Minimum budget ?

Lucky420

Hello ,

im thinking to see culture, food, beaches in phuket for a month.

What would be minimum budget there for amonth ?

I have read different kinds of reviews.

Can my minimum budget be there 10000 baht ? icluding all

How long is a piece of string!! If you are saying can you only spend 10k in one month on drink etc yes it's possible!

If you sleep on the beach, build a campfire, catch your own fish and cook it, you can blow the rest of your budget on rice to serve it with.

If it's your first time in Thailand, it would be a great start as a daily budget.

Divided by 30 days, that would give you 333.33 Baht per day. A cheap room would be about 500 B a day (I doubt you will find much cheaper). So, no you need more money. 15,000 for a room + your daily expenses.

I found the cheapest 4500 baht a month , but its a 8 dorm mixed...

i hostel : http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/phuket/i_hostel.html?asq=bs17wTmKLORqTfZUfjFABtzzzG0hlDzmlPpXrh2DFi%2fs1RTxxufFy1T7oqLMdvfyhcEAojUvYlspmisH6ucoiOe%2bZKlrqxyDIk5v1yMrTQSoB75W29mVpaJM2GS4Z5d0CAoKKOf8NQ5nqG9VFLFGLic%2fbm73DWnX70ItYrDNZPXhHa55rBwKE0%2fukA%2biQ%2fKvHAR5iE2hephWdxG5pcuoayg6xx%2boSVzKraEyIYJvC9aDKWhTOfkUrL8C8nX04ftB&tyra=1|8

That would leave me with 5500 on food.

How much would you think would be daily for food ?

The only "Thai culture" you will see on Phuket is everyone trying to get their hands on your 10,000 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

What would you recomend then ? smile.png

Well, I see you have put forward a hostel with dorm accommodation in Phuket Town. No problem with that, but the next thing you must consider is transport. How will you get from Phuket Town to anywhere? If you rent a motor scooter, and I advise against that if you are not an experiencd rider in this region, that will be about 3000 baht a month. So, for accommodation and transport you are down 7500 baht out of your 10,000 baht. This leaves you with 2500 baht for everything else, including fuel for the bike.

Edited by NamKangMan

It could be done. 4500 for a dorm room. About 180 Baht a day for food. Eat off the street carts twice a day and wash it down with one large Chang would blow that. You need transport, so Baht bus or walk everywhere. Bus has limited stops.

Where are you coming from?

Edited by Shot

There are rooms (1,5 room, kitchenette, toilet ) for about 3000 baht per month, but not likely to be close to the beaches.

3000 baht/month for motorbike. 1500B for gasoline. 2 meals per day 35B each which is 2100B/month.

3000+3000+1500+2100=9600. That leaves 400B per month for culture, shopping and fun :)

The upside is that you'll not have hangover during your stay.

Ah, don't forget your insurance.

Easy answer NO you can't

I would agree with that. 10,000 baht for a month's stay, see culture, beaches, and enjoy life. I think not. You have covered shared accommodation and you might cover cheap Thai cart food in the 10 grand. But not transport and any sort of entertainment.

The only "Thai culture" you will see on Phuket is everyone trying to get their hands on your 10,000 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

What would you recomend then ? smile.png

Well, I see you have put forward a hostel with dorm accommodation in Phuket Town. No problem with that, but the next thing you must consider is transport. How will you get from Phuket Town to anywhere? If you rent a motor scooter, and I advise against that if you are not an experiencd rider in this region, that will be about 3000 baht a month. So, for accommodation and transport you are down 7500 baht out of your 10,000 baht. This leaves you with 2500 baht for everything else, including fuel for the bike.

if i rent a motor scooter for half a month, its 1500. it takes 3 liters per 100km . 3L x 15Days = 45L x 40Baht = 1800Baht

So with 3000baht half my month is with scooter. I can get that extra 3000b.

That leaves me again with 5500 / 30 = 183 bahts for food enough?

There are rooms (1,5 room, kitchenette, toilet ) for about 3000 baht per month, but not likely to be close to the beaches.

3000 baht/month for motorbike. 1500B for gasoline. 2 meals per day 35B each which is 2100B/month.

3000+3000+1500+2100=9600. That leaves 400B per month for culture, shopping and fun smile.png

The upside is that you'll not have hangover during your stay.

Ah, don't forget your insurance.

