Thai Police prepare for possible major protest or riots over amnesty bill

webfact

Wow, i didn't realize the whole of Bangkok was closed.

Somebody has been reading The Nation( and believing it)

They think that closing down a fee shoppinging centers and hotels is " the entire city"

Yet when you bring up the terrorists that commandeered an internationàl airport they dismiss it.

There was a world of difference between the Airport bloodless sit in by the Yellow Shirts, and the Bloody violence and commandeering a City and Burning Government Buildings in various parts of Thailand,crimes committed by the Red Shirt Mob. You may believe it was of no consequence that several large companies and Vendors lost their livelihood,because of the arson and disruption,but not many would agree with you.

The yellow occupoation of the airports was less destructive but in some ways more poisonous because it set a precedent that street mobs could dictate to elected governments.If one sows the hurricane, one tends to reap the whirlwind.The "very educate" proto fascists in the PAD set the trend and the reds followed their example.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And we still have the stupidity of red supporters calling everything that does not support the reds or the govt yellow.

Cant you get it through your thick heads that yellow has been dead for many years.

Where are all the yellow shirts at any of the anti Govt or Democrats rallies now?

Oh you go to a rally and someone will no doubt be wearing yellow but then you walk down any street and you will see the same, it is just what they happen to be wearing and not a political statement

Someone said they went to a yellow rally but forgot to mention it was in 2006 or 7.

Those who are coming out against this Govt now are doing so for valid reasons and if their reasons differ from one lot to the next, so what, this Govt has made a lot of people very unhappy for a variety of reasons and is well on the way to completely stuffing up the country.

With all the preparations being made and the millions it must be costing if some protesters do turn up then no matter how peaceful and quiet they are the cops, reds or someone else paid to do so will have to start trouble to try to justify the preparation and expense.

As in "See we told you so we knew there would be violence"

All that the preparations are doing is showing that the Govt is scared of what the people can do and that they know that there is major opposition to their amnesty bills which at one time were called reconciliation, but now that pretense has been dropped, although they still insist that it has nothing to do with getting their hero, paymaster and real PM back free.

Should the bill be passed along with the funding bills then that pretense will go also.

You reds can never get past statements like : Thaksin thinks PT acts" and "Democracy is not my aim"

You say

"Cant you get it through your thick heads that yellow has been dead for many years."

If they could they would be to smart to be a red shirt any more.

Can't you get it through your thick heads that a poster, with an opposing opinion, might not be a red shirt.

There are a number of posters that have serious concerns about the government. But, they also have legitimate concerns about the opposition.

Rabid arguments about what you've read are not solving any problems. But, maybe a little critical thinking, with rational discussions, could help us make more sense out of this mess.

Edited by rijb

Pffffff ... You guys are still not tired?

Some of you are really obsessed. It's not your country, relax !

A bit of reconciliation would not hurt anyone.

Uhm, of course you might have nothing to moan about anymore... Your life would be even emptier :)

They think that closing down a fee shoppinging centers and hotels is " the entire city"

Yet when you bring up the terrorists that commandeered an internationàl airport they dismiss it.

There was a world of difference between the Airport bloodless sit in by the Yellow Shirts, and the Bloody violence and commandeering a City and Burning Government Buildings in various parts of Thailand,crimes committed by the Red Shirt Mob. You may believe it was of no consequence that several large companies and Vendors lost their livelihood,because of the arson and disruption,but not many would agree with you.

The yellow occupoation of the airports was less destructive but in some ways more poisonous because it set a precedent that street mobs could dictate to elected governments.If one sows the hurricane, one tends to reap the whirlwind.The "very educate" proto fascists in the PAD set the trend and the reds followed their example.

That may be on the borderline of having a grain of Subjective truth,but does nothing to Absolve the Red Shirts,and however much whitewashing is done,the facts will always be there to haunt them! and like Thaksin their Master,will never really be trusted,but merely a suitable financial arrangement,which will eventually run it's course.

Are you going the 5 year old kid's excuse of " ... but they did it first"??

Uhm, of course you might have nothing to moan about anymore... Your life would be even emptier smile.png

A bit of reconciliation would be fantastic. Unfortunately there's no sign of it with the current government.

