Olympics in Japan a boon to Thai tourism and construction

webfact

Olympics in Japan a boon to Thai tourism and construction
By English News

13811103594549-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 7 – Japan’s hosting of the 2020 Olympic Games may contribute to tourism and the construction sector in Thailand, according to a senior Commerce Ministry official.

Nuntawan Sakuntanaga, International Trade Promotion Department director general, attributed Thailand’s positive export trend in the final quarter of this year to Japan’s preparations for the Olympic Games in Tokyo.

The country’s exports in the first eight months of the year were down 4 per cent while a 2 per cent growth was predicted for Q4, she said.

“The central bank of Japan’s economic stimulus measures since early this year has strengthened the country’s economy, exports and confidence in the business sector, contributing to surging stocks, depreciating yen and economic expansion,” she said.

She said Thailand should cash in on the opportunity to promote Thailand’s exports and investments in Japan particularly businesses involving tourism and construction.

She said Thailand’s food industry under the “Thai Kitchen to the World” policy could penetrate the Japanese market and attract foreign tourists to the country during the sports event.

Materials for the construction of hotels, highways, sport-related infrastructure, furniture and decorative products will be in great demand in Japan and Thailand’s chance of selling the goods to Japan is high, she said.

Phatai Sooksommai, executive director of Thailand's International Trade Promotion Office in Japan, said the Tokyo administration has allocated 400 million yen (Bt120 million) to build new stadiums and athletes villages for the Olympic and Paralympic games.

Additional budgets will be earmarked for other infrastructure developments such as airport runways, new railways and train stations, he said, adding that Japanese contractors might have to find joint ventures for some of the construction projects.

Mr Phatai said the pre-Olympic mega projects will lead to the massive employment of at least 152,000 labourers nationwide. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-07

Nuntawan Sakuntanaga, International Trade Promotion Department director general, attributed Thailand’s positive export trend in the final quarter of this year to Japan’s preparations for the Olympic Games in Tokyo.

But the final quarter of the year has just started 7 days ago isn't it ? Another announcement taken out of thin air seemingly.

• Like 1

"Phatai Sooksommai, executive director of Thailand's International Trade Promotion Office in Japan, said the Tokyo administration has allocated 400 million yen (Bt120 million) to build new stadiums and athletes villages for the Olympic and Paralympic games." -

400 million yen is about $4 million. So perhaps Phatai Sooksommai can explain exactly how this $4million is going create any significant impact on Thailand businesses?

• Like 2

"Phatai Sooksommai, executive director of Thailand's International Trade Promotion Office in Japan, said the Tokyo administration has allocated 400 million yen (Bt120 million) to build new stadiums and athletes villages for the Olympic and Paralympic games." -

400 million yen is about $4 million. So perhaps Phatai Sooksommai can explain exactly how this $4million is going create any significant impact on Thailand businesses?

How's it going to help tourism?

Thing is there has been so much bad news they really need to offset it with good news even though its complete BS they don't want to admit the economy of Thailand is slowly going down. The red leaders messed this up pretty badly. But soon the economy will go a bit better now that the budget is approved (sadly) this will be a short term thing while long term the debt will drag Thailand down.

• Like 1

It's a mistake.

Should be BILLION, not MILLION.

Tokyo can build a sports stadium for 2.4 pounds sterling? How much did the new Wembley cost? Or the Emirates stadium?

The PM has instructed all government employees to only talk on a positive note, she did not tell them to restrict their positive comments to anything that affects Thailand directly.

I am waiting for the TAT to usenegative long range weather and economic forcasts in the rest of the world as a positive inducement for more tourist to pack up and move/visit Thailand to meet their forcasts.

She said Thailand’s food industry under the “Thai Kitchen to the World” policy could penetrate the Japanese market and attract foreign tourists to the country during the sports event.

This statement is disambiguous. To which country would the foreign tourist be attracted to? Is it proposed that the tourists would be drawn to Japan by all that lovely (?) Thai food or that tourists would make a 2,600 mile detour to visit Thailand? Either way, dream on.

There might of course be a slight rise in Japanese tourists visiting Thailand taking the opportunity to get away from all those energetic young people running, jumping and throwing things and extravagant displays reminiscent of MGM in the heydays of Hollywood.

I suggest that Japan carefully screen all Thai visitors to ensure that they are not admitting scam artistes for whom the Olympics will be a magnet, and for Thai politicians fleeing from justice.

• Like 2

Tourism tourism tourism, and nothing but tourism,... ONLY tourism, let's sing that song until the point of propaganda, no return, until our brains freakout....

A plane crashes the landing lane, what's the solution to the problem??? Promote tourism

A serial killer is on the run, what's the solution to the problem??? Promote tourism

The US government has shut down, and what's the solution to the problem??? Promote tourism

There is a flood going on in the entire nation, but What's the solution to all problems??? Tourism

What's the solution to all of Thailand's problems???

a) tourism

B) tourism

c) tourism

d) tourism

or d) tourism

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif You have the multiple choice... but pick carefully... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

The newspaper is pumping 2020 already for a "Thai boon." The Thais are desperate for some positive economic news. Maybe tomorrow the newspaper can run a story on the 2020 Tokyo Olympics seven years out juxtaposed with one of poor Thais standing in water up to their shoulders holding on to a Thai plastic bucket.

I think even building an outdoor john in any third world country also benefits Thai tourism...I just checked with the Tourisim Authority of Thailand to confirm but I'm not sure the rep I talked to understood that much English so there may have been a communications disconnect.

Oh you stupid posters!w00t.gif Don't you understand, the big THANK YOU in the OP was aimed at Thailand.

