Thai Transport Min Chadchart against proposed vehicle ban

webfact

TRAFFIC
Chadchart against proposed vehicle ban

The Nation

30216776-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt is opposed to the proposed ban on old cars in Bangkok.

He said Thursday that the city is not ready for that because of the inefficient public transport system. The system - covering public buses and trains - must be improved first as alternative transport modes.

He added that the ban would thus affect a number of people.

"The pros and cons should be weighed thoroughly as this will affect a number of people," he said.

Bangkok’s police chief earlier this week said that old vehicles, aged 10 years or older, may be banned in Bangkok to ease traffic woes. He said this is one of 16 traffic-management plans.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-10

• Like 1

I think this lad deserves a bit of credit even though we know who he represents.

He did make some effort to ride trains and buses and try and make improvements. His response to the police chief's bizarre and naive suggestion re 10 year old vehicles being banned from Bangkok is refreshing to say the least.

8/10 Chadchart. Now be a good boy and run along.

• Like 2

Enforce the vehicle inspection laws and get the ones that don't pass off the road. My truck is 16 years old but is kept in good condition. However, it has never gone through one of the "required" inspections before I can re-register it. I just give money and the paperwork to my insurance agent and a week later I have the new sticker all obtained with a certified inspection report!

Enforce the vehicle inspection laws and get the ones that don't pass off the road. My truck is 16 years old but is kept in good condition. However, it has never gone through one of the "required" inspections before I can re-register it. I just give money and the paperwork to my insurance agent and a week later I have the new sticker all obtained with a certified inspection report!

I certainly don't know, but I suspect it's less about whether the old cars are fit, and more about class warfare. Get rid of the old cars so the rich kids have more room to drive their brand new ones fast enough to kill motorcycle policemen on the way home. It's nice to see some common sense prevail.

Plenty of Bangkokians driving their old cars forever. This rule would "hurt" the rich and the kids of the rich who get their mom or dad's hand-me-down ride. The concept is great for Singapore where laws are applied evenly but its scandalous here to apply laws without favoring the upper class. Enacting laws for the greater good here requires a strong arm to get 'er done.

I find driving in Thailand easy compared to other countries (including some parts of the USA).......

Yes....you do have expect the unexpected but in many ways the people here drive in a respectful manner. Once you learn the areas/corners/roads and the behavior tendencies at those areas it's easier to expect the unexpected. You can usually spot the motorcyclists that will soon be eliminating themselves.....

It's the infastructure that quite often creates the problems along with the fact of no moving violation "traffic cops" to stop the drunks/overly aggressive/unlicensed/unisured off the street at the point of the violation.

After driving in countries where I'd swear they were suidical.....too macho....or just plain stupid - I find Thailand not to be so bad.....there are many countries with NO road signs (any language) and much worse roads with desperate people along the way in places you might be forced to stop (parts of New York, New Orleans, Oakland, Sacramento, Salinas, Los Angeles, Houston, Phoenix - and on and on fit this catagory) .....I'll take Thailand just fine.....

Edited by pgrahmm

if the rules were observed a little more than so many cars would need repairs it would boost the local economy .. make life safer all round and remove some pollution . My sport rider is ten years old , serviced at the Toyota main dealer regularly and fpasses the inspection without difficulties. I expect it will last another 20 years without difficulty and still be in good condition ...