Thai Commerce Ministry faces public anger over cost of living

webfact

"just a perception that goods are expensive" ... really ? Time for this lady to have a reality check ... but reality for the elite is way different from our reality. So yes ... we perceive higher prices differently. That's more accurate.

Edited by razer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice the way the article blames foreigners as well for taking their money out of the country. It's never their own fault but always those evil foreigners.

Actually that is a BS statement, foreign investment is a global thing not just in Thailand. your suggestion is slightly paranoid, and pointless.

"It's just a perception that goods are expensive". - Vatchari Vimooktayon

"There is no truth. There is only perception." - Gustave Flaubert

"Control the public's perception of you and nobody will care if you have any talent." - Rashida Jones

• Like 1

Prices of many items have a lot to do with the global economy, out of the influence of Thai governments. Raising the minimum wage was an election promise of both sides and to my opinion quite a good idea as there hadn't been any substantial raise in a very long time and it's struggling at 5000 Baht a month.

Thailand's problem is in productivity and efficiency. It keeps amazing me to see 8 staff in a 7Eleven spending more time with each other than on customers, TOT that sends 6 people to install a simple telephone line spread over 3 visits, the army of people in banks that fiddle around with paper and stamps ignoring huge ques, and I can go on and on about this.

Why with the high wages is it possible to get a kilo of pork or beef in the shop at better quality and lower prices in western Europe than here in Thailand?

If Thailand would learn to use less people to do the same job the wages could be raised even more, tackling another problem of inequality here as most of the money that is made ends up in very few pockets. The latter will be the most difficult problem as it's them who pull the strings in the system.

Have 10 people working in 7-11 is the government's way of keeping the unemployment rate down. smile.png

Or is it 7-11's way of actually getting some work done?

Shocked that policies like raising the minimum wage and full employment is leading to higher prices, well I never. And then there is the weather, the price of eggs has risen 30% in the wet season. But wait, I see a host of statistics to be released clearly showing no price rises at all.

Just like in the UK the minimum wage allows for complete useless morons to actually get paid instead of kicking them into the reality that life is not one long bone idle holiday.

Prices of many items have a lot to do with the global economy, out of the influence of Thai governments. Raising the minimum wage was an election promise of both sides and to my opinion quite a good idea as there hadn't been any substantial raise in a very long time and it's struggling at 5000 Baht a month.

Thailand's problem is in productivity and efficiency. It keeps amazing me to see 8 staff in a 7Eleven spending more time with each other than on customers, TOT that sends 6 people to install a simple telephone line spread over 3 visits, the army of people in banks that fiddle around with paper and stamps ignoring huge ques, and I can go on and on about this.

Why with the high wages is it possible to get a kilo of pork or beef in the shop at better quality and lower prices in western Europe than here in Thailand?

If Thailand would learn to use less people to do the same job the wages could be raised even more, tackling another problem of inequality here as most of the money that is made ends up in very few pockets. The latter will be the most difficult problem as it's them who pull the strings in the system.

Have 10 people working in 7-11 is the government's way of keeping the unemployment rate down. smile.png

Or is it 7-11's way of actually getting some work done?

Id love to see a time and motion study done in Thailand!!! how they ever called it a "tiger" Ill never know?

The Commerce Ministry seems to be a a gathering of those who 'perceive' the country through frosted glass. Reality is non-existent.

Only last week we had a string of ridiculous 'perceptions' of fictitious rice figures from them that even using simple maths didn't add up.

It's good to see ordinary Thais wake up to the fact that the current government are making an unholy mess of the economy because of doing one man's bidding. I do hope the acid threat is not carried out - pig swill would be a good alternative.

• Like 1

With the incredible rising prices going on since the powers that be came into government, plus the recent huge increase in prices of alcoholic drinks, I can see more and more expats heading for Cambodia or other nearby countries. Also unsettling is the pervading sensation that things here are out of control or lacking sensible leadership, and that this country is heading for the Niagara Falls in a barbed-wire canoe :(

Well, you voted for them . . . stop complaining or vote in someone who can do the job properly instead of shopping or posing for the cameras.

