Old Thailand/Chiang Mai picture/gallery displays

FTB

Have a couple friends visitng from abroad and wanted to take them to some interesting sites outside of the obvious. A friend recommended Boonserm Satrabaapa's display of old Chiang Mai pictures that was a few doors North of the Dukes restaraunt near the Narawat bridge. Sadly I found out today that it is no longer open and no forwarding information available. Are there any other displays/galleries/museums that depict old Siam well in the Chiang Mai area?

Also feel free to chime in with other cultural recommendations.

Cheers.

re

feel free to chime in with other cultural recommendations.

the building directly behind the 3 kings statues is a museum off lanna culture or something like that ?

and the building directly in front of them

( across the road ) is a folk museum smile.png

from the moat go past the un irish to the traffic lights and the building on the left corner is a museum of something ?

and a three minite walk will take you to the other two smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-98824700-1375353843_thumb.j

post-42592-0-89893700-1375353890_thumb.j

In Wat Phra Singh in the back where the small ornate temple building is there is a building to the right of it that has a display of photos of old CM...

Olso in the Mae Rim district there is an old house open to the public that was the home of one of King Rama wives (it's behind the Police Station just off the highway)... It has old photos on the wall - The whole place is I great time capsule right down the the front porch that can accommodate Elaphants!... If you go there check out the Wat that you can see to the West just across the khlong... Awesome Naggas at the entry...

The Chiang Mai City Arts & Cultural Centre has many old photos and other things on display that may be of interest to you and your friends.

It is located in the old Sala Glahng [Town Hall] near the Three Kings Monument.

It has been years since I was there and yes they do have a great display.

The down side was I did not have a flash lite.

Also the p;d old house next to the River Market built in the 1800s Middle of them ai think.

To get into them I had heard you had to go to the manager of the Anahsan market in the Night Bazaar. The one close to Pantip on the other side of the road with Omalies in it.

Sorry about the Spelling I did manage to correct one word.smile.png

Edited by hellodolly

In Wat Phra Singh in the back where the small ornate temple building is there is a building to the right of it that has a display of photos of old CM...

Olso in the Mae Rim district there is an old house open to the public that was the home of one of King Rama wives (it's behind the Police Station just off the highway)... It has old photos on the wall - The whole place is I great time capsule right down the the front porch that can accommodate Elaphants!... If you go there check out the Wat that you can see to the West just across the khlong... Awesome Naggas at the entry...

The Palace of Princess Dara Rasamee and Wat Pha Dara Pirom

http://my-lanna.blogspot.com/2011/03/palace-of-princess-dara-rasamee.html

post-23568-0-09938000-1375385150_thumb.j

post-23568-0-81233300-1375385243_thumb.j

Edited by sfokevin

Good little tidbit about the pics in the back of Wat Phra Singh. I've been there twice and not seen them. Thank you.

Interestingly the Wat you mention in Mae Rim as one of the wives temples is Wat Dara Prium and was on my list of things to see. However I do not know where her old house is in Mae Rim, and that looks an interesting visit also.

Again thank you everyone for the tips

The Chiang Mai City Arts & Cultural Centre has many old photos and other things on display that may be of interest to you and your friends.

I went for the first time a few weeks ago with your previous warning about dimness in mind. I meant to take a small flashlight, but forgot it. In the event it wasn't needed. The labels were well-lit enough to read.

Maybe they had read your criticism and acted upon it. If so, it would mean that Thai Visa has an influence we didn't fully appreciate before.

Good little tidbit about the pics in the back of Wat Phra Singh. I've been there twice and not seen them. Thank you.

Interestingly the Wat you mention in Mae Rim as one of the wives temples is Wat Dara Prium and was on my list of things to see. However I do not know where her old house is in Mae Rim, and that looks an interesting visit also.

Again thank you everyone for the tips

Look at the Google Sceen Shot... The Yellow pin is the Wat... I have circled the House is circled in red the house and I have put arrows on the two ways in... When coming up 107 look for the police station on the left - Turn just before it - Where I have placed the red arrow just off of 107

Here is a Google Map link:

https://maps.google.ch/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=de&msa=0&msid=208756340057695061053.00046cf45788708ed9641&ll=18.91465,98.943558&spn=0.040842,0.074759&t=h&z=14

post-23568-0-60679700-1375459614_thumb.p

Edited by sfokevin

I went for the first time a few weeks ago with your previous warning about dimness in mind. I meant to take a small flashlight, but forgot it. In the event it wasn't needed. The labels were well-lit enough to read.

Maybe they had read your criticism and acted upon it. If so, it would mean that Thai Visa has an influence we didn't fully appreciate before.

Well it was four years ago when I was there. I guess lots of time to upgrade.

Was there many people in there?

Well it was four years ago when I was there. I guess lots of time to upgrade.

Was there many people in there?

Not too many, but I went on a weekday. On weekends it would probably be more crowded. But as you know, it is a big building and can accommodate a lot of people.

If you ever run out of things to see in Chiang Mai, and are heading south, there is an interesting old Lanna house in Lampang. Supposedly built on a 1000 teak piles, and interesting old gear inside the house, open to the public.

post-111567-0-35569800-1375585090_thumb.

post-111567-0-36086400-1375585109_thumb.

• Like 1