ICJ sets Nov 11 for judgement on Preah Vihear conflict

webfact

ICJ sets Nov 11 for judgement on Preah Vihear conflict
By English News

13819038663841.jpg

SEOUL, Oct 16 – The International Court of Justice (ICJ) will judge on the border dispute between Thailand and Cambodia on November 11, the Thai foreign minister said today.

Surapong Tovichakchaikul, deputy prime minister and foreign minister, who is currently visiting South Korea said the Thai government would broadcast live the ICJ’s judgement together with a Thai translation.

He said he would chair a meeting of the Thai ad hoc committee to discuss measures to cope with the ruling, no matter what the results will be, and future procedures for joint management on the Thai-Cambodian border.

He expressed strong confidence that Thailand and Cambodia would come to an understanding thanks to a good relationship with Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Mr Surapong said he did not believe in the success of those who want to instigate unrest in case the judgement is unfavourable to Thailand.

“The present government is capable of holding talks with the Cambodian counterpart. It’s different from the previous government which ruined the bilateral relationship to the point that Cambodia had to bring up the issue in the international court,” said Mr Surapong. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-16

i hope the borders will reopen and cross border trade can flourish. Among so much else, the Emerald Triangle could reopen and this give access for Thai citizens to the 4000 islands in the Mekong River. Also, if the old road through the Baan Don Ao pass could be reactivated , there would be border trade activities from which everybody on both sides of the frontier can extremely profit.

My dream of free access and new roads to cross border community would come true.

I wish both sides a blind-free insight on the few acres of dirt the hassle was and is based upon.

With the leaders of Cambodia and Thailand being 'eternal brothers' and Thaksin being an ex employee of Hun Sen too I'm sure they will be able to come to some arrangement.... if they haven't already.

You forgot than a member of the Shin Dynasty has marries into the Khmer Rouge.

Hopefully the ICJ can make a final definitive judgement that can resolve the childish and dangerous bickering that has been going on.

And therein lies the problem, if one party say, Thailand has the judgement go against them, they will not respect the judgement anyway, visions of "the United Nations is not my father"

One suspects Thailand will only respect the judgement if it goes in their favour

Edited by Soutpeel