Bangkok police to crack down on vendors selling laughing-gas balloons

webfact

CRACKDOWN
Laughing-gas balloons not so funny

30213469-01_big.gif
Tourists at Khao San Road, Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- The widespread use of illegal balloons containing laughing gas among tourists at entertainment venues has prompted police in Bangkok's Chanasongkram Police Station to crack down on vendors selling these balloons on Khao San Road.

Sale of balloons filled with nitrous oxide gas, also known as laughing gas, is illegal. However, vendors on khao san Road - Bangkok's famous tourist street - are still selling this balloon to tourists. Some of them have set up stands along the street, luring tourists to pay Bt100 to Bt150 for each piece. The cost of a balloon containing laughing gas is only Bt20.

"After we started arresting these balloon vendors in khao san Road, in the past few days, they have changed their tactics to sell these balloons," Police Lt-Colonel Pitiphan Krissadakorn na Ayuthaya of Chanasongkarm Police Station said.

Previously, the police in Chon Buri province's Pattaya district had also arrested the vendors for selling the laughing-gas balloons.

Police found that most of the vendors had hidden the gas containers under their pushcarts. Tourists must ask the vendor to make the laughing-gas balloon for them. The vendors spend about 15 minutes to inflate each balloon. "Vendors who illegally sell these balloons would face one-year jail and a fine of Bt10,000 as punishment," he said.

Tourists have been warned to not buy these balloons as the colourless and non-inflammable nitrous-oxide gas can cause severe symptoms for inhalers and some might even become unconscious if there is an overdose. Nitrous oxide is used in surgery and dentistry for its anaesthetic and analgesic effects.

Police Lt-Colonel Nathakon Kumsap, a deputy commander of Chanasongkram Police Station, said he would ask the Food and Drug Administration to give more details about the legal procedures against the wrongdoers as nitrous oxide is recognised as a forbidden substance, not a drug.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-26

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally, the police are getting serious about protecting the tourists from themselves.

Not sure if this has anything to do with protecting tourists from themselves but we all know some do need protecting from themselves. I the only concern they have regarding tourists is whether or not they have spent their last shackle before getting on their flight.

I think their main concern is the black market in this gas. Where are these street stalls getting this stuff from? Don't you have to be a registered/licenced medical practitioner to purchase this gas or can anyone walk into a medical supply company and buy this gas?

• Like 1

Lol, as usual an article (and responses) from people with no idea what they are talking about.

This stuff is available from any bulk foods store, what do you think whips your cream in your cappucino machines - food grade catridges, that are legally imported and safe for human consumption. I'm sure you can walk into a supermarket and buy boxes of the stuff without any hassle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger

Every container of pre whipped cream in your supermarket has the stuff in it.

Edited by MikeENZ
  • Like 1

Finally, the police are getting serious about protecting the tourists from themselves.

Not sure if this has anything to do with protecting tourists from themselves but we all know some do need protecting from themselves. I the only concern they have regarding tourists is whether or not they have spent their last shackle before getting on their flight.

I think their main concern is the black market in this gas. Where are these street stalls getting this stuff from? Don't you have to be a registered/licenced medical practitioner to purchase this gas or can anyone walk into a medical supply company and buy this gas?

I'm quite sure that arrangements can be made for a few cylinders to fall off the back of a lorry.

"Forbidden substance" ? I dont think so.

Agree with MikeENZ, although I am not sure you can purchase it in any supermarket. Although you can walk back to the whipping cream cans and take a hit, so I have been told. Or buy the can and go outside.

If you can get a full tank, I would love to know where. Reminds me of Dead shows in '79 and '80. Its good fun, actually.

• Like 1

NANNY STATISM ROLLS UP ITS SLEEVES IN THAILAND

Protecting us from self harm, by prohibiting laughing gas?

Is this a laughing gas joke?

I think I need some . . . .

Our police have nothing better to do!

Not enough murders, corruption, theft, assault. We must be in heaven.

Lol, as usual an article (and responses) from people with no idea what they are talking about.

This stuff is available from any bulk foods store, what do you think whips your cream in your cappucino machines - food grade catridges, that are legally imported and safe for human consumption. I'm sure you can walk into a supermarket and buy boxes of the stuff without any hassle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger

Every container of pre whipped cream in your supermarket has the stuff in it.

Sorry. I understand now you mean the small 5 or 6 inch containers, not the 25 lb tanks, like at the dentists office.

Yeah, the little ones should be easy to find somewhere.

Why would anyone pay 100 baht to sound like David Beckham? biggrin.png

Me thinks you don't know the difference between Helium and Nitrous Oxide...

I do , sir. Sir, Sir. I do.

The first is He.

The second is N2O.

Lesson 1. Nobody likes a smart arse Nerd.

Lesson 2. Get to like him. You may end up working for him.

