We need more picture threads of the promotion girls. clap2.gif

Yeah, I think I too need to see some irrelevant pictures of promo girls before I can make my mind up about this one....

good call

the "Stop Drinking During Khao Phansa [buddhist Lent]" campaign, which had been very effective in discouraging drinking among young Thai people

It worked? Well, somebody please inform the young Thai people. :bah:

Are you sure that is what you really think?facepalm.gif

Or

Are you really against the Beer girls wearing sack cloth?tongue.png

hahaha would love to see that but make sure the fabric is'nt to thick eh

And that can apply to many other countries too.