Explain to me please..............

thequietman

Can someone explain to me please when a motorbike is advertised for sale and they state they have invoice and customs duty receipt.

Obviously the bike is not registered and does not have a green book. However is it possible to insure and tax the bike ?( methinks No.)

If not, then how difficult is it to get a new green book for the bike and how much does it cost?

I want to get a 400 cc bike but most are out of my range at 125,000 with book. A cheaper option at 50 or 70,000 without book is about my limit. However, I will do without if I can't get it at the very least insured and taxed.

Many thanks for your help. wai.gif

Do a search - this gets asked almost weekly.

The unfortunate short answer is that it is not practical to buy an 'invoice only' bike and arrange the greenbook yourself.

If it were that easy - the bike would simply have a greenbook and be sold for more coin.

There are a million different cases and 'ways' things can be done if you know people, but it is certainly getting harder and harder.

It also depends a lot on where you live and where you would be riding.

I have not heard of anyone in recent years being able to get a greenbook for their 'invoice' only bike easily or at all really.

I would assume this is only getting more difficult.

The bright side is that there are many, many more options available now than 5-6 years ago, and in those 5-6 years the 2nd hand market has grown dramatically, although still nothing like what many are used to back 'home'.

If I were you and looking at around 70k as a budget, I would look into a used Ninja 250 or a used CBR250.

These bikes have never been so cheap here (used) and you will have no worries with invoice only/greenbook stuff.

If you have your heart set on something like a CB400, SR400 or the like, I think you will have enormous trouble finding one for ~70k with a book, or at all really.

Good luck and let us know how you go.....

Denki pretty much nailed it.

The invoice may prevent you from losing the bike, but paying a 1000B fee and once cops start pulling you over for that fine, they won't stop as you become a cash cow for them.

As for not seeing anything for 70-80k, you are not looking hard enough. While you will not be getting a legal GB400/clubman or SR400, you can get:

Savage

Steed

Vulcan

XJ400

CB1

Super Four

Virago

VFR400

Bros400

examples of such here in Chiang Mai:

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628295

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605968

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620546

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617323

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626231

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561112

Obviously the bike is not registered and does not have a green book. However is it possible to insure and tax the bike ?( methinks No.)

You can tax and get the government 3rd party insurance. I know because I have done it.

The fine for no green book/plate is either 200 or 400 baht and the bike cannot be legally confiscated.

Of course, this being ThaiVisa, the barstool experts will tell you that the sky will fall in.

• Like 1

200-400? The BiB must be taking a piss on the guys I know who've had to pay this fine, Up here in Chiang Mai they have all paid 1000B

As for the 3rd party, I've heard about and seen this done successfully. But will this hold up in the case of an accident? I have a Honda Chaly and 1-5% of these bikes were ever registered. been thinking about selling it because of the no insurance thing. If I could get it insured I would be extremely happy.

^ If people in Chiang Mai are happy paying more than what the fine actually is then that's up to them.

And yes, the insurance holds up according to the 2 or 4 people I know who have been in accidents with a non-plated but insured vehicle.

^ If people in Chiang Mai are happy paying more than what the fine actually is then that's up to them.

And yes, the insurance holds up according to the 2 or 4 people I know who have been in accidents with a non-plated but insured vehicle.

Thanks for the info Wong! I am going to ask the transport people what I need to get all of this done for my Chaly.

I think Wrong is right, but the key is that all the docs are legal and everything is in the proper name as well as everything being paid up. Strange, but from what I believe the lack of a plate is nowhere near as big an issue here as it is back home.

I guess the trouble comes when a foreigner has to try and decipher various legal/import/DLT/etc. docs for the first time. It would be hard with out a fair bit of assistance to even know what you were dealing with. And you would want to know exactly what state the bike was in legally before handing over any cash.

Another direction to go in may be to contact one of those middle-man guys at the shops near the various DLT offices. They would surely be able to tell you what docs you need, and would probably inspect bike engine/frame numbers and docs for you if you wanted to purchase something that way.

Buuuut, I really couldn't more highly stress the simplicity of just getting a bike with a legit book in the first place.

Buuuut, I really couldn't more highly stress the simplicity of just getting a bike with a legit book in the first place.

Of course, in an ideal world that would be the way to go, but not everyone wants to ride a modern bike. I would think it's getting increasingly harder to find vintage bikes with a green book and all the other paperwork in place.

If it means that someone can get a few more years riding an old but beloved bike before the laws are tightened further then that's a bonus.

^^ Agreed, especially if you know what you are up against.

I couldn't believe that after being pulled over by the BB on a bike that clearly:

1. Was not meant for the street, (esp. in the middle of BKK)

2. Had no legal registration plate

3. Had no tax sticker

4. Had no working lights

5. Had no mirrors

...all they wanted was a couple of hundred baht for going through a tunnel.....

they did say something about mirrors at the time, but I felt this was more of a decoy to distract me from the donation I had just made.....like they wanted to feel like they were actually 'working'...lol

Edited by denkiblue555

"Can someone explain to me please when a motorbike is advertised for sale and they state they have invoice and customs duty receipt.

