Worst flooding in 26 years - girl, 10, swept away in Prachin Buri

webfact

Thanks Buddha for the government otherwise it would have been the worst flooding in 100 years.

Now that what I call a bold statement from a well educated person, considering that 100 years ago we never had a greedy government that allowed buildings and structures to be built on natural water-ways at the expense of its people.

100 years ago the people were content and happy and cared for each other, not greedy and corrupted.

100 years ago men were men, and settled disputes on a one-to-one bases, not on a 10 to one bases.

100 years ago the people were happy with the skin color, not with the white skin chemicals that they use today because they are ashamed of their natural skin.

100 years ago the Thai smile was a smile of true happiness, not a smile of embarrassment as it is today.

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Edited by Mampara

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Buddha for the government otherwise it would have been the worst flooding in 100 years.

Now that what I call a bold statement from a well educated person, considering that 100 years ago we never had a greedy government that allowed buildings and structures to be built on natural water-ways at the expense of its people.

100 years ago the people were content and happy and cared for each other, not greedy and corrupted.

100 years ago men were men, and settled disputes on a one-to-one bases, not on a 10 to one bases.

100 years ago the people were happy with the skin color, not with the white skin chemicals that they use today because they are ashamed of their natural skin.

100 years ago the Thai smile was a smile of true happiness, not a smile of embarrassment as it is today.

Did you live a 100 year ago to know all this ?

• Like 1

Prachin Buri flood still critical, waters rising

By English News

13800782666342-640x390x2.jpg

PRACHIN BURI, Sept 25 -- The flood situation in Prachin Buri province on the Cambodian border east of Bangkok is still critical as floodwaters coursed through a factory in the 304 Industrial Park.

The Daicel Safety Systems (Thailand) Company, a manufacturer of airbag inflator systems for automobiles located in the 304 Industrial Park in Si Maha Phot district was flooded when rising water overflowed to enter the factory.

Workers are moving production machinery to higher ground while installing water pumps to drain out the flood water.

Industrial park workers are rushing to build a makeshift dyke from 'Big Bag' sandbags to protect more than 500 factories in the estate from the flood.

Flood vicitms in the province face difficulty as they have run out of food and drinking water.

In Phichit, more than 1,000 households including commercial centre in Tap Khlo district was flooded for the third day, with the water level on average between 60-100 centimetres at the river bank at Yan Sue sub-district in the provincial seat to prevent possible waterflow from the river.

The water level in the Chao Phraya Rriver continues to rise after the Chao Phraya Dam discharged water.

The situation at Phong Peng subdistrict was worrisome as the water stood at two metre high and no sign of easing. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-09-25

Prachin Buri is on the Cambodian border???????? Has Cambodia invaded?

I have just received a text news alert from the other paper's service and it advises that 1.79 people in 27 provinces ans being affected by flooding and tragically there are 9 confirmed deaths.

UNDER CONTROL ?

It should be 1.79 Million people. This is a PTP keyboard, it doesn't matter what I want to say it prints its own version.

• Like 1

Sad. Yet this is the only tragedy we have heard about in the newspaper. It would be interesting to know how many The Nation reporters are up in the flood zone wading around in the water up to shoulders getting the facts first hand from poor Thais suffering?

That would require real reporting.

I can not understand how They can have a flood and he can make a statement like this.

"Deputy PM Plodprasop Suraswadi, who chairs the Water and Flood Management Commission, said he had ordered officials not to release any water from Khun Dan Prakan Chon Dam in Nakhon Nayok into Prachin Buri for at least two days.

This dam, which can hold 280 million cubic metres of water, was saving Prachin Buri from worse flooding, he said."

So even though the dam is saving them from worse flooding he is still going to open it up so they can have worse flooding. Maybe he should move his office to the area and give us a report after he releases more water,

Edited by hellodolly

Sad. Yet this is the only tragedy we have heard about in the newspaper. It would be interesting to know how many The Nation reporters are up in the flood zone wading around in the water up to shoulders getting the facts first hand from poor Thais suffering?