The truth is the precedent was a set a year earlier than the airport when hundreds of people were injured in the melee of red shirt violence in July 2007.

None of those red shirt leaders from then, or 2009, or 2010 have had their cases adjudicated and none are incarcerated.

The thugs in red shirt violence set the trend long before PAD and the airport (which, btw, didn't involve hundreds of people being injured).

That may be on the borderline of having a grain of Subjective truth

It doesn't, in terms of the timeline and precedence setting.

Even worse... it's inaccurate as to who did it first.

Uhm, of course you might have nothing to moan about anymore... Your life would be even emptier Posted Image

A bit of reconciliation would be fantastic. Unfortunately there's no sign of it with the current government.

It seems difficult indeed. The government is the only one speaking about reconciliation, while the "other" ones just make sure it does not happen, dream of more coups and more trouble.

At least the government tries :)

Sent from my iPhone...

Uhm, of course you might have nothing to moan about anymore... Your life would be even emptier Posted Image

They are the only ones speaking about it though...

Pity that the other side loves troubles and coups so much...

What a loss of time.

Sent from my iPhone...

Much as I think the country is sliding into a deep pit, I can't see the opposition mustering enough support to block the attempt to push through an amnesty. The level of apathy by the majority of the population towards anything political - even in Bangkok - is such that the upcoming amnesty bill is being followed more closely by foreigners on thaivisa's forum than by the general Thai public. That should say all that needs to be said about the unity of the opposition to the amnesty bill.

Sad, but true.

Agreed!!!! Lack of interest from the Thai is like the TAT .... Amazing Thailand!

whistling.gif To tell you the honest truth, I don't really care.

The one thing that makes me happy is that the Dollar/Baht rate is now above 31 Baht to a Dollar today and probably for a while .... and my monthly pension transfer is due very soon.

So I am looking at another least 3000 Baht or so this month over last month or especially the transfer in June which was at a rate of less than 30 Baht per Dollar.

Political instability does have it's advantages after all.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

It seems difficult indeed. The government is the only one speaking about reconciliation, while the "other" ones just make sure it does not happen, dream of more coups and more trouble.

Sent from my iPhone...

What the government is speaking about is not "reconciliation". They're trying to call it that, but what they're actually doing is not even close.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The red posters may not have noticed but the bills coming up before the house are no longer about reconciliation but about amnesty.

That is forgiving crimes previously committed.

And incidentally the bills appear to now say that it will no longer be a crime to burn down a Government building.

That, if the amnesty bills are passed will become a political expression.

• Like 1

I have no sympathy or strong feeling towards either side of the political spectrum.

Politics in Thailand is a complete disaster and has constantly held development back during the 16 years I've lived here.

In general the people are nice here, but their political system is a a complete shambles.

Oh well ... mai pen rai.

If Thaksin can get this bill passed, it will certainly show his stranglehold on the country is complete. Clearly the only solution is a coup, I suspect interesting days are ahead.....

I think so. I met a connected amart retired cop a few years ago. He stated clearly that Thaksin would HAVE to respect the court decision. If not, he would NEVER be allowed back.

Chaos reigns.

So you think that the democratic right to assembly and protest in peace and safety is poisonous and that people that do, are fascists? But rioting, looting, violent protest, arson ect is acceptable and justified. Remember a protest concludes when the demands of the protestors are met, like when the Dems agreed to the reds demand of an early election. However, the cream on the cake is your rational that 'monkey see monkey do' is a valid defence !

Edited by waza

Uhm, of course you might have nothing to moan about anymore... Your life would be even emptier smile.png

What a loss of time.

There has never been the slightest intention whatsoever by the Thaksin forces to apply even the merest scintilla of reconciliation. It has always been two-faced. A bit like the above contribution really.

• Like 1

What a loss of time.

Sent from my iPhone...

Another Johnny-come-lately on a mission

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

DiNiro, on 30 Jul 2013 - 12:24, said:

Sounds familiar

No . . . not familiar . . . the Police were suspiciously absent/lethargic back in 2010. It was mostly left to the Army to come in and try to sort the problems that could have been nipped in the bud long before if the Police had done their job properly back then.

When the yellows riot, the police are called in and shoot tear gas.

