Jump to content

Electric Vehicles in Thailand


Recommended Posts

This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand. Not private imports but cars supported here with a dealer network.

 

Are you interested in an EV as your next car if so which one and why?

 

Do you know of any breaking news about EVs in Thailand? If so post here. 

 

This not a discussion about EVs v ICE cars  - for that go here:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1246109-ice-vs-ev-the-debate-thread/

 

This is not a discussion about Chinese cars - for that go here: 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1235921-why-so-many-chinese-cars-mg-cars-do-people-only-care-to-buy-something-cheap-whatever-is-the-quality/

 

Mods please delete any posts that try to hijack this thread. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

the larger issue is the cost of electricity - & of course (yes I know its coming & its great in some areas) the charging networks

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, eezergood said:

the larger issue is the cost of electricity - & of course (yes I know its coming & its great in some areas) the charging networks

 

The cost of electricity in Thailand is cheap. The UK is now about ฿17/kWh.

 

T.O.U. rate overnight in Thailand is ฿2.6/kWh

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i have been looking at a new suv, was thinking of hybrid, or ev, as the price of some brands have been reduced,

 

but ev's mg zs ev, havel, etc. are ok for short running about trips, but have a restricted distance, and no national network of charging ports, at home in some cases an extra electric metre is required, and for some households impossible to get a charging point fitted. condo's etc

 

hybrid nissan kicks, honda hrv etc. no problem with charging but, how good is the technology and is the increase mpg worth the possible future problems, 

 

in my mind the industry needs to improve as it will in the future, but for now buying maybe my last new car i think its worth sticking with the old reliable (not always), but been arounfd for a long time. so it ice for me

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had been seriously interested in an e-vehicle!

The problem is, for me anyway, that I am not allowed to install a wallbox in my condominium!
Neither in the underground parking nor outside!!!

Argument: Common Area, may not be used privately!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For the extreme CCs out there ... 😂

 

E-motorcycle ... 6 months & 2000 kms / 1243 miles later ...

 

Our actual mandatory driving and < 11 kms a day. 4000 kms / 2500 miles a year.

Cost about ฿6 / < $.20 cents per 75 kms. 

Yearly scooter operating cost; EV - ฿320 vs ICE - ฿4000

 

Less than $10 USD a year. That may triple when we move, since house is 3X further from the surf

Oh wait, we'll have solar, can you say ... FREE

 

That actual driving, non-rain days, is 1 morning cruise to the park & surf, just to make sure the surf is still there, then late afternoon to the surf, as dog needs to sniff, mark and do her business 2X a day.

 

Makro & 7-11, PEA & water are actually on the way, and could be squeezed in, and all are actually within walking or pedal / ebike ride distance.   But the 11 kms a day is fairly accurate for the 2 drives.  Park 1/2 km away, surf 1.7 km away, now.  Cruise the surf rd everyday, short end, just because it's there, and accounts for most of the kms.

 

Transportation, if needing or wanting, doesn't have to be expensive.

 

Yea, we have the MG ZS for shopping and out & abouts, short & long distances.  But reality, it's not needed, if you stay local, and just a convenience.  Entry level E-motorcycle / DECO - Sally model is ฿37k

image.png.019cda538475081eec6441dfa57e1fe8.png

 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

but ev's mg zs ev, havel, etc. are ok for short running about trips, but have a restricted distance, and no national network of charging ports

More than enough charging stations it Thailand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed

 

This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand. Not private imports but cars supported here with a dealer network.

 

Are you interested in an EV as your next car if so which one and why?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Here's a map of charging points for Thailand. I'm not sure what you mean by "national network" but this looks pretty much nationwide to me.

 

Screenshot_2022_0422_113651.png

could you post a link to that map

Link to post
Share on other sites

three weeks ago, i visited a volvo dealer for having a closer look at the xc40. they told me,

if  i order now i will get the car the earliest beginning of next year 😞 😞 

btw, i like the car but two exceptions: the inside looks very conservative and the consumption

is not as good as similar ev cars.

