Replace Bearings in Small Wheel

angrybird

My child has an expensive toy, and one of the wheels, the only one with ball bearings,needs them replaced.

The OD is about 22mm an ID 8mm

I would like to find a workshop that can source the bearings (2) and replace them.

Cost is not a problem

Does anyone have any recommendations please. ?

Thank You

Got nothing for you in Pattaya, but in BKK, I'd go to Chinatown.

One question may help zero in on an answer: Is this a high speed, high quality bearing, or can it just be a normal, production bearing. If you need a close tolerance (ABEC 5 or better) bearing, that rules out most local shops I know.

My suggestion is to look for a hobby shop, but again, I'm no help in Pattaya.

Got nothing for you in Pattaya, but in BKK, I'd go to Chinatown.

One question may help zero in on an answer: Is this a high speed, high quality bearing, or can it just be a normal, production bearing. If you need a close tolerance (ABEC 5 or better) bearing, that rules out most local shops I know.

My suggestion is to look for a hobby shop, but again, I'm no help in Pattaya.

Not High speed, 10 km/hour with a 100 mm dia wheel. some rpm calcs for someone.

There is a hobby shop on Second Rd that might help (sorry can't remember the name). It is just south of the intesecton of South Rd and Second Rd on the beach side. They carry a large assortment of R/C vehicles and have a lot of spare parts. Might find what you need there.

I think the bearing you are looking for is a 608, 8id x 22od x 7w.

Most ball bearings have reference number on the side, this is all you need to get replacement and if tolerances are not critical then this information should suffice for obtaining replacements.

Again you should not need to get bearing by the same manufacturer as the reference numbers are industrial standards so all bearing with the same number comply to the same sizes and tolerances.

Also I would assume the bearing has seals (side plates) to keep the grease in, they can be steel plate or rubberized steel plate, normally 2 but sometimes only 1, probably rubber seals are best as they to a degree will keep out dirt and water, but water will still get if they are immersed and this in not good for the bearings.

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Measuring_Bearings-15-a

If you know anywhere selling skateboards the may well sell this size bearings too.

Went to EBay and checked and 8 x 22 x 7 is the standard for roller hockey wheels.

That should make them easier to find.

Careful, though, because some of them seem to be 7mm instead of 8mm ID.

For more info, go to EBay and search "bearing 8 x 22 x 7"

(I used to import bearings for fishing reels, but never for skates- market too crowded.)

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...

Headed out to the Japanese engine shop, don't think I found it, but tiny shop with monster SKF sign on the roof had them at 120 baht, and also drew an excellent map to a place nearby. Job done in 5 minutes. charge 20 Baht..I gave him Baht100.

My budget was well over a 1000 baht, before buying a new unit.

So he's on the road again. Thanks again.

NB. whatever I do cannot upload an avi file ??

• 2 weeks later...