How much do u spend for a good life in Thailand.

I just came up with a fun topic when i sat at home thinking about my spendings.

I been living in Thailand for the last 3 years, 1 year in Pattaya, 1 year in Soi dao (Chantaburi Province) and the last year in Bangkok.
After looking at my wifes bankbook which i never updated for 3 years, i saw with my own eyes how much money we had spent during the 3 years.

I am 24 years old, my wife 26.
We spend about 100-120k baht/month.

What is your tips to keep down the costs?

Just a few days ago i got a little son, so im thinking about how i can spend and stretch every satang for a better life for my family now.

Best Regards.

// Chris.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

about 120k is about right. Servants run at about 25k and liquor (good wine)10-15K Wifes allowance 30k entertaining 15k

medical and medicine 15k. two cars upkeap food, electric it all mounts up. If you have to pay rent add another 50k

• Like 2

I just came up with a fun topic when i sat at home thinking about my spendings.

I been living in Thailand for the last 3 years, 1 year in Pattaya, 1 year in Soi dao (Chantaburi Province) and the last year in Bangkok.

After looking at my wifes bankbook which i never updated for 3 years, i saw with my own eyes how much money we had spent during the 3 years.

I am 24 years old, my wife 26.

We spend about 100-120k baht/month.

What is your tips to keep down the costs?

Just a few days ago i got a little son, so im thinking about how i can spend and stretch every satang for a better life for my family now.

Best Regards.

// Chris.

And you can afford to spend B120k per mth at age 21? Well done.

• Like 2

Wheres the OP gone?

as the op said a fun topic,ha ha ha and where has he gone [he's waiting outside the bank]

and where is the wife playing cards,funny that as there's a joker in every pack.

• Like 1

It always amazes me to come across an exPat living here that spends s if he's still in his own country. My rule of thumb here is that it is about 75% LESS to live here than in the USA (where I am from). AmI the only one that thinks it looks like this kid is being taken advantage of (what?! In Thailand)!!

I am single, like the ladies, but do not drink or go to bars. I rarely exceed 40,000 bahta month living in Pattaya. I rent a nice quiet townhouse, have a nice large motorbike (200cc), never deny myself anything, and never think about how much any meals cost, etc. Cut back by more than 50%....

• Like 1

Own house and two cars, no payments. Own water well. Electric about 4k/month, internet 600, 2 phones 400. Diesel and benzine about 3k/month. Mostly cook our own food and eat very well; shop at Makro for quality also price. About 40k baht per month and living very well on Phuket which is supposedly most expensive province in TH (I believe it).

• Like 1

OK, you just convinced me not to put off the move to Thailand any longer. Your monthly expenditure of 100K is alone what I pay for one month's rent in Singapore. I wouldn't want to shock you with the cost of living beyond that... [hint: I ended up paying the equivalent of bt600 for a pint of ale last week].

For fun and nothing better to do, I've been keeping a detailed account of all my costs by categories. This year I thought I'd see if I could keep my expenses to 65k a month which is what immigration wants to see you have for a retirement visa.

Last year I spent 937,000. This year I'm 61,000 over my budget of 65,000/mo. However, given three large purchases equaling 124,000 this year I figure that's pretty good. Barring extraordinary expenses, 65,000/mo is a comfortable range and I'm in a 15,000/mo townhouse, have a car and two PCX150's. There are two of us, but the GF does make 21,000/mo and buys much of her own stuff.

120-124k/mo is excessive for a nice living here.

• Like 1

Been here 5 years and have seen the monthly/annual spending increase but for us .... a family of 3 including a teenage daughter in central province, renting a 3 story shop house .... all in .... it costs on average 45,000B. We run 2 scooters no car or truck. Eat out regularly ... actually the wife and kid eat out several times a day. We live a good life ... not a stupid life.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

We, my wife and I, have been living in Thailand for over 10 years and our experience is that if one owns one's accommodation, no repayments on a car (or cars) and without expensive holidays (within or outside Thailand) around 60 t0 75K can suffice for a very comfortable life. What is expensive in Thailand is private education (particularly so international schooling), which can cost up to Baht 50k monthly (non boarding). Further, if one lives in a luxurious, central area in Bangkok ( the same, but to a lesser degree applies to Chiang Mai, or Phuket) in rented accommodation than even 120k monthly won't be enough.

Having said that, to maintain that one can comfortably live here 75% cheaper than in the US, is, in my view totally unrealistic, unless one lives in one's own house, in a cheap area and eats only Thai food (which can be very tasty at times). Obviously life is cheaper here than in Europe or US ( not even mentioning Singapore and HK), but it all depends on the life style one wishes to lead. If we compare our cost of living here to the US or Europe, where we used to live before we came here, I would say that apart from the luxurious house we have here and the housemaid, which we could most certainly not afford overseas, we could live in most parts of the US or continental Europe, for the same income. Again, we spent much, much more when we had two daughters attending international schools!

• Like 1

Probably too much with just one wife:-) I have several disposable "wives" every week, play golf 2-3 times, no car but a thirsty Harley, own condo, and it works out about 100-120 a month, most of it "entertainment" which I guess is what good life in LOS means.

My Australian wife and I are looking at moving to Thailand when we retire, although that might be sooner if I can't get a job soon :-(. We are budgeting on living near Chiang Mail for about $A1,500-2000 and plan to use that as a base to explore the region. Whilst we like our luxury, are also happy with budget quality lifestyle if where we are is interesting.

Depends on what you consider a good life? I lived in Singapore for 25 years before coming to live in Thailand and my standard of living increased dramatically for a lot less money. My company pays my rent and provides a car, but that is only about Bht100k/month. Then my wife and I spend another Bht150k-Bht200k/month on food, drink and the nippers school fees. All together, about 1/3 of what I spent in Singapore monthly. But to be expected.

Buy an apatment it's good saving and investment when you need some cash you can re-finance, not house because house have to use local name to buy, big trouble later.

Do some investment to fill back your bank account without it I am sure a day will be empty but must be very safe investment many poeple scam nowdays.

• Like 1