 

anyway, in the next few months we will hopefully see more new ev cars entering the thai market.

i am waiting also for the announcement (may?) the price and the availability for the hyunday ionic 5.

it would be a nice surprise, when the prices are similar to malaysia: starting rm 199'888 to the top

version rm 259'888 (1'570'000 thb to 2'040'000 thb)!!! 

 

https://24htech.asia/first-11-units-of-hyundai-ioniq-5-delivered-to-malaysian-customers-over-200-booked-since-launch-s934106.html

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

three weeks ago, i visited a volvo dealer for having a closer look at the xc40. they told me,

if  i order now i will get the car the earliest beginning of next year 😞 😞 

btw, i like the car but two exceptions: the inside looks very conservative and the consumption

is not as good as similar ev cars.

 

anyway, in the next few months we will hopefully see more new ev cars entering the thai market.

i am waiting also for the announcement (may?) the price and the availability for the hyunday ionic 5.

it would be a nice surprise, when the prices are similar to malaysia: starting rm 199'888 to the top

version rm 259'888 (1'570'000 thb to 2'040'000 thb)!!! 

 

https://24htech.asia/first-11-units-of-hyundai-ioniq-5-delivered-to-malaysian-customers-over-200-booked-since-launch-s934106.html

The Hyundai Ioniq 5, which was just recently crowned 2022 World Car of the Year would be great to see in Thailand.

 

 

 

ioniq5.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

I took the Ora Good Cat for a test drive this week and loved it.  The build quality was satisfyingly solid and it felt great to drive.  The showroom told me that orders were closing at midnight that day and I put it down to a sales tactic but sure enough GWM shows that orders are suspended temporarily.  I don't do long journeys and the 400 model would suit us perfectly (if only I could afford it).  

I believe I read they only had 1500 GWMs OGC available.  Same news-blip stated only 500 MG EP Plus available.  So possibly simply good customer service, so if ordered, not waiting till next year for delivery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, SymS said:

That's odd. When I go to the Thai version of website the promotion shows: https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg-ep/price
But not in English: https://www.mgcars.com/en/mg-models/new-mg-ep/price

Agreed it is a bit odd - I did a google translate of the Thai page, but maybe they haven't updated the English Language web page yet 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Agreed it is a bit odd - I did a google translate of the Thai page, but maybe they haven't updated the English Language web page yet 

Alternatively, the subsidies might only be available to Thai nationals. I'll have to check.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

could you post a link to that map

You'll need to Google, for more links to more maps.  Vendors have their own, updated maps.  MG site is pretty good, though only really updated for MG's charging station, if that.  Has drop down for about 5 more vendors, only 2 or 3 country wide, few others based in Krung Thep area.

 

Supposedly more than 1000 charging station now.  Lots of hotels & malls supply charging stations, and due to lack of high #s of EVs on the road, I've yet to see the complement of available chargers full, unless having 1, and being used, which is rare in itself.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You'll need to Google, for more links to more maps.  Vendors have their own, updated maps.  MG site is pretty good, though only really updated for MG's charging station, if that.  Has drop down for about 5 more vendors, only 2 or 3 country wide, few others based in Krung Thep area.

Not sure I agree with that. With the other 5 providers enabled, there are dozens and dozens of non-MG charging points (shown in blue on the map I posted). Overall, I'd say that map shows more non-MG charging stations, than MG ones.

 

For instance, here's the map with only the non-MG charging stations shown.

 

Screenshot_2022_0423_151859.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 11:53 AM, buddy2010 said:

I had been seriously interested in an e-vehicle!

The problem is, for me anyway, that I am not allowed to install a wallbox in my condominium!
Neither in the underground parking nor outside!!!

Argument: Common Area, may not be used privately!

Problem not only in Thailand. Also overseas many people can't buy an EV because of this issue. 

They not even allow charging your car using the household plug 220V, citing possible fire danger and of course there is no separate meter for billing

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...