US sets shrimp duties on five countries, spares Thailand, Indonesia

webfact

U.S. sets shrimp duties on five countries, spares Thailand, Indonesia
Doug Palmer
Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Commerce Department on Tuesday set final duties on billions of dollars of shrimp from four Asian countries and Ecuador to offset foreign government subsidies, but spared major suppliers Thailand and Indonesia from the import tax.

The Coalition of Shrimp Industries, representing shrimp fishermen and processors in several southern U.S. states, filed a petition last year asking the federal government for import relief. The group said it was satisfied with the decision, despite the exclusion of two big exporters.

The seven countries named in the case - Thailand, Indonesia, India, Ecuador, Vietnam, Malaysia and China - exported close to $3.4 billion worth of shrimp to the United States in 2012, making it one of the biggest cases in the department's history.

That included $1.1 billion from Thailand, $634 million from Indonesia, $551 million from India, $500 million from Ecuador, $426 million from Vietnam, $142 million from Malaysia and $102 million from China.

Full story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-usa-shrimp-duties-20130813,0,6733053.story

-- Chicago Tribune 2013-08-14

They don't need to charge duties on countries they've already installed their own globalist puppet leaders in via staged 'coloured revolutions.' That would be like taxing themselves.

• Like 1

They spared Thailand? I think they should put 200% tax on thai rice and thai shrimps.

That is the tax Thailand puts on cars and motorcycles from USA, Europe, Japan, e.t.c.. Even if you try to import your own car or motorcycle, they will still rob you.

Fight fire with fire.

And electronics, wine, other food stuffs, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 2

I remember when Japan started importing motorcycles to the US. They were subsidizing them, making them too cheap for Harley and others to compete. The US put a 25% tariff on the Japanese bikes until Japan quit the dumping, and then the US removed the tariffs.

A lot of Toyotas including the Camry and the big pickup, and Honda Accords and Civics are made in the US for the US market.

China and Thailand should indeed be taught a lesson. Because they put such high tariffs on things imported into there, the US should put an equal tariff on things they export to the US. It would help the government income, and people would be more inclined to buy things made in the US or elsewhere.

• Like 2

They spared Thailand? I think they should put 200% tax on thai rice and thai shrimps.

That is the tax Thailand puts on cars and motorcycles from USA, Europe, Japan, e.t.c.. Even if you try to import your own car or motorcycle, they will still rob you.

Fight fire with fire.

Not to mention reciprocating the right to own/or not to own land, and your own business. It would be the fastest way to modernize the Thai mentality as regards these taxes and rights.

If I remember correctly about a decade ago the US outlawed Thai shrimp imports totally, classifying them as hazardous material due to the heavy metal and other chemicals they contained. White shrimp crashed in price, I think we were buying them for about 120B/kilo of good sized prawns.

• Like 2

Fight fire with fire.

Not to mention reciprocating the right to own/or not to own land, and your own business. It would be the fastest way to modernize the Thai mentality as regards these taxes and rights.

If I remember correctly about a decade ago the US outlawed Thai shrimp imports totally, classifying them as hazardous material due to the heavy metal and other chemicals they contained. White shrimp crashed in price, I think we were buying them for about 120B/kilo of good sized prawns.

What a blast it would be if all nations across the world suddenly denied all thai nationals to own land and their own business in other countries.

Can you imagine the outrage from the thai government? laugh.png

Edited by ricku

Fight fire with fire.

What a blast it would be if all nations across the world suddenly denied all thai nationals to own land and their own business in other countries.

Can you imaging the outrage from foreigners living in Thailand when the Thai government, in retribution, cancels or declines to provide visas and extentions for nationals from those countries.

Edited by simple1

Can you imaging the outrage from foreigners living in Thailand when the Thai government, in retribution, cancels or declines to provide visas and extentions for nationals from those countries.

No I can't, because then Thailand would be kicking themselves in their financial nuts, since they would quickly loose their status as a foreigner friendly tourist and expat destination.

I think it is more likely that Thailand would get the point and change their silly laws on foreign ownership of land and business.

But hey, it is Thailand we are talking about here. You might be right.

Edited by ricku

Fight fire with fire.

Reminds me of the fuss some Thais made about not being able to cash a check from a Thai bank in the US. Too funny, especially if you have ever tried to cash a check from a foreign bank here! 5555

Read it carefully. It's about dumping. Governments subsidizing, allowing prices to be low, and the tariffs are based on the amount of subsidy.

The US has long done this.

I remember when Japan started importing motorcycles to the US. They were subsidizing them, making them too cheap for Harley and others to compete. The US put a 25% tariff on the Japanese bikes until Japan quit the dumping, and then the US removed the tariffs.

A lot of Toyotas including the Camry and the big pickup, and Honda Accords and Civics are made in the US for the US market.

China and Thailand should indeed be taught a lesson. Because they put such high tariffs on things imported into there, the US should put an equal tariff on things they export to the US. It would help the government income, and people would be more inclined to buy things made in the US or elsewhere.

This is absolute crap. All the US industry lobbies (Coalition of Shrimp Industries, in this case) have to do is claim (not prove) there is dumping and paid of protectionist politicians are only to happy to apply protectionist tariffs. It is then up to the foreign industries or governments to fight these claims. It costs millions of dollars and takes years. In the meantime the taxes are collected. These third world countries do not have the resources or organization to fight effectively. If they win the US industry lobby simply amends the complaint and refiles. The process continues. In your example of Japan cars and bikes the claim was absolutely bogus and the Japanese fought back not being a third world country. To protect an inefficient and poorly designed car and bike industry the US negotiated a import quota that allowed the US car industry to save face and protect them. Just to be clear dumping is, selling a product in another country for less than it costs to produce in your country. True examples are rice in Thailand and corn, in the US that gets billions in subsidies.That subsidizes the hog and cattle industry among others. To suggest that the Japanese were selling cars and bikes in the US at a loss and were subsidized by the Japanese

government is ludicrous.What you remember is the automobile industry lobby line of they are dumping products. Not the reality of we build crap and the American public is willing to pay a premium price for a better engineered, higher quality vehicle from Japan.

Agreed. It seems like a no-brainer, except that it isn't only Chinese companies responsible for importing Chinese goods into the U.S.

The Walmarts and Kmarts of the world would stand to lose a lot of profit if tariffs were placed on the their Chinese-made merchandise. Thus, I'm sure the corporate lobbyists are the ones to blame for this lack of action by the U.S. Government. It's truly a shame, because if such tariffs were levied, American small businesses would have a fighting chance to compete. But then, in the United States Corporations of America, such acts on behalf of the average citizen are near impossible to come by.

The tariffs are indeed justified, given the deplorable standards found throughout Asia: tariffs would act as sin taxes on corporations for importing goods from factories with substandard environmental and labor practices. (Over time, such tariffs might reverse the damage outsourcing did, too).

Can you imagine the outrage when Thai phu yais cannot visit their ill gotten money.