Organic Thailand

thainomad

Greetings,

I'm interested in finding out more about organic small farms in Thailand particularly outside of Chiang Mai and Hua Hin. These are both areas that my wife and I are interested in settling and starting a small farm situation.

Thank you,

Peter

Agriculture is Thailand's #1 industry making it the perfect victim for the agro-chemical industry. After WWII, the companies persuaded the majority to buy their products with the illusion of profit increase. Unfortunately, Thais are unanimous in nature. Only a few of the wise, older generation knew the consequences of chemical use and maintained their traditional farming.

About 99% of the food grown in Thailand is inorganic and very toxic. The watermelons are injected with red coloring. Most of the corn is GM. Many farmers apply 2-10 times more pesticides than recommended because they ignore the instructions. Durians are especially drenched. Europe even sent back a case because of the high chemical content. Farmers light fields of sugarcane on fire to burn the dead leaves which makes harvesting easier. If you buy fresh pressed sugarcane juice, it is probably not raw. The market food in Thailand has made me very sick. It is extremely difficult to find organic fruit and veggies in the fresh markets. I knew there was some way to obtain organic. My determination has prevailed.

I am now a member of an organization that is associated with almost every organic farm that exists in Thailand. I have visited several farms and observed their dedication to growing poison-free food. People from about 10 different countries come to attend their training courses on sustainable agriculture. Their website is www.asoke.info Click on Insight Into Santi Asoke.

Right now i am staying in Rayong and Chanthaburi which grow massive amounts of fruit. If you come to one of these provinces in the next 2 months, i can supply you with organic durian, mangosteen, rubutan, dragonfruit, mango, long kong, pineapple, jackfruit, banana, coconut, and other tropical fruits. If you come to another part Thailand now or anytime in the future, i can supply you with organic fruit and vegetables from nearby farms.

Many people come to Thailand wanting to eat organic but dont where to go. They are forced to buy whatever is available in the markets. If you seek out chemical-free food in Thailand, I may be your organic guide.

Greetings,

I'm interested in learning more about the organic farming movement in the Chiang Mai area. My thai wife and I are interested in setting ups omething sustainable and looking to meet some of the green community.

- Peter

Hello anyone reading this, I need 60 kilo of fresh organic chicken a month. Can anybody give me a number for a farmer who can supply me?

Would be great and save me a lot of money buying from a small organic shop I visit twice a week.

I just sent this to you on your other post as well:

Hi, My name is Christian Shearer. I run a sustainable education center about 60km north of Chiang Mai, called the Panya Project. www.panyaproject.org We are currently in the process of working chickens into our system, and would love to be your supplier. We are not ceritified organic, and neither would the chicken be, but you are welcome to come to our farm and see that we make our own compost, use a ton of mulch on our veggies, and stay as far away as we can from any of the industrial poisons and medications that are generally used to produce vegetables and meats.

We will soon start a pastured poultry project integrated into our farm, so that the chickens would be kept in a mobile pen, but still have access to fresh pasture every day. This raises their nutrition, their overall health, and improves flavor. It is a step beyond even the industrial organic model of chicken rearing.

I am currently away from the farm, but will be back by the end of January, and would be happy to discuss this with you more.

Feel free to e-mail me at the farm's e-mail address: [email protected]

Best to you, and thanks for supporting the organic food movement.

Christian Shearer

Agriculture is Thailand's #1 industry making it the perfect victim for the agro-chemical industry. After WWII, the companies persuaded the majority to buy their products with the illusion of profit increase. Unfortunately, Thais are unanimous in nature. Only a few of the wise, older generation knew the consequences of chemical use and maintained their traditional farming.
Fertiliser works mate anyone thats telling you different is quite frankly talking out of their ass. There is probably a much higher percentage of natural fertiliser used here Chicken sh!t and Urea are the biggest two, cow coming behind the both as it tends to promote weeds.
About 99% of the food grown in Thailand is inorganic and very toxic. The watermelons are injected with red coloring. Most of the corn is GM. Many farmers apply 2-10 times more pesticides than recommended because they ignore the instructions. Durians are especially drenched. Europe even sent back a case because of the high chemical content.
Where do you get this info from? Have you seen the cost of pesticides no one in their right mind would put 10X the ammount on.
Farmers light fields of sugarcane on fire to burn the dead leaves which makes harvesting easier. If you buy fresh pressed sugarcane juice, it is probably not raw
It helps drive out the snakes as well and is allmost exclusivly used for processing sugar or rum. The fraction of a percent that goes for sugarcaine juce is usually hand cut without buring. You can get much more per ton without buring but it difficult to find people willing to cut it and more expensive when you do.