They voted for Shinawatra clan after collecting 500 bath, now it's payback time with sky high interest, sum nam na :-)

Well, you voted for them . . . stop complaining or vote in someone who can do the job properly instead of shopping or posing for the cameras.

They voted for Shinawatra clan after collecting 500 bath, now it's payback time with sky high interest, sum nam na :-)

Short-term thinking, the bane of Thailand.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, not ridiculous ones.

To analyze into this threat, could it be born of desperation?

One of the problems that the government often over looks whenever the the economy is in the doldrums is the mental health of the salary man/women. Overburdened with debt or unable to provide for their family, often leads to hopelessness, depression and despair. People cope with it differently, some turn to crime or suicide while others hang tough and try to weather it out. If the problem is left unadressed the sentiment often snowballs into public discontent as I sense is starting here though in this case is rather premature and out of reality. I feel for those who have a problem making ends meet but in the end it is our own responsibility to use less then what we earn and save for a rainy day because life is unpredictable. I feel many thai's lack fiscal discipline and buying all those motorcycles and tv's on installments is not helping. I have much disdain for credit cards and all those 0% financing/10 month installment gimmicks which often lead to spending beyond our means. I have even more disdain for the incompetent government that I did NOT vote for but most others did. That 500 baht per vote is being cashed back in the form of less subsidies and someone is going to have to foot the bill. Surprise surprise, its us.

Edited by smileydude

So, to solve this productivity problem you say Thailand is affected by, you want to cut the staff at 7Elevens, banks, utility companies etc ?

You think every 7Eleven in Thailand has 8 staff and that is too many, so how about we ditch half of them, 4 should be enough to do the work. Four people out of work, multiplied by 7,000 stores across Thailand equals 28,000 people suddenly out of work. What are these people going to do for money ? Go down to the local Social Security office and sign up for the dole ? But the remaining staff would be given a pay rise so that will even things out.

And we have not even started on the banks and phone companies.

I must be getting old and losing my sight because I am not seeing all these idle people you seem to be seeing.

Raising the minimum wage seemed to give pay increases to some, but price increases for many, which is not fair in my opinion.

So, to solve this productivity problem you say Thailand is affected by, you want to cut the staff at 7Elevens, banks, utility companies etc ?

You think every 7Eleven in Thailand has 8 staff and that is too many, so how about we ditch half of them, 4 should be enough to do the work. Four people out of work, multiplied by 7,000 stores across Thailand equals 28,000 people suddenly out of work. What are these people going to do for money ? Go down to the local Social Security office and sign up for the dole ? But the remaining staff would be given a pay rise so that will even things out.

I must be getting old and losing my sight because I am not seeing all these idle people you seem to be seeing.

Raising the minimum wage seemed to give pay increases to some, but price increases for many, which is not fair in my opinion.

But Thailand has near ZERO unemployment, all are working.? BS

We are permanent looking for staff and can't find anyone.

No cleaning woman for 5 month. Last one went away with 12000 Baht per month.

We looked for woman for simple office work. We got 12 phone numbers from the countries unemployed agency (whatever the name), called them all and from 12, 11 had already a job and we took the 12th.

We look for a small construction job and the owner is told us that at the moment he can't find reasonable staff. So at least in our area there is very low unemployment. Maybe not zero but almost.

Our condo in Chiang Mai has not had a security guard on night shift for a month now, the poor guy on day shift has had to work both shifts.

I just asked my wife why they don't get another guy and she said they can't find anyone.

Shocked that policies like raising the minimum wage and full employment is leading to higher prices, well I never. And then there is the weather, the price of eggs has risen 30% in the wet season. But wait, I see a host of statistics to be released clearly showing no price rises at all.

Just like in the UK the minimum wage allows for complete useless morons to actually get paid instead of kicking them into the reality that life is not one long bone idle holiday.

Thats funny, I was always under the impression that it allowed people to better feed their families and try to live better after working for such crap wages doing the work that all the lazy arse management class cant do while earning their 100's of thousands for screwing everything up......Banking industry is just 1 of many examples.....

Employers have been screwing the working classes since time began, and people with your attitude just add to the problem....yeah lets just kill all the poor and have done with it eh????

As for Thailand well, happy to take your money for votes and not think of the consequences? Som nam na!