The Japanese are so happy, that the Thais will help them to make sure that their olympics are successful!

Some of the Thai "engineers" have even promised to stay after the olympics to help them develop their railway system, and their runways and most importantly a floodwarningsystem!whistling.gif

THANK YOU Thailand.

• Like 1

"Materials for the construction of hotels, highways, sport-related infrastructure, furniture and decorative products will be in great demand in Japan and Thailand’s chance of selling the goods to Japan is high, she said."

Obviously she was "schooled" in Thailand, where "education " is not a factor. Perhaps someone should inform her that there is a country called "China" whose high production of materials needed for most projects and fabricated low value of its currency makes it a better option for supplying the needed products for construction. In addition, who does she think Japan will turn to for goodwill...A country that can send millions of tourists or a country that can send 20,000 and is under the delusion that it is the 'Kitchen of the World'? Especially when Japan considers its food, and rightly so, to be one of the major cuisines of the world. When it comes to worldwide major construction projects, Thailand is not even an afterthought.rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by jaltsc

Not wishing to prick Nuntawan's bubble but two observations come immediately to mind.

First, the only country that refers to Thailand as the 'Kitchen of the World' is Thailand.

And second, Japan is just as renowned worldwide for it's food as Thailand is. I'm sure they will be rather keen to promote their own culinary delights at their Olympic Games.

Thirdly, why on earth is Japan going to look to Thailand for expertise in the construction industry...?!

• Like 1

Yah really think so?

With the floods, the molestation, the scams, the accidental deaths and the fact that a lot of tourists and even expats are Facebook, tweeting their horrible experiences and third rate service, I would think tourists would find a better 3rd world place to have a holiday. A place that doesn't have terrorists as part of the tourist industry!

Its been a while since I have seen a tourist with a smile on their face... They look like they are in a rush to get away from something.

Edited by thhMan

Not wishing to prick Nuntawan's bubble but two observations come immediately to mind.

First, the only country that refers to Thailand as the 'Kitchen of the World' is Thailand.

And second, Japan is just as renowned worldwide for it's food as Thailand is. I'm sure they will be rather keen to promote their own culinary delights at their Olympic Games.

You are of course right with respect to the culinary delights of Japan vs Thailand - and take note of how busy the Japanese restaurants are even here in LOS. But if you watch BBC World at all, you'll note that the Kitchen of the World advert is run at least on an hourly basis. It's well made and must have cost TAT a fortune.

It would be interesting to know how much foodstuffs are exported to Japan on a yearly basis. They do produce their own rice; mainly, if not exclusively, for the home market. Last time I was there (2011) you could pay $100 for a single bowl of their best, although I can't remember the name of the particular rice.

The biggest thing Thailand can contribute is their Thainess. They can show the Japanese how to sneer at tourist, double price them, con them at every opportunity and then tell them if they don't like it they can go home..

Edited by expat888
  • Like 2

The biggest thing Thailand can contribute is their Thainess. They can show the Japanese how to sneer at tourist, double price them, con them at every opportunity and then tell them if they don't like it they can go home..

I haven't had that happen to me. I must be fortunate indeed. The term, "Thainess", is interesting in that it can mean something positive or negative, depending on the disposition of the person using it.

I dont think that Thailand is in a position to help the Japanese build any runways or railway lines or rolliing stock. In fact they cant build sweet FA. Just look at the flood barrier with bits missing cos the the locals dont like it cos it spoils the view !

You are of course right with respect to the culinary delights of Japan vs Thailand - and take note of how busy the Japanese restaurants are even here in LOS. But if you watch BBC World at all, you'll note that the Kitchen of the World advert is run at least on an hourly basis. It's well made and must have cost TAT a fortune.

It would be interesting to know how much foodstuffs are exported to Japan on a yearly basis. They do produce their own rice; mainly, if not exclusively, for the home market. Last time I was there (2011) you could pay $100 for a single bowl of their best, although I can't remember the name of the particular rice.

I believe it is called "China White".wink.png

I seriously doubt Thailand will provide any 'usable' assistance to Japan esp. in engineering/construction expertise

or human capital during their preparation for the 2020 Olympics.

There should however, be an upsurge of Thai tourists during the period.

"Materials for the construction of hotels, highways, sport-related infrastructure, furniture and decorative products will be in great demand in Japan and Thailand’s chance of selling the goods to Japan is high, she said."

Obviously she was "schooled" in Thailand, where "education " is not a factor. Perhaps someone should inform her that there is a country called "China" whose high production of materials needed for most projects and fabricated low value of its currency makes it a better option for supplying the needed products for construction. In addition, who does she think Japan will turn to for goodwill...A country that can send millions of tourists or a country that can send 20,000 and is under the delusion that it is the 'Kitchen of the World'? Especially when Japan considers its food, and rightly so, to be one of the major cuisines of the world. When it comes to worldwide major construction projects, Thailand is not even an afterthought.rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Quit smokin' that stuff Man ! Japan don't dig on Chineese S#it ...wai2.gif

I seriously doubt Thailand will provide any 'usable' assistance to Japan esp. in engineering/construction expertise

or human capital during their preparation for the 2020 Olympics.

There should however, be an upsurge of Thai tourists during the period.

There could be a drop in the amount of Japanese tourists to Thailand.

whistling.gif I can not for the life of me see howJapan holding the Olympic events in Japan is in any way going to help the Thai economy.

Unless of course, this lazy government is going to get off it's collective a---holes and do something to promote Thailand in Japan at that time.

So far all they have done is spout their usual verbal bull___t like they usually do.

All talk and no action.