Thai consumer protection: Auto gripes top consumer complaints list

webfact

CONSUMER PROTECTION
Auto gripes top consumer complaints list

Suriyan Panyawai
The Nation

30214094-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Automobile-related problems have topped the complaints list at the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB) for nearly two years now.

Last year, the OCPB received 2,000 complaints - 877 about motor vehicles.

These automobile-related issues exceeded the number of complaints about real-estate units for the first time. Common problems reported were automobile defects, dealers' failure to provide freebies stated in promotional promises, and unclear lease-purchase contracts.

This year, automobiles look set to top the OCPB complaint database again.From October 1 last year to July 31 this year, the number of gripes involving motor vehicles has already reached 682.

OCPB secretary-general Jirachai Moontongroy yesterday explained that auto-makers would be asked to examine the vehicles reported as having problems and to provide repairs/parts replacements where necessary.

"In this case, the warranty period must be extended too," he said.

Jirachai said in cases where complainants and auto-makers could not reach a satisfactory agreement through negotiations, his office contacted the Thailand Automotive Institute for help in examining the problematic vehicles."Experts can determine whether the reported problems arise from any manufacturing error," he said.

Jirachai said that where manufacturing error is the base for complaint, auto-makers will have to provide repair, part replacement or the replacement of the whole vehicle, or buy back the problematic vehicle.

Jirachai said most complaints lodged with the OCPB could be solved via mediation.

Itthaboon Onwongsa of the Foundation for Consumers said the complaints about automobiles were lodged because consumers spent quite a lot of money on their vehicles.

"Consumers usually contact auto-makers or government agencies first when they notice problems in their vehicles," he said, "But when they feel they wait for too long for a response, they will turn to us". He said if the consumers waited too long for a response from auto-makers or dealers, the one-year warranty period for new vehicles might expire.

He advised consumers to consider a mediation process quickly because it would help avoid any statute of limitations regarding their vehicle case. According to Itthaboon, the foundation received 93 complaints about automobiles between 2010 and 2013.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-04

As a rule, after sales service an warranty issues are terrible or non existent in Thailand.

I bought 2 new Toyota cars in Thailand, the second of these broke down after 14 months.. It was sold with a 3 year/100,000 km warranty, when it broke down it was at 55,000 km so should have been well within warranty, but the Toyota dealer in Khon Kaen refused to repair the car under warranty and stated that our warranty was in Chiang Mai (where we bought the car) and not in Khon Kaen. Cost us 13,000 and then it broke down 220km later with the same issue.

Of course, I sold the car. bought a new Suzuki and I will never buy another new Toyota (though actually the cars are great, it's the warranty that stinks). If you search for "Toyota Thailand Warranty Worthless" on google then you can read the whole story.

• Like 1

only 2000 complaints a year, obviously this is not a resource that is well known here. most Thai's I have meet dont even know they exist. how about some government funds to make this agency more prominent, it might be a good way to clean up some of the shady deals that go down on a day to day basis.

• Like 1

Buy a Honda, I had only one problem in 6 years with the engine mountings of my Honda Civic. They replaced it free of charge even though it was 6 months out of the 3 years warranty because the said it should not have happened within that time. I have now bought a Honda CRV from the same dealer.

Actually, there is nothing wrong here. This is the same everywhere; the only difference being the people who stand behind their product and provide the service that they do (or lack therein). I think that applying the word "Thai" to any contract, guarantee, warranty or deed demonstrates the core of the problem to this otherwise resolvable issue.

Of course, I sold the car. bought a new Suzuki and I will never buy another new Toyota (though actually the cars are great, it's the warranty that stinks). If you search for "Toyota Thailand Warranty Worthless" on google then you can read the whole story.

Interesting thread (on your site) did you get the Nissan?

Fact is that the Thai consumer has no rights whatsoever. It happens so often that as a potential buyer you are treated like garbage and should feel happy that they actually sell you something.

