Your thoughts on Thong Lor area

tool84

Hi,

I'd like to know what the consensus on this area of Bkk is. Do you think it is a good area for hanging out, is there a good choice of entertainment, restaurants, cafe, shopping, etc. Do you think it is expensive or you get a good value for your money since it is considered more of a high end place.

Thanks

if you live near the Petchburi road end of Thong Lo, getting to Sukhumvit/BTS can be a pain due to the traffic. So I would recommend finding a place that is walkable to sukhumvit if you need to leave the Thong Lo area often. Its a nice area but due to its popularity can be difficult to get around - motorcycle taxis are a must!

also; @poster above me - I recommend you edit out the "very" part of your young girls statement. Dips into the creepy zone.

Edited by kblaze
  • Like 1

Simply put Thong Lor IS the place that's hot in Bangkok these days. Go there late in the evening and you will be amazed by the number of very expensive automobiles lining this Soi. Great restaurants that attract both Hi-So Thai's and well wheeled Farangs. Those on a budget would best be served going elsewhere. There are restaurants to suit every taste.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thong Lor is THE hi-so place in Bangkok these days. Lots of great places to eat, drink and listen to music. It ain't cheap. But you get what you pay for...sometimes. Everything is more expensive there.

It is an incredibly crowded area. Make sure you know the traffic patterns before you relocate. A few soi's are insanely crowded. Luckily, scooter taxis are 20B for going pretty much anywhere in the area.

My friend gave me a tour last weekend of the houses in the area and who owns them. The top of the top (financially and politically anyway) here in Thailand.

Go there on a weekend, grab a street side table at the wine bar, and check out the action.

thong lor is overpriced and over rated

its fast becoming a farang gheto it always had alot of japanese expats and families so i really dont understand the fascination with living there. the local police are amongst the worst in bangkok for stopping a whole variety of people from various social backgrounds

and its not the only place where wealthy thais live or hang out for that thong lor has competition in soi aree, prachinwet 1, ramindra, crystal design centre etc

nowadays in bangkok every area has been sanitised to foreign needs so its no problem to find better value for money and a better local comunity to live in

Edited by humbug