Postal service

Not sure if this is the right forum but will post here.

I have to send some fairly important documents (letter size) to the UK and would like to know if there is an alternative to using the expensive couriers such as Fedex, DHL, etc.

I believe that Thai Post can offer a service but how reliable is it and do they provide proof of receipt like the courier firms do.

Any feedback welcome.

Not sure if this is the right forum but will post here.

I have to send some fairly important documents (letter size) to the UK and would like to know if there is an alternative to using the expensive couriers such as Fedex, DHL, etc.

I believe that Thai Post can offer a service but how reliable is it and do they provide proof of receipt like the courier firms do.

Any feedback welcome.

FedEx is far from expensive and if the documents are even fairly important that be my choice. Pretty sure Thai post would have something but least with FedEx have the online tracking that 99% of the time is working as it should etc etc I use them all the time "peace of mind" ;)

When I used Thai Post EMS to USA it wasn't fully trackable. I sent a documents to IRS in US and there was no tracking after arriving in USA. I contacted Thai Post, and they tried to help. But they said they needed info from USA postal service who didn't reply to their emails. I found out about 2 months later that the documents had arrived because I got a reply from the IRS. But the tracking in that case was useless. Sound like the USA postal service was at fault in this case.

In your case, if Royal Mail mess up, you won't know what the documents are.

But every other letter I've sent with Thai Post over 3 years has arrived safely. I've never had a letter go missing, and I usually send normal mail. I now can't see the point of tracking, as either it gets there or it doesn't/

Use EMS at post office

You can track EMS from start to finish in UK, or wherever you are sending something, using the Thai Post Office tracking service. I use it frequently to Europe, Asia and the US and have found it far better than any of the courier services. Most recent item sent from Pattaya to Incheon South Korea. In the hands of the recipient in 48 hours and every step of the way chronicled on the Post Office tracker, including the name of the person who received/signed for it.

When I used Thai Post EMS to USA it wasn't fully trackable. I sent a documents to IRS in US and there was no tracking after arriving in USA. I contacted Thai Post, and they tried to help. But they said they needed info from USA postal service who didn't reply to their emails. I found out about 2 months later that the documents had arrived because I got a reply from the IRS. But the tracking in that case was useless. Sound like the USA postal service was at fault in this case.

In your case, if Royal Mail mess up, you won't know what the documents are.

But every other letter I've sent with Thai Post over 3 years has arrived safely. I've never had a letter go missing, and I usually send normal mail. I now can't see the point of tracking, as either it gets there or it doesn't/

Obviously the tracking shown by the Thai Post Office in another country depends on that country's tracking system. If you've tracked anything using the USPS tracking service you know it sucks big time. That said, I've still found the service reliable wherever I sent anything by EMS as opposed to registered.

One time I was tracking something sent from the US via UPS or DHL, I forget which. It showed that it had reached Bangkok and then it showed it was in Nepal. Calling the courier got me nothing more than apologies since they were clueless as to what happened to it. It did arrive eventually, but there was never any explanation regarding the route it took.

Same problem sending cheques to the US from UAE using DHL. The tracking was a joke.

Edited by Suradit69

Just register the letter when you post it, costs next to nothing as opposed to the hideous charge for EMS and it's trackable online. Used it many times for banking, insurance and HMRC correspondence and never had a problem. Post gets to it's destination in exactly the same period of time, i.e. 5 days Bangkok to delivered in UK.

Thai Post have EMS, fully trackable to destination and arrives in the UK in around 5 days, will be around 600 Baht for documents and you will get the recipt, very reliable service

Have always had excellent service from Thai Post. Any delivery problems seem to start in the UK.