Unfortunately, the government's policy makes things only worse. Take e.g. the protective wall Thailand built around imports vs. domestic products. And check out the result for the consumer:

We pay double (yes DOUBLE) the price for identical products, even if they are made in Thailand. Take a Toyota Camry, the new Hybrid version, made or assembled in Thailand. Why does it cost 100% more here than the exact same model in USA, made in USA? Because the heavily protected domestic market can (and does) charge any price they want. Imported cars are just too expensive thanks to exorbitant taxes, although they are better (saver, more environment friendly, consume less etc).

So who is actually protected here? The consumer or the dealer or the manufacturer? I give you a hint: It's not the consumer.

Maybe it's also the fault of Thai people who never stand up for their rights...

• Like 2

After sending 2 emails, the second was a copy of the first, I am still waiting for a reply from OCPB, that was a bout 4 months ago, as far as I'm concerned they are as useless as tits on a bull and rude, not even having the decency to say "go away" you irritating farang :) Maybe my complaint about a Telco was too hard for them, although if followed through it would benefit all Thais.

The guy in the photo is sitting on a Mazda 2, is there something wrong with that model that I should know? Was actually thinking of getting one.

Isn't it a Mazda 3???

Why buy a Mazda 2--when you can get a Honda Brio/Nissan March/Mitsu Mirage, for 100,000 bht less.

The guy in the photo is sitting on a Mazda 2, is there something wrong with that model that I should know? Was actually thinking of getting one.

Mazda 2 nice small car - we don't have one as I feel safer with a larger amount of metal around us on Thailand's roads.

I think you will find the car in the image heading this thread is an old shape Mazda 6.

Follows is the original news item that sparked this Nation Article.......

Google translation from Thai:

At 16:00 am on July 6 at the Mazda showroom vessel. Located in three separate market Poonsup Privacy Moo 1, Baan Klang Muang Pathum Thani has said Rapee Federation Thammathirat Prayer age 49 , residing at 88/63 Budhamonthon 4. T. A. Rose Nakornpathom some sensational driving a Mazda sedan . Black registration number BM 8454 Bangkok show front crowd. Calling attention to the problems of the car . By writing the message . " This car was bought red . Fire while driving it six times larger centers do not repair it. Please do not approach dangerous " by the label . Bring a towel and a bottle of water around it and hang it up to those who have to drive this car . The wife and I sat on the roof of hands all the time to get sympathy. Mazda , the company does not charge by saying that it took to do what it took to bring the car to the minors at the car showroom .

Mr. Rapee Association revealed that about two years ago to the showroom at the Motor Show in Muang Thong Thani . One day it was bought out by driving down the road the engine fire up dormant. When the vehicle repair center technicians from headquarters Mazda fever is not falling . When the car is ready to run the car engine is off and this is the sixth time after which the vessel center , Mazda has released a report that indicated the car to the engine problems were frequent . But the check engine overhaul center . And the back of the car to free the vehicle temporarily each time the vehicle is repaired at the Mazda. But when Mr. Rapee Federation . Access to the center 's report also has the same problem . And appealed to the new car . Or change the balance. But the company refused to take the car back to the car, no problem. The title page must come from the showroom .

Original Thai Source: LINK From July 2013

The Toyota dealer in Phitsanulok (two shops) is as crooked as a dog's hind leg. Every time I go in there for a specific repair or oil change (6 or 7,000 baht worth), once they get my car and have it for about an hour somebody approaches me with a computer printout about two feet long listing everything that "needs to be done" to bring the truck up to snuff. It always adds up to around 30,000 baht. The list includes things like brake pads (I inspected only a week earlier and had only 50% wear), need air filter change (I changed two weeks before - clean as a whistle), windshield wiper blades (changed three weeks earlier), etc. The last time, they even had the audacity to try to sell me new tires, while the tires on my truck were obviously fine.

This happens EVERY TIME. I know a little about mechanics and cars and am never deceived by them. But what happens to all the Thais that go in there, know nothing about cars and trust them? This dealer must reap millions and millions of baht per year from its blatant, unscrupulous, deceitful and over-the-top practices.

• Like 1