• Like 2

100% you can get this in the supermarket. Its used to make whipped cream. One point, you need to read carefully. CO2 is also sold and that's got "death" written on it. When you buy out the entire shelf of their NO2 the easy answer is, "i'm making a cake... a big cake..."

At least that's what my friend used to say 555

Protecting people from their own stupidity has been always one part of the government's responsibility. The other part is exploiting it.

• Like 1

CO2 is also sold and that's got "death" written on it.

You're confusing CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) with CO (carbon monoxide), the latter being toxic the former not. CO2 and N2O are not toxic but both are asphyxiates and will cause the same problems, that is they displace oxygen in the body and can suffocate from them.

• Like 2

Why would anyone pay 100 baht to sound like David Beckham? biggrin.png

I do , sir. Sir, Sir. I do.

The first is He.

The second is N2O.

Lesson 1. Nobody likes a smart arse Nerd.

Lesson 2. Get to like him. You may end up working for him.

Bagwan, sorry buddy, you've gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick here. MikeENZ is referring to the pitch of your voice. Helium causes the voicebox to tighten causing a high pitch David Beckham kind of voice. Nitrous Oxide causes the voicebox to relax, causing a Barry White kind of voice.

Your both right.

Actually the little Nitrous Oxide containers where called "Whippets".

As I remember the days of Clinton Plaza and a certain Bar there that use to have a tank on hand to

fill up balloons and pass them out to customers for free , they even had the proper filter on the dispenser to make sure it was sanitary and not polluted when you inhaled it into your lungs.

I wonder if one of the ex-staff from the Bar was the original entrepreneur behind all this!

I agree with a few Posters previously , that there's allot more EVIL on the streets to be dealt with

then Nitrous Oxide Vendors but then again it seems the LAW never favors anything that's FUN

and they always want to protect us from ourselves. The day is coming when they will be standing outside the Bars

testing everyone to check Blood alcohol levels and arrest or fine you if you are legally drunk in public!

Shame some people can't hold their laughing gas ,and ruin it for those who can....besides one balloon is hardly

enough or very long lasting!

Edited by TheWizardofRnR
  • Like 1

Tourist girls at the flower of their health drop dead like poisoned flies at Ko Phi Phi (with little news coverage), and we get banner headlines about laughing gas.

....or Rohinga towed out to sea in leaky boats by Thai Navy, and given a liter of gas and a liter of water and a furtive 'goodbye'.

"Forbidden substance" ? I dont think so.

Agree with MikeENZ, although I am not sure you can purchase it in any supermarket. Although you can walk back to the whipping cream cans and take a hit, so I have been told. Or buy the can and go outside.

If you can get a full tank, I would love to know where. Reminds me of Dead shows in '79 and '80. Its good fun, actually.

Good fun but if it is not mixed with Oxygen and is near pure, you die from asphyxiation after breathing a bit too much of it.

Wow, so much misinformation. They sell these all over Pattaya. After just witnessing some friends go through 5 balloons each one evening, I can tell you that they do not change the voice in any way. Please stop confusing this with helium. Nitrous Oxide gives you a slightly high, drunk feeling, from what my friends told me; as I said, I did not try it, but sure talked to them while they were doing it. And 15 minutes to make one? Hogwash! In Pattaya it takes the employees of "Funny Air" about 5 seconds to blow one up and sell it. 120 baht here. There are many articles to peruse about the harmful effects of Laughing Gas when abused, just like any other product. You can look up "Funny Air" on their website.

Why would anyone pay 100 baht to sound like David Beckham? biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png width=20 alt=biggrin.png>

That gave me as much a laugh as 2 x 150 baht balloons full!

Wow, so much misinformation. They sell these all over Pattaya. After just witnessing some friends go through 5 balloons each one evening, I can tell you that they do not change the voice in any way. Please stop confusing this with helium. Nitrous Oxide gives you a slightly high, drunk feeling, from what my friends told me; as I said, I did not try it, but sure talked to them while they were doing it. And 15 minutes to make one? Hogwash! In Pattaya it takes the employees of "Funny Air" about 5 seconds to blow one up and sell it. 120 baht here. There are many articles to peruse about the harmful effects of Laughing Gas when abused, just like any other product. You can look up "Funny Air" on their website.

And obviously the reason it is called funny air in Pattaya, as your friends found out consuming the contents of 5 balloons each is that they paid 120 baht to breath in a balloon full of .............air! Funny eh! or is that Funny Air? The reason the balloons full of fresh air gave your friends that slightly drunk feeling is that in order to take part your friends were........slightly drunk :D Thailand, hub of Nitrous Oxide scams ;) How cool is that scam! Here roll up, buy a balloon full of a colourless odourless gas that you are likely to buy while you are pissed and it will make you feel ....pissed. You cannot fault the locals for their mind blowing ingenuity and the tourists for their mind blowing gullible stupidity!