Thanks alot for that info :)

You can share the info about rooms :)

I'm pretty sure, you can forget about getting laid.laugh.png

People with tight budget have often good imagination and hands on attitude to solve many problems.

You can share the info about rooms smile.png

I think the only way is to look around and ask lower income workers where they live. You can ask from local 7-11 for example.

Some years ago I was paying, I think, 2600B for a month for an "apartment" while I was waiting for the construction to finnish.

Really? Don't bother coming here, or you may end up in a lot of trouble. You can not afford to stay here! Or pay your way out of a problem...

Can you give me heads up?

Then i know what is waiting for me there

Heads up, you don't have enough money to come here and have any fun. For one thing transportation is expensive or dangerous here. I hope you have travelers insurance! How do you plan on getting around? Where are you planning on staying? What town? But I'm sure my post and the others that have lived here for years won't deter you. Please let us know how it works out for you. Maybe you'll be lucky and won't have any problems. I've never really had any big problems, although the one I did was almost as much as your budget and that was about 8 years ago! Fortunately my budget was quite a bit higher than yours. Good luck! My advice is to stay away! You really can't afford it here...

I agree with Jimi007. Maybe you want to stay here on some sort of challenge low budget holiday. But why bother if you are going to have a miserable existence. For sure Thai people can live on this sort of budget. Maybe you can explain why you must holiday in Phuket for a month on 10,000 baht ?

I agree with Jimi007. Maybe you want to stay here on some sort of challenge low budget holiday. But why bother if you are going to have a miserable existence. For sure Thai people can live on this sort of budget. Maybe you can explain why you must holiday in Phuket for a month on 10,000 baht ?

I agree, not much of an vacation with that money. Double it and the life can be much more enjoyable.

It's also good to remember that Thai people are able to communicate way better here. They do learn best deals the way foreigners never can. Thais also have community, which means that every now and then people help each other.

The other part is that Thais go to work, which means that there is less opportunities to spend money. Workplace may provide food for the employees.

Then there is family thing. Two young people sharing the price of the room and partly transportation costs.

But then again. Let's assume someone wishes to come here as backpacker. One part of backpacking is the art of saving money. Sometimes going to extremes, like in this case would be. After the trip writing a book "How to survive in Phuket with 10.000B/month".. and make millions. Uh, maybe not, the people who would want it, do not really have the money to buy it :)

Living with 10.000B/month is theoretically possible, but practically not so much.

I agree, not much of an vacation with that money. Double it and the life can be much more enjoyable.

It's also good to remember that Thai people are able to communicate way better here. They do learn best deals the way foreigners never can. Thais also have community, which means that every now and then people help each other.

The other part is that Thais go to work, which means that there is less opportunities to spend money. Workplace may provide food for the employees.

Then there is family thing. Two young people sharing the price of the room and partly transportation costs.

But then again. Let's assume someone wishes to come here as backpacker. One part of backpacking is the art of saving money. Sometimes going to extremes, like in this case would be. After the trip writing a book "How to survive in Phuket with 10.000B/month".. and make millions. Uh, maybe not, the people who would want it, do not really have the money to buy it smile.png

Living with 10.000B/month is theoretically possible, but practically not so much.

Just do some quick math. A cheap place to stay is about 500 Baht a night around my area. That alone blows his budget! A motorbike is about 1,000 Baht a week. If you crash it, you're in jail if you can't pay or in the hospital and can't pay, they will hold your passport, unless you have a credit card or good travelers insurance. Food? Drink? Fun? Forget it!

Just do some quick math. A cheap place to stay is about 500 Baht a night around my area. That alone blows his budget! A motorbike is about 1,000 Baht a week. If you crash it, you're in jail if you can't pay or in the hospital and can't pay, they will hold your passport, unless you have a credit card or good travelers insurance. Food? Drink? Fun? Forget it!

I did the math earlier on the thread. Got 9600B/month for bare essentials.

I did not say it was reasonable way to spend vacation, but it's possibility.

Anyway I have a feeling that this thread is more about understanding how local, low income people are able to survive here on the island. Not about someone actually coming for 10.000B vacation. It does not really matter what is the case. It's nice to hear opinions and maybe learn how local people live here.

But who knows?

Is "including all" including the air ticket, too? While I can understand oilinki's calculation, it will not be much of a holiday. I'd propose a minimum budget of 25,000 not including air ticket. That might be a enjoyable vacation, but still a bit tight on budget.