Thai opinion: The long-term damage done by populist policies

webfact

Well look at what happened in the UK, checks were written that could never clear. Now we're in over a Trillion of debt. Once you start down this path it's well nigh impossible to stop as there are that many people who think they are a special case.

In a battle between "good politics and bad economics", bad economics always wins. Always.

• Like 2

And who comes next?

Sugar?, I see Brazil has devalued its currency, a big sugar producer so the price should be on the way down.

Palm oil?

Cassava?

But we must diversify from rice...................into what?

A monster has been created and will not die easily.

Exports are down, the baht is still going down, both public and private debt are way up, fuel and gas prices going up.

So what is the Governments answer?

Borrow more.

• Like 1

Over a year later, the funds used to support this rice policy are estimated to be over Bt700 billion and counting. Most of it has gone into the pockets of political cronies, including their wives, mistresses, children, relatives and friends.

Does this get reported in Thai language in the same way?

And who comes next?

Sugar?, I see Brazil has devalued its currency, a big sugar producer so the price should be on the way down.

Palm oil?

Cassava?

Exports are down, the baht is still going down, both public and private debt are way up, fuel and gas prices going up.

Borrow more.

Apparently corn is the new rubber.

The corn farmers will be joining the rubber revolt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is an irony here, a while ago this government spouted on about how it was bad for the earth when chemicals were used to help kill off undergrowth etc for planting corn every year.

Their suggestion was to Plant Rubber Trees!

As clearly indicated in the article, the obvious difference is that rubber farming is predominantly located in the southern (Democratic stronghold) provinces, whereas rice farming is predominantly located in the PTP stronghold areas in the Northern and Central regions.

Therefore, as in all other matters, support is provided for their Red Shirt allies, whilst it is denied to their opponents, once again demonstrating this very alarming split in Thai society, which, as I have continually argued, is likely to have very serious consequences when the s*** eventually hits the fan!

• Like 1

why not rubber, why not palm oil, why not cats and dogs..... just schemes for politicians to have more corruption to line their pockets. The only victims here are the hard-working, tax paying, public...go figure!

Rice pledging scheme was just the opening of this Pandora's box. This government is going to get what's coming....

why not rubber, why not palm oil, why not cats and dogs..... just schemes for politicians to have more corruption to line their pockets. The only victims here are the hard-working, tax paying, public...go figure!

Rice pledging scheme was just the opening of this Pandora's box. This government is going to get what's coming....

This is just the beginning.

Thaksinomics is getting it's comeuppance

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

And who comes next?

Palm oil?

Cassava?

Borrow more.

They will get no help from the US Federal Reserve Bank policy. In fact they are being thrown under the bus as I write.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/10272285/Emerging-market-rout-is-too-big-for-the-Fed-to-ignore.html

The government's argument against yielding to the rubber farmers' demand is quite lame, considering the enormous losses it has incurred by stubbornly continuing with the rice price-pledging scheme, whose total price tag is beyond the wildest imaginings of ordinary people like you and me. The government has told the rubber farmers, with a straight face, that a commodity such as rubber has to base its price on that of the world market.

What amazes me the most is that almost everybody in PT (Yingluck, Thaksin, Nattawut, Tida... ) has said on numerous occasions:

"We should help the poor rice farmers, they are having a difficult time. People should have understanding for them. blah blah.."

...really sickening.

I notice that with the worsening of the economy Yingluck is cutting back on her Photo ops.

She may not be the brightest light but she is starting to realize that as uneducated as they are Thai's are starting to see through the corrupt government she heads. She probably dosen't realize it yet but most of her problems stem back to her brother calling the shots. She hasn't quite figured it out yet that his advice and advisers he has gotten for her have nothing to do with the welfare of Thailand.sad.png

why not rubber, why not palm oil, why not cats and dogs..... just schemes for politicians to have more corruption to line their pockets. The only victims here are the hard-working, tax paying, public...go figure!

Indeed. They managed to implement a system that worked even worse than the CAP. That really takes some doing.

And who comes next?

Palm oil?

Cassava?

Borrow more.

They will get no help from the US Federal Reserve Bank policy. In fact they are being thrown under the bus as I write.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/10272285/Emerging-market-rout-is-too-big-for-the-Fed-to-ignore.html

Everyone is going to feel the pinch when bernanke turns off the taps. How low will the set and the baht go?

One would think that with reports like this, that the wheels are beginning to come off this Government, but no, not until the great unwashed can start to think beyond "self". Sadly, the poor and great unwashed will not understand this report, or even care about it. As long as they benefit today, tomorrow will take care of itself, but it won't. I believe that economically and politically Thailand is on a downward spiral, and the only solution is the emergence of a strong, charismatic and honest leader in the guise of a "saviour". The great shame is, I don't see one - anywhere in Thailand.

why not rubber, why not palm oil, why not cats and dogs..... just schemes for politicians to have more corruption to line their pockets. The only victims here are the hard-working, tax paying, public...go figure!

Indeed. They managed to implement a system that worked even worse than the CAP. That really takes some doing.

Haha! Very true.

Is a carrot still classified as a fruit so the Spaniards can make marmalade?

Another example of long term damage from the government's populist policies:

BBC: Is Thailand’s car buying scheme a wise move?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0p7uq03jb8c

Apparently the BBC made a series of such reports including the rice scheme.

Be careful BBC you may be sued for damaging the reputation of Thailand.

Rice Scam

• Like 2

Another example of long term damage from the government's populist policies:

BBC: Is Thailand’s car buying scheme a wise move?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0p7uq03jb8c

Apparently the BBC made a series of such reports including the rice scheme.

Be careful BBC you may be sued for damaging the reputation of Thailand.

And you may be arrested and faced with lawsuits for suggesting such possible 'gossiping' outcomes...5555.

This group is going 'tits up' fast (pun intended) with the sagging tits being spearheaded by the prodigious Yingluck herself.

Actually, I didn't think PTP would even make it this far given the cesspool of ineptitude

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1