Inexpensive Laptop

highonthai

Was thinking about buying a used or new laptop to drag back and forth with me.

Is it possible to find something for around $500.00? I only need it for basic stuff, email, internet and to copy pictures on to.

I'm not a computer Geek and know nothing at all about lap tops. Should I buy it here in the states or in CM? Any reccomendations?

Thanks

Edited by highonthai

You can do it in the UK for around £300 so I guess the answer is yes. I've normally found electronic stuff in Thailand only marginally cheaper than the UK and a dodgy guarantee, I imagine you would do as well or better in the US.

Veritas

If you are not a computer geek I would stay away from any used equipment – Used equipment will have no warranty, support and will have many software changes by the previous owner – and as always BUYER BEWARE

Since your need are basic I would buy a new basic computer from a large reputable maker like Dell or Gateway. (Stay away from those off names at Best Buy – you will never get a tech guy on the phone)

Here are a couple suggestions:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...c=iB120S2&s=dhs

http://gateway.com/products/gconfig/prodde...ystem_id=nx200s

I bought a Dell for my Dad but the Gateway I show above has a printer, Microsoft Works and a widescreen to watch DVDs for $599!!!

Make sure any computer you buy has a modem and wifi built in.

Select to have the operating software on a separate disk (You have to ask for this at Dell)

Do not let them sell you additional insurance – They make LOTS of money on that stuff – so you most likely lose in the deal…

And with any computer you decide – as soon as you get it (Before you make ANY changes to the software) find a “Geek” to make a COMPLETE MIRROR COPY of your hard drive with all the software that came with it onto a CD – This restore CD will be invaluable – It can be used in the future to have your computer hard drive returned to its original state if you get any nasty computer virus - Which will happen!!!!

Edited by sfokevin

If you do know a bit about computers I would buy a second hand in Pantip, can be had for $100-$200.

As you are only going to use it for the basics I would load a linux system like Knoppix.

www.knoppix.com

This system has all you need, runs fast and easy and do not need any updates or virus protection, best of all it's free.

I have just bought a new laptop, a bit more expensive than you are considering,

but while I was doing my research I was surprised just what is available new for $500.

Here are some pages to look at.

1. HP Pavillion

2.HP Presario

The prices in Thailand should be quite similar to the US.

The machines with AMD processors are particularly worth looking at IMHO

I own a Toshiba Satellite M30X-113, my computer got virus and I reformated the disk, then I try to use my recovery CD, it didn't work, because is damage, it has a big scratch, I contact Toshiba in Thailand and they told me "in Aisa we don't have this model", they ask me to contact USA, but USA don't have this model either, so may be some one here around have the same model

Model: SM30X-113

Model Part: PSA72E-00E01XNO

Sreial: X4720070G

I have just bought a new laptop, a bit more expensive than you are considering,

but while I was doing my research I was surprised just what is available new for $500.

Here are some pages to look at.

1. HP Pavillion

2.HP Presario

The prices in Thailand should be quite similar to the US.

The machines with AMD processors are particularly worth looking at IMHO

Juan, a quick google of your model number brings up mainly European links - That would indicate your model was designed and sold only in Europe - I would try Toshiba's website and choose a European country which you understand the lauguage and contact their tech support - they should be able to get you a replacement disk - or even better they may have it as a download somewhere on their website! - Good Luck

High on thai,

If your living mainly here then buy one here. I've had my Acer 10 months it gets heavy use and it's great. It was a cheap model (AMD) but has everything most people would need. There are a lot of service centers around and they are excellent.

I upgraded the RAM (bought elsewhere) no charge. I have had a new battery just replaced under warranty, no fuss at all. The Thai guy spoke good English, checked the battery capacity in windows gave me it back and said he'd order me a new one, it took 3 days.

My main reason for buying one was simple- like building a house, if you start solid it usually stays solid. The finest mainboards in the world are from Taiwan and that's where their made. Out of warranty that's the last thing I want to be replacing. They're no 1 here selling 49% of all notebooks and Malaysia is similar. They're great value, and you get a full 1 year warranty on the battery (a lot of the American ones were a disgraceful 6 months when I bought mine).

I also have a friend here who owns a computer shop and by far the greatest number of faults he gets in are HP HP HP.

Hope some of this helps just my experience for what it's worth. The only caution is to check the real time for battery usage as most of the pamphlets/brochures quote sneaky stand by times only!

Regards

MAK

Edited by makavelithedon

A bought an Acer Travelmate 3 year ago, it's had really heavy use, all the while I'm in Japan it's connected 24/7, never had a problem with it.

I will be looking to upgrade soon and will not hesitate to get another Acer. :o

I also have a friend here who owns a computer shop and by far the greatest number of faults he gets in are HP HP HP.

Is that because HP have a higher percentage of faults per x number of units, or is it because your friend sells a high volume of HPs in relation to the other brands he offers? Of course if he sells more HPs than any other brand, the number of returns he is going to get is going to be more than other brands.

Don't buy a new, unknown brand. I did this 8 years ago with AST, and the company went bust, leaving limited support infrastructure in place. The laptop market is extremely competitive these days, as laptops are increasingly replacing desktops. Shop around for a good deal. Acer, Compaq and Gateway are budget competitors. Toshibas can be really expensive, but also average depending on their moods - their prices tend to vary a lot. HP and LG are similar prices - usually more than Toshibas. Sony is the most expensive of the lot, and generally is not good value for money, nor is the technology the newest.

Singapore's a good place to buy electronics if you're heading that way anytime soon.

Always always always buy in the US if you have the choice. reasons: price and you can bring it back if no good

Rather a myopic point of view.

The guy may not be American........ There are other nationalities!!! :o

HighonThai,

It will be a good basic machine. Not lightning fast... but it is $450!!!

Since you are in LA i would go look at it at a Dell Direct store:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/c...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

Make the salesguy turn the machine off and reboot for you to see how long it takes to boot up and get up and running for you...

Pay the extra $10 for the XP Home Edition re-installation CD

Once you get it look into extra ram chip for $30-50 - will speed it up

Edited by sfokevin

If your looking for a good deal then this is what your looking for. I bouth one like this last december at phantip plaza in Bangkok i payed 27000 baht for it and i am very happy with it. It has al the function you are looking for and much more. It even has a build in camera and you get a bag and a extra mouse with it.

BELTA MODY S2 E150SD

Intel Celeron M Processor 370

(1.50Hz., 1MB. L2 cache, 400 MHz. FSB) Intel 915 GM CHIPSET Wireless 802.11 G FSB 400 L2 CACHE 1 MB. RAM 512 MB. DDR II INTEL GRAPHICS MEDIA

ACCELATOR 900 DISPLAY DVD RW 8X HDD. 40 GB. 2.2 kg. AZALIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO INTERFACE,

VIRTUAL 7.1 CHANNEL AUDIO OUTPUT 3D STEREO

ENHANCED SOUND SYSTEM TYPE II PCMCIA SOCKERT 4XUSB 2.0 PORTS. 1XMINI IEEE1394A PORT,

1XS-VIDEO JACK FOR TV OUTPUT (HDTV SUPPORT BY

TRANSFER CABLE ) 1XEXTERNAL CRT MONITOR OUTPUT

1XMICROPHONE JACK, 1XS/PDIF JACK, 1XRJ11 PORT FOR

MODEM , 1XLINE IN JACK, 1XDC IN JACK, BATTERY REMOVEABLE 6 CELLS

SMART LI-ON SCREEN SIZE 14.1” WXGA GLARE TFT

(WIDE SCREEN)

I hope this will help you