Cheap digital camera with wide-angle lens

simon43

The General forum is maybe the best place for this query.

I want to take some photos of my hotel rooms, for uploading to the agent website. In order to get all features of the room in the photo, it's necessary to use a wide-angle camera lens.

Previously (many years ago), I had a Kodak digital camera that sported both a standard and a wide-angle lens, (it was developed for estate agents/realtors). That camera is now broken...

Can anyone more knowledgable than me suggesta make & model of digital camera that provides a wide-angle facility, typically down to 22mm or better? (I want to avoid having to purchase an expensive SLR if a cheaper, digital camera is available that meets my needs).

Simon

Hi

The Samsung WB150f will go down to 24mm, and costs around 6000 Baht or less, not too sure if this is good enough for your needs.

Self Timer Delay:10 sec, 2sec, Additional Features:Direct print, USB 2.0 compatibility, built-in speaker, date/time stamp, DPOF support, sharpness control, digital image rotation, PictBridge support, saturation control, face retouch, 720p HD movie recording, brightness control, contrast control, USB charging, Auto Contrast Balance (ACB), Exif Print support, Smart AUTO, Battery Type:Samsung SLB-10A, Details:1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( included ), Camera Flash:Built-in flash, Connector Type:1 x Hi-Speed USB ¦ 1 x composite video/audio output, Memory Card Slot:SD card, Depth:2.3 cm, Width:10.7 cm, Weight:188 g, Height:6 cm, Type:3" LCD display, Resolution:460,000 pixels, Display Features:Built-in, Humidity Range Operating:5 - 85%, Max Operating Temperature:40 °C, Min Operating Temperature:0 °C, White Balance:Custom, automatic, presets, Special Effects:Old Movie, fisheye, soft focus, Sketch, miniature, Cartoon, Classic, Retro, cross filter, Paint, Exposure Modes:Programme, automatic, manual, aperture-priority, shutter-priority, Exposure Metering:Multi-segment, centre-weighted, spot, Light Sensitivity:ISO 100, ISO 800, ISO 400, ISO 200, ISO 80, ISO 1600, ISO 3200, ISO auto, White Balance Presets:Cloudy, tungsten light, daylight, fluorescent light (cool white), fluorescent light (warm white), Shooting Programs:Portrait mode, action, macro, text, backlight, beach/snow, night portrait, Blue Sky, scenery, fireworks, panorama assist, night scene, sunset, foliage, dawn, tripod, white, macro text, magic frame, Auto Exposure Bracketing:3 steps, Exposure Compensation:±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps, Min Focus Range:80 cm, Macro Focus Range:5cm, Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera:24 - 432mm, Type:Schneider 18 x zoom lens - 4 - 72 mm - f/3.2-5.8, Zoom Adjustment:Motorised drive,

Samsung nx1000 is good and cheap. Can even take 3d pics. Has wide angle. Cost me about 400$.

Krisb, could you please tell where you bought it - in Thailand or ordered from US? Do you use Kit lens?

Want to buy this one... are you really satisfied with the quality?

Samsung nx1000 is good and cheap. Can even take 3d pics. Has wide angle. Cost me about 400$.

Krisb, could you please tell where you bought it - in Thailand or ordered from US? Do you use Kit lens?

I've been looking for sometime and haven't made a decision on the model yet, Gateway Mall Ekkamai has some very good camera shoppes, the mall is deserted so the prices are very low, a choice of at least 5 or 6 and the staff seem knowledgable. The other camera store I like is at Terminal 21 top floor across from the cinema very knowlegable staff.

Very happy with it. I got it in Australia. I use the lens that came with it which would suit your purpose of shooting hotel rooms. It isn't a good lens for like scenic or like distance shots(sorry I'm not sure of the correct terms) but it takes lovely pics. Not quite as nice as say the sony nex,or not dslr quality but for the money it's great and not far off the sony nex. There are different lenses now available for it but I don't have any others so can't comment there. Try youtube for the reviews of it, it's got a heap of cool features like it links to samsung phones using wifi, does 3d pics including 3d panoramic wide shots. Has full 1080p hd video which looks really great on the telly. Think it's 22mega pixel images, the list goes on and on. Like I said, youtube for full reviews from a camera pro. Don't think you will be dissapointed mate. Come back after you buy whatever you get and let us know what you got. Cheers.

I know up on 1 of the levels of mbk there's a good camera shop. I bought some things for my dslr and they were well priced. Got rid of the dslr now, to much setting them up and to bulky when you just wanna turn on, point and shoot style camera. Much more convenient imo small cameras. Quality wise nothing beats a dslr. Can't wait till they fit that quality into a small compact camera.

• Like 1

you could also use a camera that stiches multi shot panoramas.

or use any camera and stitch your panoramas yourself in photoshop

That would not work for him. He is using the old real estate trick of using a wide angle lens which distorts the picture in such a way that the room looks bigger than it is.

I suspect for the full effect you would need something more like a 12-16mm lens. Arguably you'd be better off hiring a photographer experienced in the field, rather than publishing photos that will inevitably look home-made, regardless of the lens.

He is using the old real estate trick of using a wide angle lens which distorts the picture in such a way that the room looks bigger than it is.

In fact, I'm not trying to make the room look bigger - I'm simply trying to fit everything in! But I'm certainly aware that the distortion of a wide-angle lens will make the room look bigger, (which is why you should always check the room dimensions when booking a hotel...

I think the best suggestion is to hire a professional photographer for a few hours.

Anyone know of a suitable photographer in Phuket? Mods perhaps move this thread to the Phuket forum now?

Simon

Just buy a note 3..you have all in one. Phablet, camera.

Why u want pay for someone.? It would take me 10 seconds to make a good pic of your room with my Android.

why would someone pay a lot for a good website and marketing and then ruin it by using substandard pics ? choosing a pro to take the pictures is worth it for sure.

just make sure the pictures don't distort the truth.

post-63974-0-73004500-1381900511_thumb.j

• Like 1

you could also use a camera that stiches multi shot panoramas.

or use any camera and stitch your panoramas yourself in photoshop

That would not work for him. He is using the old real estate trick of using a wide angle lens which distorts the picture in such a way that the room looks bigger than it is.

There's an app for that as well :-)