American Jeep Rental in Phuket

somerandomguy

I am looking for an American Jeep to rent for One day next week. Andaman Car Rental's website has one on their car list but when I called they said it's unavailable. Does anyone have alternative contacts that will get me one? Preferably Open-air and 4 seater. Please do reply asap!

There are lots for rent in Patong. Try outside the kasikorn bank on the road on the southern end of the beach.

Hi patongphil, Thanks for the info! I've heard stories about the Jeeps around Beach Rd and how they operate similarly to the Jet Ski rentals. Can you shed some light and hopefully this is not always the case and genuinely reliable jeeps exist?

Well, the OP asked for it, so he really wants one of those Jeeps. I'd prefer a car with a roof, proper doors, and aircon for the real hot days. It is not always sunny in this season. I have seen many of these "Jeeps", which are actually "Toyotas". The last real thing was a Willy's Overland which I rented in Saigon back in 1973.

There are lots for rent in Patong. Try outside the kasikorn bank on the road on the southern end of the beach.

Hi patongphil, Thanks for the info! I've heard stories about the Jeeps around Beach Rd and how they operate similarly to the Jet Ski rentals. Can you shed some light and hopefully this is not always the case and genuinely reliable jeeps exist?

There are many on Beach Road Patong, but stay away from them. As you have heard, they are in very poor mechanical condition, possibly even on purpose, similar to the jet-ski scam. I believe their brakes fail regularly.

Click on the link in this old thread. (fatal jeep accident)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/330264-australian-honeymooner-dies-in-phuket-road-crash/

Quote: "The network reports that the man had been travelling in the vehicle with his wife when the four-wheel drive’s brakes failed. The vehicle then hit a parked car and rolled off the road."

As someone already mentioned, most are really Toyota. The yellow ones with the Jeep logo on the back, spend most of their time broken down on the side of the road, or in a collision shop. Rent a nice car/SUV with AC from a reputable company, you'll be much happier.smile.png

Well, the OP asked for it, so he really wants one of those Jeeps. I'd prefer a car with a roof, proper doors, and aircon for the real hot days. It is not always sunny in this season. I have seen many of these "Jeeps", which are actually "Toyotas". The last real thing was a Willy's Overland which I rented in Saigon back in 1973.

Really appreciate for the heads up guys. I understand that these are pretty popular but I'm quite confused why proper reputable car rental companies do not carry more of these kind of cars though.

In regards to the cars being modded toyotas, It really doesn't bother me if its not an actual 'Jeep', at this stage I don't mind anything that is a 4x4 with an open roof + seats for 4 in great mechanical condition. Imma' have to rethink about my Jeep experience =(. Honestly though, we're not really using it as a mode of transportation, we just need it to cruise around.

Edited by somerandomguy