Floods

Blackandwhite

Heard no reports of serious flooding southern Buriram. We will have to see if the typhoon that's just made landfall in China will bring further rains. The rice crop will no doubt be affected, they were just about to harvest the early crop. Already compensation is being offered for waterlogged fields.

Yingluck's fleet urgently needed. Our house in Sisaket is completely flooded. Thought it would never happen again. Now time to hop in the boat to get out.

Is it possible that "flood prevention" is similar to the educational system? Several areas are seriously affected in Sisaket.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Heard no reports of serious flooding southern Buriram. We will have to see if the typhoon that's just made landfall in China will bring further rains. The rice crop will no doubt be affected, they were just about to harvest the early crop. Already compensation is being offered for waterlogged fields.

Phrakon Chai in the south of Buriram have big problems.

Read the headlines in Bangkok Post today.

"Is it possible that "flood prevention" is similar to the educational system? "

Similar.......... Nah, identical! Trying to avoid major surgery with a band-aid........

I would say that a lot of people missed a few basic courses at the university when getting their degrees in engineering.

All the work and money being spent in Bangkok to deal with the problem, won't solve the problem.

What is the problem? Development!

Nature on its' own has two main ways of dealing with rainwater, sheet flow and channel flow. When it rains the water sheet flows and a portion is absorbed back into the ground, replenishing the water table. The water eventually with find/develop a channel to carry the excess away.

When man develops a property with roads, houses and parking lots this changes the whole process...... land that was previously sheet flow now becomes channel flow. The amount of water being channelized has now increased. And in the case today, the amount of water is in excess of the capacity of the rivers, so we have flooding.

Left on its' own, nature will eventually deal with this problem by widening and deeping the rivers, but this is a slow process. The only short term solution is to dam the rivers in multiple locations, providing man some control.

The downside is the destruction of habitat for wildlife, relocation of towns and villages. Some dams outside of Chiangmai and Lampang might be able to be raised. Other areas, resevoirs might need to be constructed.

Every square meter of land that is developed upstream of Bangkok (or wherever you might be) just increases the amount of water that needs to be dealt with....... or get used to the floods.

No simple solutions.........

Phrakon Chai in the south of Buriram have big problems.

Read the headlines in Bangkok Post today.

I live in a Sub District of Prachonchai (Khoktoom) and no real problems here. Plenty of rain with forecast for more later this week but have driven into Prachonchai and though seen a fair bit of standing water not seen any problems

was hoping to go into sisaket today to stock up on pies, bacon bread ect, from franks, and also go to big c. I live 30k's from sisaket (surin side) and was told yesterday that it was too flooded to get there. Anyone know if the main roads are passable today. cheers.

The 226 is shut off in 2 places with long diversions (towards Rattanaburi) and then just before Big C.

If I were you I'd get them from Surin/Prasat as its a clear run (I was there from SSK yesterday)

Edited by DILLIGAD