Mazda RX8 Mazda speed turbo engine mechanical problems

I have recently purchased the above car and are experiencing problems engaging gears on starting up the car, to engage gears I have to turn off the engine, engage gear then start, when cranking over the engine the clutch does not fully disengage, but after driving for a number of kilometers and the engine hot there is then no trouble engaging gears or with the gearbox.

The paddle shift system does not operate, maybe disconected, or no longer in use due to the engine change ? .

Will it be the original gearbox since the engine has been changed ?.

If the clutch needs to be replaced, can this be done without removel of the engine ?.

Any constructive help or information regarding this car as it now does not have the rotary engine, would be gratefully received.

Regards Tom

Ive come across this before, perhaps the engine changers left out the spacer plate between box and engine [if it has one?] it certainly sounds like the spigot shaft is to long and dragging in its flywheel housing, heat expansion frees this off,

To prove this, loosen off all box to engine bolts 1 turn and try, you will know imediatly what the problem is if it works as normal, dont drive it like this though!!

Whatever way you look at it, 1 or the other has to come out, inspect the end of the spigot shaft, if its shiny, grind a few mm off, inspect the clutch and flywheel for blue hotspots, renew as ness..

Yes, a resonable question BSJ,

Whats happenning is when op puts the car in gear and depresses the clutch then starts the engine, the gearbox is not spinning, as it would in neutral due to the tight-fit spigot shaft,making gear selection difficult.

The starter will overcome the drag of a 15mm spigot shaft quite easily,

Probably, not likely from "new" but I got yer meaning, shame tho if that's the case, to me wouldn't even be worth owning, kinda like a Ferrari or Lambo replica...Kinda misses the point...

Edited by WarpSpeed