If not, then how difficult is it to get a new green book for the bike and how much does it cost?

I want to get a 400 cc bike but most are out of my range at 125,000 with book. A cheaper option at 50 or 70,000 without book is about my limit. However, I will do without if I can't get it at the very least insured and taxed.

Many thanks for your help. "

I say no you cant get a tax sticker or insurance but since a few BMs say yes. Please post your results so we have a firm answer...gl

That steed is a cracker. unfortunately the advertisement is over a year old and unlikely to still be available. The bike is 20 years old. Is that the normal price for a bike this old ? Thanks. I am a genuine buyer so if you know of a steed or something similar for sale at this price, I would be very interested.

Denki pretty much nailed it.

The invoice may prevent you from losing the bike, but paying a 1000B fee and once cops start pulling you over for that fine, they won't stop as you become a cash cow for them.

As for not seeing anything for 70-80k, you are not looking hard enough. While you will not be getting a legal GB400/clubman or SR400, you can get:

Savage

Steed

Vulcan

XJ400

CB1

Super Four

Virago

VFR400

Bros400

examples of such here in Chiang Mai:

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628295

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605968

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620546

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617323

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626231

http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561112

The sure way to get your bike confiscated is to have a plate that does not belong to the bike. even if you have paperwork (doctored) it is still fraud & the can or will lift the bike. I know 2 people in Pattaya that got their rides confiscated. Suzuki Haybusa & a V-max. Just depends if the bike looks cool enough to the heat.

Now if you just have invoice papers no reg & insurance.....Most likely fines. But if you or someone has put plates that do not belong it is considered fraud & is handled the same as any other country. So Wong you are correct as long as the bike has no plates on it. No tax sticker because of no plate.

No crime here for no greenbook just the endless hassle of playing kick the can when you try to sell later.

As I said before I did buy (from a cop) a 125 Honda for 2500 baht to take my dogs to the beach . It cannot ever get a plate tax sticker (unless purchased illegally or ins.)Bike sold now for same amount & the last time I buy an un-plated bike.

It is a real hassle to get a bike from invoice to green book doable but IMHO not worth it or I would have my 1100 Kawasaki shipped up from the states.

You can tax and get the government 3rd party insurance. I know because I have done it.

The fine for no green book/plate is either 200 or 400 baht and the bike cannot be legally confiscated.

Of course, this being ThaiVisa, the barstool experts will tell you that the sky will fall in.

To clarify. If the customs tax has NOT been paid and receipt in hand then Customs can and do impound/confiscate bikes (and cars)

But it is still not LEGAL to ride on the road.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

• Like 1

sad to see these green book discussions again here.

to the OP: if the motorcycle does not have a legal green book, even if they give it to you free, just do not buy it!

and please do not generalize comments like 'nothign happened top my friends regarding insurance' here and confuse people.

• Like 1

That steed is a cracker. unfortunately the advertisement is over a year old and unlikely to still be available. The bike is 20 years old. Is that the normal price for a bike this old ? Thanks. I am a genuine buyer so if you know of a steed or something similar for sale at this price, I would be very interested.

All if those ads are no more than 3 pages deep on a fast moving board. He listed it in March, been bumping it since, now asking 65,000. 60-100k for a 400cc steed is normal depending on condition, 80-150k for a 600cc

Don't follow the steed market, might be a hard sale or something wrong with the bike or book. Mocyc.com is a great site too. My thai is to the point where I can read easily, so I either translate the page or copy and past it into google translate and press the listen button

Thanks 4 your input. I is appreciated.

Please can you explain more about not following the steed market. I would like your advice. All I really know is how to start and ride a bike. After that I,m lost.

Many thanks.wai.gif

All if those ads are no more than 3 pages deep on a fast moving board. He listed it in March, been bumping it since, now asking 65,000. 60-100k for a 400cc steed is normal depending on condition, 80-150k for a 600cc

Don't follow the steed market, might be a hard sale or something wrong with the bike or book. Mocyc.com is a great site too. My thai is to the point where I can read easily, so I either translate the page or copy and past it into google translate and press the listen button

as denkiblue555 said, if I had your budget I Would get a CBR250 is very good shape, or a ninja 250 is OK shape.

they are made here, cheap maintenance, easy on gas, tons of spare parts and accessories..

the CB400 is a great bike, my friend has one and it uses too much gas, and you cant even put gasohol on it.

a CB400 will give you headache in the long term for spare parts. He regrets buying it for 130,000 baht.

or even a CB500 if you have work permit and willing to pay over 1-2 years payments, very easy for re-sell.

i'm booking really soon a CB500 with small downpayment and pay over 18 months with 6%.

just waiting for some documents to clear up.

• Like 1

or even a CB500 if you have work permit and willing to pay over 1-2 years payments, very easy for re-sell.

You must be joking! laugh.png

why joking? do you see any second hand CB500 on any advertisement website? nope.

it's because everyone wants to buy one, and waiting list is not short. it's a great bike for Thailand.

• Like 1