Where can one buy Chinese teaware in CM?

Somnambulist

I've recently discovered pu'erh tea and become an avid drinker of it. Now I'd like to buy a proper gong <deleted> set. I happened to see a few sets at Yok on the Superhighway of all places but the gaiwans were too small and not to my taste. I've already tried the Celadon shop on Nimmaheiman St. and they have lots of beautiful tea sets but nothing for gong <deleted> tea making. What is gong <deleted> style, you ask? Here's a beautiful video of it:

http://yunnansourcing.com/

In China, pu'erh tea used to be popular among older people but now the younger generation are enjoying it too. In Thailand not many people know how to drink Chinese tea.

I just got back from China and they have some amazing Pu'er. To me the 12 years, and the 4 years Pu'er taste almost the same. I prefer the cheaper one as they are not as strongly fermented. I had eventually had to gave away the expensive Pu'er from China to an old lady. I personally only drink green tea or Oolong tea.

You can buy some Pu'er from Jia Thong Heng main branch near the Chedi hotel or at the Tea shop in JJ market has a lot of Pu'er. Make sure to rinse the tea in hot water first and at the first brew. Never leave the tea in hot water for more than 50sec to 1 mins or they will be bitter and have negative effects. (sorry for the lengthly reply as I don't have many people to talk to about tea!)

Edited by ARISTIDE

My mistake, I just realized that you were asking for the Kung <deleted> tea set not the tea! The Kung <deleted> tea is available at the tea shop in JJ market as well.

No, no worries. I appreciate the information. I will head down there and take a look. I have already ordered and recieved two cakes of pu'erh and have more on the way but I'm still using a tea mug as a gaiwan and a way too large glass teapot as a cha dai. Where in JJ is this store? I thought I'd been all through JJ but I don't remember a tea store.

I went to Monsoon today. It's right next to the new mini Rimping, across the street from the old JJ area. But it was closed with no sign of business hours. They carry some nice looking ceramic tea sets but not gong <deleted> style. They do have a nice tea maker by Sama Doyo, this one: http://yunnansourcing.com/en/samadoyo-easy-teapots-and-cups/2318-sama-easy-tea-cup-for-gong-<deleted>-tea-brewing-s-011b-360ml.html but they want 685 baht for it.

Then I went to Jia Tong Heng's tea shop. They have one brick of Pu'erh. I didn't recognize the brand. If I ever am truly desperate for a brick I'll consider it, but my conclusion is that online is the way to go for serious tea lovers.

online is the way to go for serious tea lovers.

Near the Three King monument there's a small tea stall in front of the shop houses near the famous Hunan chicken rice I don't know if they still have it but I saw some tea set there.

You're right there, I purchased some Chinese green tea from teaspring once and they are of good quality!

I also purchased a bit over thousand bath for my cast iron tea pot at Rimping long time ago and it is really good.

post-131333-0-69806600-1377513083_thumb.

Edited by ARISTIDE

I went to Monsoon today. It's right next to the new mini Rimping, across the street from the old JJ area. But it was closed with no sign of business hours. They carry some nice looking ceramic tea sets but not gong <deleted> style. They do have a nice tea maker by Sama Doyo, this one: http://yunnansourcing.com/en/samadoyo-easy-teapots-and-cups/2318-sama-easy-tea-cup-for-gong-<deleted>-tea-brewing-s-011b-360ml.html but they want 685 baht for it.

Then I went to Jia Tong Heng's tea shop. They have one brick of Pu'erh. I didn't recognize the brand. If I ever am truly desperate for a brick I'll consider it, but my conclusion is that online is the way to go for serious tea lovers.

So please, do you have the phone number for JiaTong Heng Tea Shop which sells tea?

I have not found any decent tea, qingcha or wulong, since I left Taiwan.

If I had known finding tea would be this difficult in Chiang Mai,

I still would have come,

But I would have brought the tea plants with me.

Now, please, where do I get some good wulong and most importantly just qingcha?

The other you mention here, that sounds like the rainy season, is overpriced for what you get.

Thank you.

I do not think Alibaba will help in this matter.

There's a Taiwanese restaurant(next to the Taiwanese fruit shop) in Moo baan Chiang Mai land that have imported Taiwanese Oolong tea. I think I know most of the Chinese and Japanese tea places in CM and BKK I can assure you that there aren't many and your best bet is to buy online.

So please, do you have the phone number for JiaTong Heng Tea Shop which sells tea?

I have not found any decent tea, qingcha or wulong, since I left Taiwan.

If I had known finding tea would be this difficult in Chiang Mai,

I still would have come,

But I would have brought the tea plants with me.

Now, please, where do I get some good wulong and most importantly just qingcha?

The other you mention here, that sounds like the rainy season, is overpriced for what you get.

Thank you.

I do not think Alibaba will help in this matter.

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The very large thin walled gaiwan cost me 100 baht. The clay teapot, 400. The actual brewing chamber is probably well under 150 ml, maybe 100. It had a sticker that said yixing but I just assume that was decorative, not informational lol. They are available in the back parking lot of the Rimping supermarket at Meechok Plaza. The seller is from somewhere in China, but not Yunnan, maybe a minority group because my wife couldn't make out what he was saying and she is Thai and understands a fair amount of Mandarin. The spout is slightly higher than the rim and the handle slightly lower, if that matters to you. When I indicated I wanted to buy the teapot, he looked worried and rustled around looking for another one but came up empty, as if to say there was something wrong with it so I almost didn't buy it, but for 400 baht you can't go wrong. It doesn't dribble.

post-42889-0-15339400-1382769958_thumb.j