Olympics in Japan a boon to Thai tourism and construction

webfact

I seriously doubt Thailand will provide any 'usable' assistance to Japan esp. in engineering/construction expertise

or human capital during their preparation for the 2020 Olympics.

Oh come on of course Thailand can assistance with human capital, Thai air could provide cheap tickets to Tokyo for all the bar girls for the duration of the games

Not wishing to prick Nuntawan's bubble but two observations come immediately to mind.

First, the only country that refers to Thailand as the 'Kitchen of the World' is Thailand.

And second, Japan is just as renowned worldwide for it's food as Thailand is. I'm sure they will be rather keen to promote their own culinary delights at their Olympic Games.

You are of course right with respect to the culinary delights of Japan vs Thailand - and take note of how busy the Japanese restaurants are even here in LOS. But if you watch BBC World at all, you'll note that the Kitchen of the World advert is run at least on an hourly basis. It's well made and must have cost TAT a fortune.

It would be interesting to know how much foodstuffs are exported to Japan on a yearly basis. They do produce their own rice; mainly, if not exclusively, for the home market. Last time I was there (2011) you could pay $100 for a single bowl of their best, although I can't remember the name of the particular rice.

I believe it is called "China White".Posted Image

Nah! It's called Koshihikari.

Now if Thailand could make their Hom Mali that exclusive, the warehouses would be empty and the Isaan farmers would all be driving Ferraris! But that of course has little or nothing to do with the Japanese Olympics!

Does she really believe that Thailand is seen as a world class supplier of products for the construction industry? There are undoubtedly some very good suppliers here, and I know some. But they don't have an export market. Concentrate on the protected home market where they can compete in their traditional ways.

I love all Thai food and regard it as one of the best cuisines in the world. But, Japanese is fantastic too. Why would people go to the olympics in Japan and eat Thai? If she thinks people visiting the Japanese olympics will nip over to Thailand for a few days R&R, then she's really lost the plot.

Maybe the PM/DM can do some quick deals with Vlad so Thailand can get the noodle and rice concessions at the Russian winter games. wink.png New there was a good reason to visit Russia.

"Materials for the construction of hotels, highways, sport-related infrastructure, furniture and decorative products will be in great demand in Japan and Thailand’s chance of selling the goods to Japan is high, she said."

i don't think so. Thai materials are mostly made in china and highly sub-standard. first thailand needs to learn how to build structures that are

especially 'earthquake' resistant in which Thai have no knowledge of this. secondly, there will be no short cutting, no corruptive colluding and fillings of foreign and styrofoam's materials inside walls.

• Like 1

Not wishing to prick Nuntawan's bubble but two observations come immediately to mind.

First, the only country that refers to Thailand as the 'Kitchen of the World' is Thailand.

And second, Japan is just as renowned worldwide for it's food as Thailand is. I'm sure they will be rather keen to promote their own culinary delights at their Olympic Games.

Thirdly, why on earth is Japan going to look to Thailand for expertise in the construction industry...?!

Contrary to the views of people on this forum, there are a few Thai companies that do have expertise of Japanese construction standards as well experience working on construction projects in Japan. MCS Steel is one such company providing structual steel and engineering for Japan.

Edited by Time Traveller

Thirdly, why on earth is Japan going to look to Thailand for expertise in the construction industry...?!

Contrary to the views of people on this forum, there are a few Thai companies that do have expertise of Japanese construction standards as well experience working on construction projects in Japan. MCS Steel is one such company providing structual steel and engineering for Japan.

Well there ye go! We can all sleep easier in our beds tonight