Tourist Arrested In Thailand Over Wife's Murder

george

Guest The Judge
:o  this man is horrible !!! ... surely he's not a christian!! :D  :D  :D

Premised on his reporting the missing person at the Israeli Embassy, I guess not.

I must take a moment, on behalf of Buddhists, to welcome Tess79, providing some of the evidence, that some cultures go backwards.

It really is good to see the elderly and infirm popping in. Have a look at here for a bit of support for the Bingo next Tuesday at First Church.

Hope all went well at the Church Bazaar today, dear.

A hotel maid told investigators that on Friday night she saw rose petals in the couple’s bedroom forming the words “I love U”, Nipon said.
That was probably just his lame-assed way to take the suspicion off of him. Who knows what goes through the heads of psychos?

I think he did it out of guilt when he realized what he'd done! :D

This was probably a crime of passion and,as strange as it may seem,he did love her! :o

Snowleopard.

I pray nobody will ever love me that much,...

Don't pray because love of god won't save you! :o

Study psychology and read the warning signs so you can get the h*ll out of it before you really go to he*l. :D

Anyone can become the unfortunate victim of obsessive love and compulsive stalking! :D

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Police find more body parts

BANGKOK: An Israeli man broke down in tears yesterday when police showed him photographs of what they believe are parts of his wife's skull and other parts of her body.

But Eli Cohen, 36, maintained that he had not murdered his wife, Carol, 26, before dismembering and concealing the corpse.

Police said a member of the public yesterday alerted them to the presence of a human head and right leg at a water filter station of Bangkok's drainage and sewerage system in Samphanthawong district.

Police theorise that Carol was strangled to death before her body was cut into pieces and dumped into a canal.

Cohen yesterday softened his claims of innocence but still denied the charges.

Cohen was on Wednesday charged with first-degree murder when police found a right ankle, a left arm and pieces of human skin floating in Klong Padung Krung Kasem. Earlier, they had discovered a suitcase containing a woman's torso in the same vicinity.

Cohen was detained on Tuesday while filing a missing person's report for his wife with the Israeli Embassy.

Major Kulachet Bangpran said police were still searching for the thighs and the right arm of the woman.

Police will today request the Southern Bangkok Criminal Court to detain Cohen for further questioning.

All the body parts have been sent to the Police Forensic Institute for DNA testing.

--The Nation 2004-02-27

I was married to a nagging nudnick (yiddish for a nag). No human sacrifice here. Just a henpecked husband, and a crime of passion. And any/every ethnic group/nation has this kind of thing. Mr. Conehead should have just snuck away to Pattaya and have left her on her own.

Murder was former Lod drug dealer and police informant

BANGKOK: Thailand Police on Wednesday announced that they have found all of the body parts, including the head of murdered Israeli Carol Cohen.

Eli Cohen, 36, a former Lod drug dealer and police informant, was charged on Wednesday with killing his ex-wife Carol, dismembering and decapitating her body, and dumping the parts in suitcases in a canal in Bangkok.

Cohen has denied the allegations and continues to profess his love for his ex-wife, telling Yediot Aharonot on Thursday, "I love her with all my heart and she is the most precious thing to me in the world."

Police detained Cohen on Tuesday at the Israeli Embassy as he was filing a missing person's report for his wife, Carol, Police Col. Niphon Chareonphol said.

Cohen was arrested after staff at the Bangkok hotel where the couple was staying reported finding a bloodstained towel in their room and a hotel security video showed a man of Cohen's build struggling in the hotel elevator with a suitcase similar to the one found floating in the Bangkok canal containing Carol Cohen's body parts.

On Wednesday, the police held a lineup in order to allow the hotel maid and the taxi driver to identify the suspect.

Bangkok Police are "involved in the investigation on the highest levels," Israeli Counsel in Bangkok Ya'acov Dvir told The Jerusalem Post. "The public is extremely interested in the murder case and it is constantly covered by the local media."

He suggested that the local authorities are giving the case so much attention "since Thailand is afraid that an attack on tourists will harm the local tourism industry."

