where to find a Food dehydrator in CM?

jaideeguy

Always looking for easy to find items in the west, but hard to find here. Just wondering if there have been any sightings of electric food dehydrators in CM?? Save me some gas and frustration please............

I have found one from Verasu.com in BKK, but price is 4,000+ postage and will go for that if there are none in CM.

Thanks in advance............

Wanted one as well. Went to look at the two major kitchen stores. currently they suggest using small "toaster" ovens with the fan assist mode.

Not what I was looking for really. But apart from that no luck.

So am waiting, with you, for some answers.

generally just need something about 130 degrees for most foods and about 155 for meats

so any low heat box with a fan works.

There are lots of plans online for DIY dehydrators including solar dehydrators.

Might take a few trips to the hardware store but pretty easy and cheap to do.

The only specialty dehydrators I have seen for sale at the health food stores are really expensive due to import taxes

Yea, that might work, but would probably use up a lot of watts and give uneven results. I did find the same model that verasu.com has in the catalog at Rimping for their super points for 9,000points, but we only had 7,000.

I'll give this post a few more days then if no results, will order from verasu.com.

can be viewed at .........

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=661

• Like 1

Yea, that might work, but would probably use up a lot of watts and give uneven results. I did find the same model that verasu.com has in the catalog at Rimping for their super points for 9,000points, but we only had 7,000.

I'll give this post a few more days then if no results, will order from verasu.com.

can be viewed at .........

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=661

If you find one be sure to let us know. For several Years now I have considered bringing one back with me when I travel for a visit in North America. I have a large suitcase.

Edit

I just looked at the one on the web site you gave. It does not say anything about meat. I would be wanting one to make Jerky and am not sure if the temperature for fruit and veggies would be high enough.

Edited by hellodolly

I have the one from verasu and have successfully made beef jerky so temp is not a problem. I've not used it for a while but I was always impressed once I'd put the effort in.

I also made banana chips but couldn't resist eating them before they dried fully. Yum yum.

I intend to dry some tomatoes at some point in order to have a cheap plentiful supply of sundried tomatoes for breads and things.

I have the one from verasu and have successfully made beef jerky so temp is not a problem. I've not used it for a while but I was always impressed once I'd put the effort in.

I also made banana chips but couldn't resist eating them before they dried fully. Yum yum.

I intend to dry some tomatoes at some point in order to have a cheap plentiful supply of sundried tomatoes for breads and things.

Great to finally hear a user's review on the ABC model. BTW.....they wouldn't be sun dried if done in the dehydrator.

My intention for it is dried tomatoes, fruit, herbs and maybe some jerky. Assume that it would do jerky, as it has 3 temps and a timer control.

Just a heads up. Sure you can dry meat even at lower temps but bacteria often will grow and that will limit its stable (shelf) life and drag your immune system down with each bite.

Dried meat with bacteria is basically road kill.

Thailand is a humid place also. Ever wonder about some of those chunks of meat you see drying at markets like Tanin? I don't think their technique is so safety or health conscious.

Use some technique like cutting small thin strips and using salt or brine to drive out moisture and high enough temp.

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Making_Safe%20Jerky_in_a%20Home_Dehydrator3.pdf

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Yok just off Super Highway opposite side to Big C Extra have one like that.

A bit plasticky,but worth taking a look if interested.

http://www.yokinter.com/

Thanks Robbo, just picked the same model up at Yok for 3,700......Verasu was 3,990+ shipping. Yok also had a large industrial gas model almost as big as a volkswagon for 36,000, but a bit too big for home use.

Looking forward to trying it out on some cherry tomatoes, as the large roma tomatoes are hard to find ripe and my mind is reeling with the other possibilities of fruit and veges to dry [on a rainy day].