That would require real reporting.

I can not understand how the They can have a flood and he can make a statement like this.

"Deputy PM Plodprasop Suraswadi, who chairs the Water and Flood Management Commission, said he had ordered officials not to release any water from Khun Dan Prakan Chon Dam in Nakhon Nayok into Prachin Buri for at least two days.

This dam, which can hold 280 million cubic metres of water, was saving Prachin Buri from worse flooding, he said."

So even though the dam is saving them from worse flooding he is still going to open it up so they can have worse flooding. Maybe he shpuld move his office to the area and give us a report after he releases more water,

He cannot do that, he has bought an expensive pair of suede shoes!!!

@docN

To be fair the PTP had a much bigger wake up call then the Democrats and doing nothing and letting it happen again is just criminal.

What do you mean do nothing? They had a bloody shing dig to congratulate themselves (doing nothing). whistling.gif

• Like 2

I have just received a text news alert from the other paper's service and it advises that 1.79 people in 27 provinces ans being affected by flooding and tragically there are 9 confirmed deaths.

UNDER CONTROL ?

It should be 1.79 Million people. This is a PTP keyboard, it doesn't matter what I want to say it prints its own version.

INSURANCE

No flooding disaster yet: Payungsak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Despite the widespread flooding, Payungsak Chartsutipol, chairman of the state-owned insurance fund for natural-disaster coverage, said on Monday that this is not a disaster yet.

He said that first of all, the Cabinet must declare this as a disaster. However, to be classified as a disaster, the flooding damage must exceed Bt5 billion and the number of the affected must exceed 2 million to make this a disaster, he said. "The current flooding can’t yet be classified as a disaster. As such, the fund’s cash transfers cannot be approved," he said. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669842-floods-inundate-a-quarter-of-thailands-provinces-warnings-issued/

This is gonna get interesting. Will Yinglucks cabinet declare this a disaster and admit things are actually "out of control" making the govt look (more) foolish. Or will they keep up this charade, not declare a disaster and deny people compensation under this fund.

• Like 1

UNDER CONTROL ?

INSURANCE

No flooding disaster yet: Payungsak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Despite the widespread flooding, Payungsak Chartsutipol, chairman of the state-owned insurance fund for natural-disaster coverage, said on Monday that this is not a disaster yet.

He said that first of all, the Cabinet must declare this as a disaster. However, to be classified as a disaster, the flooding damage must exceed Bt5 billion and the number of the affected must exceed 2 million to make this a disaster, he said. "The current flooding can’t yet be classified as a disaster. As such, the fund’s cash transfers cannot be approved," he said. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669842-floods-inundate-a-quarter-of-thailands-provinces-warnings-issued/

This is gonna get interesting. Will Yinglucks cabinet declare this a disaster and admit things are actually "out of control" making the govt look (more) foolish. Or will they keep up this charade, not declare a disaster and deny people compensation under this fund.

Now which of these two scenarios is the cheapest and saves the governments 'face' from all of the lies and blatant denials of the truth?

Therein lies the answer!!

But Plodprasop insists that the water mass now is much less than in 2011. "Two years ago, we had to handle 25-30 billion cubic metres of water. This year, it's less than 15," he said.

Perhaps, Plodprasop, but in 2011, the major surges took place in October, not September. Actually, as much as I dislike PT, I don't blame them for the problems. If there's fault to be assigned, it's on the big shots who continue to expand BKK and its suburbs, when they know the whole mess is sited in a flood plain. There is essentially no gradient, from the sea - until halfway up to Shan State, Burma. If you're going to cover millions of rai of former swamp with cement and asphalt, you're going to exacerbate an already dire situation.

The situation with development here is not at all dissimilar to California where people continually build in high risk areas of fire and flood. The real difference is the response from the state government, and that response usually starts on a more local level, and then as a last resort it's pushed up to the Feds.

I think it's really important to understand that flooding can happen in any country, and it does. The UK and the USA for example have had serious floods recently.. it's nothing new.

