Kirsty Jones unsolved Thailand murder: New hope for British detectives

webfact

Detectives' new hope to finally catch killer of backpacker brutally murdered in Thailand 13 years ago
Kirsty Jones was raped and strangled at a guesthouse in Thailand in 2000
Killer of 23-year-old, who died in Chiang Mai, has never been found
British detectives given access to case files by Thai authorities for first time
Officers and Kirsty's family are hopeful the case can finally be solved

By ANNA EDWARDS

kj.jpg
Kirsty Jones, file photo

LONDON: -- British detectives are hoping to finally catch the killer of a young woman brutally murdered in Thailand 13 years ago after they were given full access to the case files for the first time.

Kirsty Jones, 23, was raped and strangled at a guesthouse in northern Thailand in 2000 while enjoying a gap year after university.

After 13 years her killer has never been brought to justice - and Kirsty's desperate family feared the trail had gone cold.

But the British detective investigating the murder said he is 'very optimistic' the case can be solved after being given full access to all files for the first time by the Thai authorities.

'The DSI are in the process of reinvestigating this inquiry and we are keen to support and where possible, assist the Thai authorities.

'They have done a considerable amount of work, we've seen proof of that during the visit to Thailand last year.'
Kirsty's battling mum Sue Jones said the new developments have provided a boost to the family to 'keep forging on' in their fight for justice.

Farmer's daughter Kirsty grew up in the village of Tredomen, near Brecon, Mid Wales.

But she dreamed of seeing the world and had decided from the age of 14 that she had wanted to take a gap year before going on to university.

In 1996 when she set off for Australia and stopped off in Thailand on her way home.

After a safe and successful trip, the bright A-level student had fallen in love with travelling.

She completed an English and media studies degree at Liverpool University in 1999 - then spent a year doing odd jobs to fund her next big trip.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389699/Kirsty-Jones-unsolved-Thailand-murder-new-hope-British-detectives-given-access-case-files.html

-- Daily Mail 2013-08-13

what do you expect from a country that arrests people for 'liking ' things on facebook , justice !!! justice is to the thai legal system what smiles are to Thai social system , a convenient veneer ,that more time than not means little.or nothing .

Great Post

• Like 1

Some people go out of their way to hold on to the pain. I too have lost a son to death and it took a long time to loose the pain but I did nothing to hold on to it. Even at that tears would come to my eyes at times when I thought of him after 7 years.

13 years the killer could be dead by now or perhaps doing a life time sentence.

There comes a time in are lives when we much as we dislike it have to let go of the past and build are own future.

Not everyone is made the same "fortunately"

Some people go out of their way to hold on to the pain have lost a son to death and it took a long time to loose the pain but I did nothing to hold on to it. Even at that tears would come to my eyes at times when I thought of him after 7 years.

There comes a time in are lives when we much as we dislike it have to let go of the past and build are own future.

Truth is if I remember correctly, that the police know who the killer is, but due to protection, that man could not be charged.. Maybe things have changed..! Maybe pigs will fly !

Pigs will fly and Thai's will keep on killing and raping western girls who travel alone sad.png

British detective should ask the Saudi's about stonewalling. Meanwhile, a little more negative publicity mileage eeked out of this shameful incident that sticks to Thailand's 'Land of Smiles' image like a piece of dog poo on your show. Chalk that up as another own goal from our finest BIB.

Some people go out of their way to hold on to the pain. I too have lost a son to death and it took a long time to loose the pain but I did nothing to hold on to it. Even at that tears would come to my eyes at times when I thought of him after 7 years.

Was your son brutally murdered and the perpetrator helped to escape justice?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Not everyone is made the same "fortunately"

I agree. I can not imagine 13 years of pain.

Is't the the case were the Thai police tried to frame an English lad, by altering the DNA ?.

no the police tried to frame a hilltribe tourguide. They kidnapped the poor guy and tried to set him up - but he went public. They also treated several foreigners still as suspects when it was already established that the DNA of the murderer identified him as an Asian male.

• Like 1

There is no universal concept of justice in the same way that there is no universal morality.

The values of Thai culture create the Thai view of justice.

Saving face means little to Westerners looking for justice, but in Thailand it means a huge amount.

Whether the passing of 13 years makes the achievement of Western justice any easier now than in 2000 is questionable.

Truer words have never been spoken, the pain is always there but after time one learns to wear it like a part of ones dress.. except when you catch it in the mirror and then it is as if it was yesterday

Was your son brutally murdered and the perpetrator helped to escape justice?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No I had nothing to buffer the loss.