According to Thai law, a convicted murderer can be sentenced to death by a lethal injection, but Dvir said that he was not sure that this case would warrant such a punishment.

Dvir said that the Israeli Embassy is in contact with Cohen. "Any Israeli who gets into trouble abroad in a criminal case like this receives assistance from the embassy."

--Jerusalem Post 2004-02-27

He was detained at the Israeli embassy?

I thought embassies were technically considered to be small enclaves of foreign territory/jurisdiction within the host country. In that case, Thai police should not have been allowed in. Or are these rules overlooked in cases like this (seems wise to do so).

Does anyone know how this works, properly?

Israeli denies killing wife in Bangkok

BANGKOK - Israeli tourist Eli Cohen denied on Friday that he had killed his wife in a hotel room in the Thai capital, chopped up her body and dumped the parts in a canal.

“I love my wife and I have two children. I am innocent. I never do anything like this,” the dishevelled, bespectacled Cohen told Reuters after he was arraigned in court to be remanded in custody for another 12 days.

“Maybe someone try to make me look like I am doing this, but it’s not me. I hope they find out,” said the 36-year-old, who faces death by lethal injection if found guilty.

Police said they had arrested Cohen on charges of torturing and murdering his wife Carol, 26, and he was expected to be charged formally in court next week.

Cohen was arrested after the discovery of a torso in a suitcase dumped in a Bangkok canal. Police found other body parts, then on Thursday a garbage worker fished a plastic bag out of the canal and discovered it contained a head.

Police said they believed it belonged to Cohen’s wife.

A taxi driver had reported driving Cohen from the canal where the suitcase was found back to his hotel, where the couple’s room was stained with blood, police said.

Security video cameras showed the couple checking into the hotel last Friday with suitcases that resembled the one found in the canal and Cohen taking two bags out just after midnight a few days later, they said.

Cohen told investigators his wife had travelled from Israel to join him in Bangkok after he had made a one-week trip to Australia, Police Colonel Panurat Meepien told Reuters.

--Reuters 2004-02-27

Tourist 'hit before heart was pierced'

BANGKOK - Israeli tourist Carol Cohen, 26, might have been knocked out by a blow to her chin before her lungs and heart were pierced with a knife, allegedly by her husband Eli, the forensic chief said yesterday.

Major-General Wichit Samathiwat, commander of the Forensic Medicine Institute, said an autopsy on body parts retrieved from a Bangkok canal indicated that Mrs Cohen's chin had been hit with a hard object.

He said DNA tests had been completed and the institute was awaiting DNA samples and dental records of Mrs Cohen's parents to be sent from Israel.

Cohen, 36, has claimed that he broke a glass bottle and hurt his hands out of anxiety after his wife disappeared. He was arrested on Tuesday and charged with murdering his wife. He insists he is innocent.

-- The Nation/Asia News Network

Well, the embassy is by itself it's own domain to the country it represents. When foreigners enter such embassy, they are granted protection. Example, as in China, when the Chinese enter the US Embassy, it is off limits to the Chinese Government. They cannot just go in and grab such citizen out of the embassy.

Why the Israeli let the Thai authorities into their compound is beyond me. They went backwards sort of on the main ideals of embassy protocols. To my understanding the only way the Thai authorities can get him is if he left embassy grounds or got a court order granting extradiction to the Thai authorities.

So I wonder?????

Why the Israeli let the Thai authorities into their compound is beyond me.

Possibly because there was overwhelming evidence that the guy hacked his wife to bits, Dave. Even the Israelis aren't too keen on that sort of thing.

Regardless of popular belief, Dave, embassies are not a safe haven for psychopaths and they do tend to be cooperative with the local authorities if discovered there may be one on the premises.

No trip home for Israeli if convicted

BANGKOK: The lack of a prisoner-exchange treaty between Thailand and Israel means that an Israeli murder suspect cannot serve his sentence back in his home country if found guilty, the chief of the Corrections Department said yesterday.

Natthee Jitsawang, director-general of the department, was responding to reports that the suspect, Eli Cohen, asked his lawyer to offer a deal in which Cohen would plead guilty if the Thai government would allow him to serve his sentence in Israel.

