How to find out what land is actually selling for.

MacChine

I tried searching the forum , and maybe this is a topic better meant for the real estate section but I'm only interested in what land is actually selling for in Phuket.

Any suggestions? A couple of realtor sites have lists of asking prices, but I'm sure those are inflated.

Would the Provincial Land Department give out such info? Anyone bought or sold land recently?

Thanks in advance

The Provincial Land Department has a list of prices, but they are often outdated. People will use these prices as official selling prices on which taxes are based.

Edit: It is probably not the Provincial, but the Municipal Land Department

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1

Recently some 3 to 5 rai blocks of land on the road to big Buddha were sold for 3M baht a rai 1600 SQM

2.5 rais to the acre 4000 SQM and 2,5 acres to the hectacre 10000 Sqm

It would be classified as rural land in other countries and in my opinion is still overpriced

Land becomes valuable when there is a shortage of it, there is no shortage of vacant land in Phuket

Edited by nedkellylives

The only way to find a rough price is to see what the last piece of land sold for, then, add a bit.

Last land sold reasonably close to me sold for 5.5 million a rai over three years ago. This is close to Wat Chalong.

A vacant lot next to me was offered twelve years ago at 2 million a rai. It has been through a couple of owners and the asking price is now 8 million per rai and has been for the last five years. No takers yet.

Thanks much for those posts, OK so the Land Dept will give out this info, then ?

to further the question Do I go to the city hall, the District building or the Land Dept in Phuket town? The land area I want to inquire about is in a city.

Mate you will really be wasting your time trying to find out land sale prices from the land office. Everybody, and I mean everybody, grossly understates the sale values so as to reduce the tax payments.

• Like 2

If you are interested in an actual plot, then ask the owner how much he/she wants for it or better still get a Thai to ask.

You could inquire as to how much similar plots have sold for, as someone else mentioned the Mom n Pop stores normally know.

I don't think sellers really care what the real value is, they will just pick a figure and have a go :)

Some land where I am just sold (2 different not connected in any way plots) at 5mil for 1/4 rai !! We are not in a city and nowhere near the beach. There just seems to be no consistency where land prices are concerned.

Edited by cornishcarlos

I think you might get slightly better answers to your question if you stated:

1) what area you are talking about.

2) whether the land is required to have a sea-view.

3) what size of plot.

etc.

I would suggest you don't waste your time asking the Land Office how much land is selling at. The declared prices are almost never the actual prices paid.

^ Thanks for that suggestion but I am not looking to buy a specific plot , or sell a specific plot of land but merely seek a database or other sources of info of what land is selling for in a general area that is located within a municipality

So my question is now narrowed down to :

Can I get this info from the city register? Or must I go to the Land Dept in Phuket town ?.

Edited by MacChine

^ Thanks for that suggestion but I am not looking to buy a specific plot , or sell a specific plot of land but merely seek a database or other sources of info of what land is selling for in a general area that is located within a municipality

Can I get this info from the city register? Or must I go to the Land Dept in Phuket town ?.

You will not get the information you require from either the "city register" or the "Land Dept" or any other official department.

No government office knows how much land is sold for. (Although they probably have a fair idea, but could care less.)

If you are really interested in purchasing land drive around the areas you are interested in and ask about recent sales and the price asked for property on the market, prices vary a lot for simular properties depending on if they are a genuine seller or someone who has there property on the market hoping a mug will come along and pay the asking price,These type of people do not really want to sell but will at there price and laugh all the way to the bank

You will not get the information you require from either the "city register" or the "Land Dept" or any other official department.

No government office knows how much land is sold for. (Although they probably have a fair idea, but could care less.)

I don;t think your informatin is acurate. while prices may be understated, surely there is a record of transactions so as to levy a tax

If you are really interested in purchasing land drive around the areas you are interested in and ask about recent sales and the price asked for property on the market, prices vary a lot for simular properties depending on if they are a genuine seller or someone who has there property on the market hoping a mug will come along and pay the asking price,These type of people do not really want to sell but will at there price and laugh all the way to the bank

No, I am not really interested in buying, or selling . I am only seeking land values, and so my original questions remain ;

QUESTION ONE

Will the land Dept give me this information ?

QUESTION TWO

Do the municipalities keep records?

I don;t think your informatin is acurate. while prices may be understated, surely there is a record of transactions so as to levy a tax

No, I am not really interested in buying, or selling . I am only seeking land values, and so my original questions remain ;

QUESTION ONE

Will the land Dept give me this information ?

QUESTION TWO

Do the municipalities keep records?

Good Lord!

I give up!

• Like 2

^ Telling me where I cannot get information is very different from telling me where I can , especially as it conflicts with other responses

The Provincial Land Department has a list of prices, but they are often outdated. People will use these prices as official selling prices on which taxes are based.

Municipal, meaning the city? So the or bor tor or district?

^ Telling me where I cannot get information is very different from telling me where I can , especially as it conflicts with other responses

Municipal, meaning the city? So the or bor tor or district?

District (Ampher), be it Kathu or whatever. But as others have pointed out, their list of prices is likely to be heavily outdated. Don't waste your time going there.