There is only so much that man can do to control nature. It's easy to blame the government and I'm sure they could have done more.. but floods will happen.

First, this story is about the sad and needless drowning of a ten year old girl.

If you need to go off topic about flood control or other countries, at least they warn and evacuate. They don't say that everything's fine while it's not. There's also the bit mentioned in the OP about 350 billion baht appropriated for flood control. I wonder what happened to it?

RIP little girl.

I think it's really important to understand that flooding can happen in any country, and it does. The UK and the USA for example have had serious floods recently.. it's nothing new.

There is only so much that man can do to control nature. It's easy to blame the government and I'm sure they could have done more.. but floods will happen.

First, this story is about the sad and needless drowning of a ten year old girl.

If you need to go off topic about flood control or other countries, at least they warn and evacuate. They don't say that everything's fine while it's not. There's also the bit mentioned in the OP about 350 billion baht appropriated for flood control. I wonder what happened to it?

RIP little girl.

In Yingluck's eyes it is not about the death of "a little girl". It is about the 'disastrous' potential for the flooding of an industrial estate.

Why should she be worried about this little girl as she didn't know her and she was no threat to her government!!

• Like 1

I am amazed to read that so few people have supposedly been drowned by the flooding.

We live in the southern half of Surin province where we are told we have had our worst flooding for 50 years. I don't know if that is correct but I do know how fast the flood water rose. Very little concern at 6.00 - 6.30 p.m. when it got dark but by 1.00 a.m. villagers were waking up to find the ground floor of their houses flooded when it had never happened before. Likewise most of the roads became impassable either by flooding on grey roads or by becoming mud baths, washed away or fallen trees on 'dirt' roads. Sisaket has suffered worst than we did and stiil are.

My wife said that she personally knows of 3 people around here who have drowned around here including an 8 year old girl who went in to rescue a 3 year old and through saving him, slipped and was washed away. I wept for that little girl who had died for being a real hero. (Before anyone says 'where was supervision', I agree with them completely BUT now it is too late to save that brave little girl).

I don't know if others around here drowned and would be very surprised if none drowned in Sisaket but the figure of 9 to 15 or whatever that are being quoted are way off being accurate

• Like 1

But Plodprasop insists that the water mass now is much less than in 2011

I am sure that the parents of the 10yo find this very comforting.

This cretin is on record of saying 2-3 days ago 'don't worry' Where do they get these clowns from bah.gif

These people don't know the meaning of planning 'or taking action NOW to mitigate the effects'

Maybe they were never told that, "it wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark"

Don't start blaming the current batch of politicians - it started a long time ago, when man decided to start building their settlements along waterways for convenience. Over time, the huts-on-stilts changed to other types of dwellings, and more and more of them concentrated in one area... then we concreted it all over, took away all the plants that did a good job of subduing the flow of water... then we tried diverting the water, containing it in walls and dams... We should have just let it take its natural course, and learned that the water, not us, dictates how the land is used. Because in the end, it does, and there's nothing we can do to stop it, no matter how much money we spend.

I am amazed to read that so few people have supposedly been drowned by the flooding.

We live in the southern half of Surin province where we are told we have had our worst flooding for 50 years. I don't know if that is correct but I do know how fast the flood water rose. Very little concern at 6.00 - 6.30 p.m. when it got dark but by 1.00 a.m. villagers were waking up to find the ground floor of their houses flooded when it had never happened before. Likewise most of the roads became impassable either by flooding on grey roads or by becoming mud baths, washed away or fallen trees on 'dirt' roads. Sisaket has suffered worst than we did and stiil are.

My wife said that she personally knows of 3 people around here who have drowned around here including an 8 year old girl who went in to rescue a 3 year old and through saving him, slipped and was washed away. I wept for that little girl who had died for being a real hero. (Before anyone says 'where was supervision', I agree with them completely BUT now it is too late to save that brave little girl).