“Since Thailand and Israel have no treaty on prisoner exchange, Cohen will have to serve his term here if he is convicted,” Natthee said.

Cohen insists he is innocence.

Cohen, 36, was arrested on Tuesday and charged with murdering his wife, whose body was cut into pieces, stuffed into a suitcase and dumped in Klong Phadung Krung Kasem.

The torso of the body was found in a large black suitcase on Wednesday near a sluice gate in the canal near Government House.

The head was found in a blue plastic bag on Thursday and a leg and some human skin were recovered nearby.

– The Nation 2004-03-01

Hard to believe a guy who planed such a murder will leave evidence so easily.

He has done some planning here by throwing the body parts to a canal.

Evidence for this so far are the statement from a Taxi Driver and a Video Camera carrying two bags from the Hotel.

Imagine, how much Blood should have poured when he cut her Body into pieces? Any clue that they found those Blood traces in the Hotel?

These are questions some of my Thai friends are having. They say that these things are possible as they told me some big cover-up stories like this before.

This guy seems to have given some tips to the police to catch some drug traffickers. Wonder this has happened as a result of it.

Look at Hangthong Murder case. Things here are not what you can read from the face of it. This guy also do not have any history of similar records. I really have my doubts over this case. :o

• 1 month later...

Police wrap up probe of Israeli lady's murder, accuse husband

Prosecution Dept to get report today

BANGKOK: Police have completed their investigation into the murder of an Israeli woman who was killed in Bangkok in February, and are confident they have enough evidence to prove the husband did it.

Police believe Eli Cohen, a 36-year-old Israeli national, killed his wife Carol, 26, and then chopped her body into pieces for easy disposal. He is being detained at Bangkok Special Prison.

Deputy city police chief Chakthip Kunchorn na Ayutthaya said police had enough witnesses and strong evidence to press a charge of murder against Mr Cohen.

One of the witnesses is a taxi driver who drove the Israeli couple from Don Muang airport to the Prince Palace hotel in Bo Bae area, he said.

He quoted the cabbie as saying the couple had a heated argument and the husband threw his wife's mobile phone out of the running taxi.

Another key witness is a trader who said Mr Cohen had bought two knives from him. Tests showed cut marks made by the blades matched cut wounds found on Carol's body.

Mr Cohen was also caught on video tape quarrelling with his wife in the hotel's lobby, and later dragging along suitcases believed to have contained her body parts, before catching a taxi on Feb 21. Tests showed blood stains found in the cab matched Carol's blood type. The case goes to prosecutors today.

--Bangkok Post 2004-04-07

chopping up a body - hate and coverup - he took the time.......... very evil!

crime of passion, definately not - to skin a person, you have to hate!

Very sad, as it was his wife! - what could of went wrong?

very sad indeed. N o doubt these people had problems before coming to LOS and probably came to try and fix their marriage. Too bad they didn't succceed.

They say that these things are possible as they told me some big cover-up stories like this before.

This guy seems to have given some tips to the police to catch some drug traffickers. Wonder this has happened as a result of it.

What a hellish nightmare this guy is going through if this is true. In LOS anything's possible.

Thais charge Israeli with grisly murder of wife

BANGKOK: -- An Israeli tourist accused of killing his wife, chopping up her body and dumping it into a Bangkok canal was formally charged with murder by Thai prosecutors on Monday.

Eli Cohen, 36, was arrested in February and accused of murdering his 26-year-old wife, Carol, after the discovery of a torso in a suitcase dumped in a canal.

Other body parts and a head were found later in the canal and forensic tests confirmed the dismembered body was his wife.

"Based on the case built by police, and available evidence, I believe he killed his wife," a prosecutor told Reuters after filing the charges with the Bangkok Criminal Court.

"The proof of the crime is clear, conclusive, and sufficient for us to charge him in court," he added.

Cohen is charged with violent and premeditated murder. He is also accused of removing, hiding and destroying his victim to cover up the crime.

