Getting Laos Visa While In Ubon?

foolforlove

hi everyone,

i am in ubon for two weeks or so.

and i would like to to go laos next crossing at chong mek.

from what i have read, i can NOT get lao visa "on arrival" at this border.

so does anyone know a service or travel agency or something in Ubon that will handle getting the lao visa for me?

thanks

hi everyone,

i am in ubon for two weeks or so.

and i would like to to go laos next crossing at chong mek.

from what i have read, i can NOT get lao visa "on arrival" at this border.

so does anyone know a service or travel agency or something in Ubon that will handle getting the lao visa for me?

thanks

Foolforlove,

It's very easy to get one at Chong Mek. I do it every month. Just go to Chong Mek, stamp out of Thailand, and walk about 200 meters to the Lao immigration building which is on the right. The windows on the front of the building are for leaving Laos, the ones on the back are for entering Laos, and the ones on the side facing Thailand are for your Laos visa. Go to it first, fill out the forms (remember to take one passport size photograph) and pay either USD 30 or 1500 baht. You will get your Laos visa. Then go to the back of the the building and "enter" Laos. Don't be surprised if they ask you for a small fee when entering.

Good luck!

really? ok thats good news.

the bangkok lao embassy website makes it seem that "visa on arrival" is not possible at chongmek

and that i have to go to BKK or Khon Khaen lao consulate in advance to get the lao visa....

thanks

They convinced me of that, too, the first time, so I made the trip up to Khon Khaen. When I got to Chong Mek, though, they made it clear that I could do it there. Three Australians did it the day before yesterday, so you can't get much more current information.

The same can be done at the Mukdahan/Savanakhet crossover point. I have done this once and know many farangs from our area that use Chong Mek and Mukdahan for visa runs and they always get their Lao visas at the border crossing.