I don't know if others around here drowned and would be very surprised if none drowned in Sisaket but the figure of 9 to 15 or whatever that are being quoted are way off being accurate

I think that when Yingluck spouts all of of these obscenely irresponsible statements she means that it is not affecting HER!!!

She is not getting wet feet so what is all of the fuss about, besides, Plodrasop (stupid name for a stupid person) has it under control so let's just cut out this unneccesary panic that's giving the government a bad press and makes me look even more stupid and abject than my buddy Ploddy!!

• Like 1

I am not sure here but when we were flooded in 2011 it took a long time and it went slow.. not like you describe because it was a different kind of flooding. I think that might be the difference.

Yeah, you've lost me here too. What on earth are you talking about, or have you just forgotten to take your meds this morning?

Yeah, you've lost me here too. What on earth are you talking about, or have you just forgotten to take your meds this morning?

He/She is talking about 100 years ago we did not have politicians and over population plus we had the brains to build the houses high enough so the water would not enter them.wai2.gif

Now we have politicians and we build houses low enough for the water to enter them.

Simply amazing what 100 years of schooling can do. I can just imagine what we will have after another 100 years of schooling.cheesy.gif

He/She is talking about 100 years ago we did not have politicians and over population plus we had the brains to build the houses high enough so the water would not enter them.wai2.gif

Now we have politicians and we build houses low enough for the water to enter them.

Simply amazing what 100 years of schooling can do. I can just imagine what we will have after another 100 years of schooling.cheesy.gif

and 100 years ago Thailand was 90% forest that soaked up the rain and released it slowly over time.

But Plodprasop insists that the water mass now is much less than in 2011. "Two years ago, we had to handle 25-30 billion cubic metres of water. This year, it's less than 15," he said

What's with the constant comparisons to the floods of 2011? Does it make her and government less concerned about it cos it's not yet as serious as the last flood? bah.gif

Next he will claim that the reduction is because the government made it rain less.

But Plodprasop insists that the water mass now is much less than in 2011. "Two years ago, we had to handle 25-30 billion cubic metres of water. This year, it's less than 15," he said

What's with the constant comparisons to the floods of 2011? Does it make her and government less concerned about it cos it's not yet as serious as the last flood? bah.gif

Next he will claim that the reduction is because the government made it rain less.

They have silver based chemical compounds to seed the clouds to make it rain, so surely they can come up with a chemical to hold and store the rain inside the cloud until it lies above the sea.

Mr. Plodprasop should get Yingluck to set up a committee to explore the possibilities of inventing one for the people (and Japanese factories) of and in Thailand!!

Feel sorry for the family

RIP if she is gone

Condolences to the family

I am sure (hope so anyways) that the driver of the truck is devastated too

Will not comment about blame as no one will step up and accept responsibility

Thailand is a country of "who me ... not me ... no way"

They have silver based chemical compounds to seed the clouds to make it rain, so surely they can come up with a chemical to hold and store the rain inside the cloud until it lies above the sea.

Mr. Plodprasop should get Yingluck to set up a committee to explore the possibilities of inventing one for the people (and Japanese factories) of and in Thailand!!

That's as maybe. There is a certain amount of debate on cloud seeding that cannot be held sensibly in Thailand anyway....

Thailand apparently invented a water pusher. Let's just leave it there shall we?

A rain preventer? How about a giant umbrella nation wide to divert the rain to Cambodia?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

That's as maybe. There is a certain amount of debate on cloud seeding that cannot be held sensibly in Thailand anyway....

Thailand apparently invented a water pusher. Let's just leave it there shall we?

A rain preventer? How about a giant umbrella nation wide to divert the rain to Cambodia?

What an excellent idea!! They could make it out of banana leaves sewn together by Isaan rice farmers which will save the government tons in rice subsidy payments!!

Plod has a plan for that, they send up 1000 turbo prop plane tethered to the ground, then the propellers will blow the clouds away.

You beat me to it. However my Plod-plan would be for helicopters turned sideways to do the job.

Is the water pusher as good as the boats with there propellers?