Cohen, who denies the charges, is due to give a formal plea in court on April 22. If found guilty he faces a maximum sentence of death by lethal injection.

Police said in February a taxi driver had reported driving Cohen from the canal where the suitcase was found to his hotel, where the couple's room was stained with blood.

They said security video cameras also showed the couple checking into the hotel with suitcases that resembled the one found in the canal, and Cohen taking two bags out just after midnight a few days later.

--Reuters 2004-04-12

I pray and hope that she was not tortured to death.  This kind of murder calls for execution, but he should feel the pain as they take piece by piece off of his body before he dies.  Eye for eye.

Execution is too kind. Life at the BKK Hilton dii gwa.

• 2 months later...

Update:

Court petitioned for extradition of suspected wife-killer

ISRAEL: -- Attorney Yoram Sheftel told the High Court of Justice on Wednesday it must order the state to make every effort to extradite Eli Cohen from Thailand because otherwise he will face the death penalty, which Israel opposes in principle.

The case is being heard by Deputy Supreme Court President Eliahu Mazza, Justice Asher Grunis, and Acting Justice Jonathan Adiel. The court said it would hand down its decision at a later time. It gave the State Attorney's Office until the end of July to clarify whether Thai law automatically commutes the death penalty to a life sentence for murder suspects who confess to the crime. Sheftel said if this is indeed the law in Thailand, he would withdraw the petition.

Cohen was indicted in Bangkok on April 22 on charges of killing and dismembering his former wife, Carole, and dumping her body into a river. The maximum sentence for such a crime in Thailand is death.

Sheftel argued that the Extradition Law allows the government to ask for the extradition of Israelis who live in Israel and are suspected of committing a crime abroad in order to try them at home.

Furthermore, he emphasized, Cohen faces the death sentence in Thailand for a crime for which he would not be put to death if convicted in Israel.

"Why is the state not interested in extraditing a citizen who faces the death sentence abroad," asked Sheftel. "Don't forget, we are talking about the life of a human being."

Sheftel told the court Cohen is willing to sign an agreement with the state whereby the court could rule on the charges against him without hearing witnesses.

Irit Kohn, head of the International Section of the State Attorney's Office, told the court the Justice Ministry had not appealed to Thailand to extradite Cohen because it did not want to set a precedent. Many families of Israelis who are on trial in foreign countries for various crimes appeal to the Justice Ministry to intervene.

Acting on Cohen's case would set a precedent and open the floodgates to many such demands, she said.

Furthermore, the concept of holding a trial without hearing witnesses contradicts the basis of Israeli criminal procedures and therefore could not be done, she added.

Kohn said the Justice Ministry considered Sheftel's request in writing and then reconsidered it after talking to him in person. The state lawyers seriously weighed the issues, including the practical costs and benefits of asking Thailand for Cohen's extradition, the dangers from the precedent that this would create, and the question of whether or not the Thai authorities might have made a mistake in charging Cohen. After considering these issues, the Justice Ministry came to the same conclusion, not to try to bring Cohen to Israel.

Kohn said Justice Minister Yosef Lapid has promised to appeal to the Thai government if Cohen is sentenced to death.

--jpost.com 2004-06-24

I agree to the Israely opposition in principle on the death penalty.

However, the crime was committed in Thailand, so the Thai courts should judge, I do not see any reason for extradicting this fellow.

Usually, the Thais will comute to life-sentence in a Thai prison. Wouldn't this better punishment than killing?

• 1 month later...

Update:

Israeli wife killer to stand trial in Thailand

Israel will not request the extradition of Eli Cohen, the Israeli tourist charged with the brutal slaying of his wife Carol while on vacation in Thailand, the High Court ruled on Thursday.

If convicted, Cohen could face the death penalty under the Southeast Asian state's criminal justice code, ynet reported.

Cohen has beseeched Israel to demand his extradition, wanting to stand trial in a country without a death penalty.

Cohen is accused of killing his wife, dismembering her body, and dumping her in a river. The surfacing of a suitcase with her severed torso led to searches and subsequent discovery of additional body parts.

-- Jerusalem Post 2004-08-04