Schengen visa for France, holidaying in the UK

Hi, we're in the UK at the moment until around November, the Mrs is on a visit visa, I thought about traveling to France before we arrived here but as we are with our 7 month old son I didn't think it would be worth it, long story short is now we wouldn't mind going over if we can, so are we able to apply in London for a Schengen visa, I know your supposed to apply in your home country etc but we've changed our mind about going, do they make an exception??

Thanks

Bigjimmy

Their website is very clear

You must be resident in the UK - i.e people must apply in their usual country of residence therefore holders of ’C-Visit’ visas or of a British visa valid for 6 months or less cannot apply from the French Consulate in the UK;

It may be worth asking, but usually the only time they will make an exception to this rule is in an emergency.

EEA nationals have the right to travel freely within the EEA; as do non EEA national qualifying members of their family, and a wife is such, if they are travelling with or to join their EEA national family member.

(This right does not extend to the EEA country of which the EEA national is a citizen; which is why your needed a visa for the UK.)

According to the letter of the regulations all she needs to do is turn up at French immigration and prove to their satisfaction that she is your wife and that she is travelling with or to join you.

You will, presumably, be with her, so the second part is ok; but what about the first?

Do you have your marriage certificate with you? Do you have a certified translation? Knowing the French this almost certainly have to be a French one.

English or French translation, they will want it to be certified by either the MFA in Bangkok or the RTE in London.

Even if you do, you may experience some delay at French immigration while they check the rules and then her paperwork.

If you get that far; your carrier (airline, ferry, Eurostar) may be unwilling to carry her without a visa.

I know of many people who have posted that this is the rule; but I can't recall anyone posting that they have actually done it!

Thanks, we were married in the UK so we have a British marriage certificate but it sounds like it might still be a problem, I think we'll skip it this time and put it down as a lesson learnt.

Thanks for your replies.

Jimmy

Thanks, we were married in the UK so we have a British marriage certificate but it sounds like it might still be a problem, I think we'll skip it this time and put it down as a lesson learnt.

Thanks for your replies.

Jimmy

That's just as well. Because you have to return to Bangkok to apply for a Schengen visa for your wife. Crazy I know. Please correct me if I'm a bit out of date with the rules but when my Thai lady came to the UK with me on a 6 month visitor's visa back in 2004 we were told very firmly by the French immigration people in London and Bangkok that she'd have to apply for the Schengen visa in Bangkok. No can do in London.

On a visitors visa to the UK you have to apply in BKK.

If you are married in the UK as the OP is then as long as you turn up at the French Embassy with a provisional hotel booking in France and proof of funds (credit cards) they'll process it. You need to take your marriage certificate from the UK and it worth having copies.

Once you land in France the visa is valid for the Schenghen countries.

Bon voyage

Edited by Jay Sata

Mr. Sata, yet again you are posting false information.

Schengen applicants must apply in their country of residence. The OP's wife is not a UK resident, so cannot apply in the UK.

Having previously married in the UK makes no difference to that.

Please check your facts before posting.

You have a habit of posting incorrect information; which at best could cost members time, but could also cost them financially.

A friend of mine did it last year Mr 7by7. He lives in Hong Kong with his Thai wife but was married in the UK some years ago.

They stayed in a house I have in Nantes and all I did was write a letter explaining he was spending a week there as my guest.

If you know anything about the French you'll know they are more relaxed about rules and regulations than the Brit's.

It's one of the reasons their charming markets still have dairy products and meat on open air stalls while we in the UK have officials chasing the Women's Institute for selling home made jam.

Mr Sata,

You said that a non EEA national who married in the UK can apply for a French Schengen visa whilst in the UK as a visitor; that is not the case.

Persons in the UK as a visitor cannot apply for a Schengen visa from the French embassy in the UK. It's not me that is saying it; it is the French embassy. Read the link I provided earlier; or better still phone them and ask. I have, they said "Non!"

Mr Sata,

You said that a non EEA national who married in the UK can apply for a French Schengen visa whilst in the UK as a visitor; that is not the case.

Persons in the UK as a visitor cannot apply for a Schengen visa from the French embassy in the UK. It's not me that is saying it; it is the French embassy. Read the link I provided earlier; or better still phone them and ask. I have, they said "Non!"

So how come my friend had no problem?

The Belgian Embassy will accept applications from non-UK residents.

But, they'll go for approval to the Belgian Ministry of Interior. There will therefore be a much longer processing time.

Definitely worth speaking to them about it though.

BigJimmy, if you can get past the other two posters petty online squabbling, you'd do well to follow Bangkockney, I read he used to work for the UBKA and knows his stuff.

• Like 1