Why is the staff in Japanese aimed establishment always more polite?

MrHammer

I'm not talking about Fuji restaurant but Fuji Market compared to Villa Market.

And Villa Market has the worst, loitering isaan staff money can('t) buy. While the staff in Fuji is diciplined and efficient. Who owns these Villa Market places? I find it hugely annoying to pay for my overprized import stuff while 4 isaans banter as if I wasn't there.

Very poor management. This is fundamentals 101 of running a retail shop.

Is Fuji market and Fuji restaurant managed by the same company?

Fuji -- although not authentic Japanese -- is mostly tasty enough. Especially to the Thai palate and that of people without much experience with Japanese food.

It's a welcome sign of changing tastes, though. When I first came here, most Thais would rather go hungry rather than try a cuisine other than Thai. People back then said you'd never get Thais to eat a pizza, because of the cheese.

Times sure have changed.

Amazing how you old farang geezers can't even comprehend simple sentences.

FUJI SUPERMARKET

Posted Image 

OP states "and it goes for restaraunts as well" thus some of us have decided, obviously foolishly in your eyes, to talk about our own experiences in restaraunts like Fuji. If it was OT it'd have been deleted by a mod. Obviously it ain't.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This topic piqued my curiosity so I did some research.

First, there is no connection between Fuji Market and Fuji Restaurants.

Second (and surprisngly): Fuji Restaurants are owned by a JAPANESE group that has Japanese restaurants in Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar (Fuji, plus the high-end and authentic Shindaikoku and Tsukiji Sushi, which DO cater to Japanese). They also have a chain of Thai restaurants in Japan run under the name "Bangkok Kitchen", a French restaurant in Japan, two Japanese members clubs in Thailand (Marco Polo Club and Moulin Rouge) and a hotel in Japan (the Hibiya City Hotel).

The Fuji restaurants are NOT something that a Thai came up with.

You might not notice it, but I do. Any kind of establishment which caters to Japanese have more professional, more polite employees. This goes if you compare Fuji Market to Villa Market and it goes for restaurants even for ladies of the night.

In Villa Market, staff loiters around and gossips even while keying in your purchases. In Fuji, they are alert and polite at all times.

In farang aimed restaurants, service is random and uneducated. In japanese aimed restaurants, service is prompt and polite.

Japanese aimed girl places have better looking, more polite girls. Farang girl places have rude and unattractive girl mainly.

There are in my opinion only two explanations for this:

1) Farangs have lower expectations and you get what you ask for

2) Thais think lower of farangs than japanese

You forgot number 3 mate.

The staff are afraid the Japanese will go all Ninja on their ass if they get pissed off.

Edited by mca

I guess my point is probably that you get what you deserve in terms of service. It is quite easy to tell the difference if you dress up one day in nice clothes as compared to typical lout outfit.

I also think the Thais have been seeing farangs for so many years now that they don't have any illusions about us anymore. Those who think Thais actually view farang as 'upper class' must be deluded. I think most are able to tell that many who come to Thailand are not the cream of the crop. And they respond in turn. Now, for the japanese, I suspect there are many more couples on legit expat packages here. That is the image I get from walking around Thong Lor and seeing these perfect japanese moms and their perfect healthy and polite children, smiling and milling about their day, while daddy-san is working his ass off in some Thai company.

The average japanese here is simply of a higher social strata and I think that is simply the difference. I don't know how else to put it. These days, dressing up has become somewhat of a necessesity to avoid being lumped in with all the other tourists and down on their luck farangs here.