When the reds riot the army is called in and shoot machine guns.

Civil war right around the corner folks.

They don't allow yellow shirts to protest; only red shirts (thanks to the police as well).

DiNiro is either living out of the country and not keeping up with the current events or just not keeping up and living in the past.

He is obviously a red shirt. When was the last time the yellow shirts had a riot. Are they even around any more. This government is so corrupt and negligent of their duties that many anti government groups are turning up. The difference is they are peaceful while the red shirts with the blessing of the police try to disrupt them. They throw rocks nuts and bolts and any thing at hand at the peaceful demonstrators and try to shout them down.

• Like 2

What a loss of time.

Sent from my iPhone...

Another Johnny-come-lately on a mission

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another Johnny-come-lately know nothing on a mission

Uhm, of course you might have nothing to moan about anymore... Your life would be even emptier :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but as far as I am concerned, I live here, I work here, I've made my life and home here, and I pay FAR more taxes than 95% of the Thai's here, so to me I have a big stake on what goes on here.

Your comments fly very close to the "if you don't like it, leave" brigade who either are too ignorant to see or care what happens here or live in some quaint little village up-country in their own little worlds.

• Like 1

I can't speak for anyone else, but as far as I am concerned, I live here, I work here, I've made my life and home here, and I pay FAR more taxes than 95% of the Thai's here, so to me I have a big stake on what goes on here.

Your comments fly very close to the "if you don't like it, leave" brigade who either are too ignorant to see or care what happens here or live in some quaint little village up-country in their own little worlds.

Whatever...

I still think you (and the other TV politics' "specialists") should relax a bit. It's still not your country and whatever you think or write is not going to change anything. Your opinion does not count at all. You have zero influence. Zero.

It is probably very frustrating for some of you, but this is the way it is. And you know it.

I see always the same names systematically appear on these political threads.

I just have a hard time understanding some TV members' obsession for this subject and wonder if you have still time for your work or simply to enjoy life... Do you enjoy life? Or is anger and frustration consuming you to the point you need to stick to this forum and express your feelings here?

Reconciliation would not change anything at all in your personal life or in your work. Except that you would be able to use the time spent on these threads for something better. Funnier too.

Your nerves and your mood might well feel a difference...

With reconciliation you might even end up happier, who knows :)

But you need to relax first :)

Whatever...

I still think you (and the other TV politics' "specialists") should relax a bit. It's still not your country and whatever you think or write is not going to change anything. Your opinion does not count at all. You have zero influence. Zero.

It is probably very frustrating for some of you, but this is the way it is. And you know it.

I just have a hard time understanding some TV members' obsession for this subject and wonder if you have still time for your work or simply to enjoy life... Do you enjoy life? Or is anger and frustration consuming you to the point you need to stick to this forum and express your feelings here?

Reconciliation would not change anything at all in your personal life or in your work. Except that you would be able to use the time spent on these threads for something better. Funnier too.

With reconciliation you might even end up happier, who knows smile.png

But you need to relax first smile.png

The doctor is in.

Yellows are dead?

Yellow is code word for the invisible hand and supporters. Wealthy Thais and army generals that have pillaged the country for decades.

Unfortunately for them, they are a minority.

Why don't they just field a candidate and honer the outcome of the election I wonder?

How about PTP honor the outcome of the last election by not having an unelected criminal dictating policy?

Yingluk is the PM. Does it matter who she consults?

That's the beauty of a democracy.

The people can decide at the next election if they are pleased.

Democracy, yes.. socialism, no.

Whatever...

With reconciliation you might even end up happier, who knows smile.png

But you need to relax first smile.png

As soon as you use "whatever" as an opening statement, you immediately lose the argument and your credibility.

I do agree with "some" of your statements . . . but I'm not angry, bitter, frustrated, obsessed, my nerves and mood are also fine, I am reasonably relaxed and I have a very good, reasonably happy life here . . . I do like to express my thoughts however.

• Like 2

Sent from my iPhone...

What turns people off is that Yingluck is obviously doing this in an attempt to keep people off the streets. She drips with insincerity.

They set the precedent for lawless confrontation with an elected government and they are meant to be the responsible civilised educated people not the ignorant peasants.

• Like 1