Celebrated artist dies in Phuket surfing accident

webfact

According to another source *(Edited out)*, Mr. Tum couldn't swim. He went out on a surfboard, lost the board and couldn't make it back to the beach...

I do not know the "source" you are quoting, but surely that information can not be correct.

I have never heard of surfer that can't swim. The deceased would have come off his board many times whilst a novice, learning the sport.

RIP

Well, he died. So obviously he didn't swim very well. I go to Kata once a year during rainy season and I body surf out with the surfers. The surf there is not that difficult. I can tread and float easily for 30 mins at a time while riding waves with no flotation devices. The surfers are usually annoyed with me being in their area but other than that I've never felt any danger.

@ Old Croc

I could personally attack you, but I will not.

Ok, if I'm the only person that thinks it strange a guy that can't swim, gets on a surf board - so be it.

I notice members here have no problem criticising the many tourists who can't ride a motorbike, who rent one, crashing and killing themselves, and then noting the time of the accident being earlier hours of the morning, and concluding the rider was drunk.

Of course. you never make conclusions like that, do you, and the journalism on Phuket is of a high standard, isn't it?

Get over yourself.

LOL! The man whom drowned was apparently a very fine graphic artist, was a Thai from Bangkok. Not an area renowned for surfing nor swimming. When I was a judge at the Kata Surf contest a few years ago I saw at least one Thai that had to be rescued by a farang surfer in his match. The farang couldn't complete his wave total because he had to rescue the guy. So I awarded him a lot of extra points because of his heroic gesture! Of course you know all about tuk tuks and taxis, but it seems as though you aren't much of a waterman.

According to another source *(Edited out)*, Mr. Tum couldn't swim. He went out on a surfboard, lost the board and couldn't make it back to the beach...

I do not know the "source" you are quoting, but surely that information can not be correct.

I have never heard of surfer that can't swim. The deceased would have come off his board many times whilst a novice, learning the sport.

RIP

You can paddle a board without being a swimmer.Legrope would have been handy.

• 2 weeks later...