The Thai economy (if thats what you can call it) needs a huge reality check.........More importantly a huge clean out of the rubbish running it, but we all know that wont happen so can be only down from here.

• Like 1

I know right? I mean in 2010 a ST on SCB was 1,500 baht and now it's like 2,500 ST 5,000 LT. Thats a lot more than 14% inflation.

I blame it on the minimum wage hike too.

I believe many here would agree your negotiating powers need sharpening.

PYs in the ST & LT business in the area you mentioned as well as NEP & PP and other fun zones,are operating in a buyer's market. Just like the department stores, there is an oversupply of service staff.

Or are you one of the gentlemen who shows up in those locations looking like he just stepped off a plane from Tokyo?

• Like 1

A good start to remedy the situation would be to give about $30 billion of public money to the poorest people of thailand i think. This would greatly ease the suffering.

But there was just a huge % increase in the minimum wage, and Thailand has 0% unemployment. Surely everyone is rolling in dough?

A good start to remedy the situation would be to give about $30 billion of public money to the poorest people of thailand i think. This would greatly ease the suffering.

And when that money has been spent, what nedxt? Or have you given all your money to the poor, are now poor and want some public money? :)

Economic prospects as a whole are also poor, with the export sector, generating 70 per cent of GDP, suffering from weak global demand. Foreign investors have added to the woes by withdrawing massive funds from the Thai capital market.

All part of the desovereignisation / destabilisation plan being covertly forced through by Yingluck/Thanksin's international paymasters. Breakdown of economies and industries, and spiralling crime rates caused by needless poverty inflicted on the populace, is the "only game in town" for these globalist criminals. Only way to get control of your economy is to elect a ruling party who are loyal to the nation's sovereignty, and not to offshore banking cartels and secret societies. If you elect globalist puppets your nation will be decimated and stripped of everything except dust.

I know right? I mean in 2010 a ST on SCB was 1,500 baht and now it's like 2,500 ST 5,000 LT. Thats a lot more than 14% inflation.

I blame it on the minimum wage hike too.

I believe many here would agree your negotiating powers need sharpening.

PYs in the ST & LT business in the area you mentioned as well as NEP & PP and other fun zones,are operating in a buyer's market. Just like the department stores, there is an oversupply of service staff.

Or are you one of the gentlemen who shows up in those locations looking like he just stepped off a plane from Tokyo?

Hardly, long time LOS veteran and IDK what powers of persuasion you have but those are the current prices in BKK. I'm not one to haggle much either (they suffer enough just being with me). That said, 2 to 2500K ST and 4 to 5k LT are the new standard. I know Pattaya is cheaper but I dont go there anymore.

But, speaking of stepping off a plane from Tokyo--that is the main reason the prices are up. Every time I go into Shark or Baccara it is wall to wall Chinese/Japanese/Korean tourists. When a girl can flip 2 or 3 of them a night, they want you to make up for it if you take them LT.

We are permanent looking for staff and can't find anyone.

No cleaning woman for 5 month. Last one went away with 12000 Baht per month.

We looked for woman for simple office work. We got 12 phone numbers from the countries unemployed agency (whatever the name), called them all and from 12, 11 had already a job and we took the 12th.

We look for a small construction job and the owner is told us that at the moment he can't find reasonable staff. So at least in our area there is very low unemployment. Maybe not zero but almost.

There are so many Thais that just do NOT want work, they are just satisfied to help out at the farm, sometimes money doe's not come into the equation.

Just look at the million that are walking the beaches for money-farrang.

It's nearly impossible to believe no one wants to clean house for 12,000 bht per month. I'm not saying that's you don't have a problem.

There are not many Thais can clean houses properly, and I mean properly, because no one has taught them. you have to be shown.

The construction owner can't find workers because he wants reasonable staff--that's what Thailand is short of, BUT that doesn't mean that there are no one out there.

I worked at a top hotel in London and we employed foreign cleaners, although there was unemployment, no one wanted to be a cleaner. (shy)

look at every town village, and see how many people do nothing all day-sleeping,drinking,gambling etc.

I am NOT Thai bashing in general this is how rural people live. NOT ALL.You believe the figures and how they come to get them. If I went into a town and did my own count of who was working, I would have completely different figures.