Visa Run Report

gk10002000

Just thought I would post about my border run to Cambodia yesterday. I decided to stay in Thailand two more weeks so I booked with the travel shop inside the Robin's Nest. I am an American and I know we only get 15 days on this land crossing visa whereas the Russians get 30 days. That grated on me but I knew it before. 2000 baht. Mini van picked me up at my hotel (Rattikit off of Soi Yume) right on time at 0630. Picked up two more people and off we went. We stopped for a toilet break at a place. Not much there but a 7-11 and gas and the toilets were of the squat variety. Sorry, but this old man has a bit of a problem with those. Luckily it was just a whiz. I noted they had a handicapped bathroom with a toilet and seat. Got to the Cambodia border. Ban Pakkard. I didn't like this. After we exited Thailand, we just waited outside near a little snack shop while they processed the passports. The last time I made a border run to Cambodia, we went to a place where we walked over a little moat and foot bridge into Cambodia. We had lunch there in a small casnino and waited while they finished the passport/visa thing. This time, we just stood in kind of a transit area. Anyway, after about 30 minutes we were back on the mini van heading back to Pattaya. After about 1 1/2 hours we stopped for lunch at a decent sized gas station, 7-11 and eating complex for a free lunch and soft drink. The food was OK. Had several choices, pork or chicken and rice, or soup etc. Again the toilets were of the squat type, but I used the "handicapped" bathroom that had a sit down toilet. I always carry some paper and note to bring your own paper unless you want to use the hose and hand wipe method. Back at my hotel by 3 PM.

I toyed with the idea of just paying the 200 baht a day fine, and paying up when I left in a few weeks but I didn't like the idea of traveling on an expired Visa. Just not a good idea to risk things like that in case you get stopped and delayed or worse. I noticed I only got 14 days, not 15 days. When I flew in originally back in September, I got a full 30 days.

All in all nothing special. The drive was OK. The roads were OK. The trip met my needs.

• Like 1

WOW! What an amazing tale.....I very much look forward to the tales of your next eventful journey.

This was a useful piece of information and I thank the author for it. I plan to make a visa run to Cambodia next March and it was helpful to see that things are about the same they were when I last made such a visa run on Christmas Eve 2007. So, thanks for the informative tale :)

• Like 2

If you take the date of the border-run and the last day of permission of stay it will presumably be 15 days.

Date of border-run: 23-10-2013........

the stamp in your passport is probably: 7-11-2013.

Nope. The stamp is the 6th of November. I got shorted a day.

Overstay fine is 500 baht a day, not 200 for a long time now.

Russians get 30 days because of an agreement bewteen Russia and Thaliand. The US doesn't have/want such agreement.

Really? 500 baht a day versus 200 baht? Several posts in the visa forum have been advising people to pay the 200 baht a day. Is tha maximum still 20,000 baht fine?

Shouldn't be using paper, it blocks the plumbing. Better to use the hose.

There is only so far Im willing to go to become real native. Besides, there are places with no hose, only a bowl with water. What am I supposed to with that??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I dispose of the paper properly.

Fortunately when I do my visa runs, I or my wife drive in a "non-hair-raising manner", therefore there is no reason for either of us to use the squat toilets. Should I have to do a visa-run with 1 of the lunatic drivers, I'm sure, like the OP's experience, I'd need the squat toilet. My question is, how would you dispose of the paper properly ? Bring it back on the mini-van to your home ? I am intrigued.

• Like 1

There is only so far Im willing to go to become real native. Besides, there are places with no hose, only a bowl with water. What am I supposed to with that??

That is to wash your hands in after you use them to eradicate your spoilt mess.

What, you never have done that?? Dirty.

• Like 2

Don't understand where all the winers or maybe I should say besserwissers come from, it's been a while since we've seen a boarder run report, this could very well be useful for some readers on the forum. Additionally if you're looking to strap yourself in, take a look at Five Star Visa Runs or 1st Class Visa Runs, they both run six seater vans equipped with seatbelts.

Sir I notice some members are hanging a bit of shit on your post Except for the Mod you have the most posts.Its hard to soar like an Eagle while you are flying with sparrows.I for one enjoyed your post,thank you for taking the time to post.All the best

• Like 2

"I used the "handicapped" bathroom that had a sit down toilet. I always carry some paper and note to bring your own paper unless you want to use the hose and hand wipe method."

Thanks for all this info. I really needed to hear that.

And the award for most pointless post goes to.....

You might be a world traveller but this post might be of interest to someone else contemplating a visa run.

Why not ignore the post rather than badmouth them?

Don't understand where all the winers or maybe I should say besserwissers come from, it's been a while since we've seen a boarder run report, this could very well be useful for some readers on the forum. Additionally if you're looking to strap yourself in, take a look at Five Star Visa Runs or 1st Class Visa Runs, they both run six seater vans equipped with seatbelts.

With "up-market" names like "Five Star Visa Runs" and "1st Class Visa Runs" do either of these company minivans have onboard toilets with quality tissue?

Would make a visa run far more pleasant knowing you had that security as opposed to unpleasant surprises when it comes to using a squat toilet at a service station.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

With "up-market" names like "Five Star Visa Runs" and "1st Class Visa Runs" do either of these company minivans have onboard toilets with quality tissue?

Would make a visa run far more pleasant knowing you had that security as opposed to unpleasant surprises when it comes to using a squat toilet at a service station.

<deleted>...? Does the elevator go all the way to the top?