Have you ever spent anytime on a farm or are just going off some blurb for an organic marketing company ?

:D

If you are a poor Thai farmer and need to feed your family, you go for what seems to return the biggest gain, Pestisides and fertilizers were sold to the farmers as the perfect solution to that problem.

The problem is that once you get into a cycle of heavy pesticide/fertilizer use the land becomes damaged through overuse and overproduction. Then the only way to keep the yields high is to force more fertilizer in and use more pesticides to kill off pests. That damages the land further. It is a viscious cycle.

I have seen some articles about a group of Thai farmers who have tried to break out of the cycle by going back to more traditional farming methods. Problem is that it takes money to change the style of farming, and, at least at firdt, you get lower yields. The lower yields are usually made up by yjr incresased health of the land, but try telling that to a farmer that needs to feed his family.

The banks and those who lend the money to poor farmers often want only the quickest and biggest profit. Why shoild they care if your farm land is degraded by pesticide and fetilizer over-use? They just sell it to someone else if you fail on your farm. They get their money anyhow.

I come from a farm area in the U.S. For small farmers the rule is, you don't make much of a profit, but the bsnks that lend you the money don't lose it. You, the farmer, have to pay the loan back anyhow.

:o

• 1 year later...

My name is Steven Luch and I have started an organic farm here in Chiang Dao, Thailand. I have teamed up with a few gentleman who have been raising organic chickens, goats, vegetables, and fruits here for over 70 years! Is it 100 percent organic? YES IT IS. No antibiotics, no chemicals in fertizlizers, all natural fish, chicken, and goat waste for organic fertilizer, only imported certified organic seed, and land that HAS NEVER had previous chemical usuage. Here is a photo update from my website grandpasorganicfarm.com vegetables on Nov. 30th. As you can clearly see in about 45-60 days we will have an excess of vegetables for sale! I will soon post some video on my website for more info and the process of how we make our fertilizer. I am currently undergoing a natural detox juice therapy for over 245 days now. I plan to offer the therapy once the farm gets finalized. My website for my therapy is mylymeblog.com and is connected with the farm as well. I will be having my first harvest in late January and will be inviting all interested thaivisa members to come and see the farm. I will prepare food and drinks for everyone, and give a seminar with information about what we do. I will post that date soon. Please RSVP. I am very excited. If all goes accordingly, I will soon have organic .....

(please keep in mind this is my first harvest, so no guarantees yet.)

Tomatoes..... Beefsteak, yellow, roma, cherry

corn

radish

cantaloupe

beet

romaine

carrot

cauliflower

sunflower

broccoli

pumpkin

flax seed and oil

habanero peppers

jalapeno pepper

cumin herb

cilantro

oregano

rainbow chard

potatoes

garlic

too many more to list

"There is no future without properly grown organic healthy food."

Please contact Steven Luch at stevenluch a t ya h o o dot com to buy organic vegetables anywhere in the country of Thailand. Buy organic vegetables, organic herbs, teas, pressed juices in cities Chiang Mai , Bangkok, Phuket , Koh Samui , Issan, and all other cities. In thailand they have a service Called Nim see sing where I can send boxes of vegetables to any location in Thailand for very cheap. Please contact about special discounts for bulk and weekly orders. Had to get my sales plug in today. A portion of your sales is dedicated to our natural detox therapy for healing chronic diseases and cancer.

... and I have started an organic farm here in Chiang Dao, Thailand.

While it is al well and good to deploy 'organic' methods on a farm, in Thailand as well as most other countries 'Organic' is a LEGAL term which, in the case of Thailand, denotes certification by Organic Agriculture Certification Thailand (ACT) as per website http://www.actorganic-cert.or.th/ or by http://www.bioagricert-thai.org/

To not have such certification but to claim the term, whatever the legal implications, is a disservice top those who have gone through the certification procedures. There is also The Thai Organic Trade Association (TOTA) at http://www.thaiorganictrade.com for information... but from your pictures it looks like you are off to a very nice start.

• 2 months later...